Thread: Lake Bonneville Animation

Blog Entries

Lake Bonneville Animation

Those who are unfamiliar with Utah topography, the remaining Great Salt Lake was once part of a much larger lake (10x the size) called Lake Bonneville.

Throughout the millennium, the lake level rised and fall creating a couple of shorelines that are still evident in the state. The most common or prevalent one is called “the Bonneville Shoreline” from which a lot of hikes in northern Utah have their trailheads located.

But check it out below for more history and other shorelines in its history.

http://www.aero-graphics.com/lake-bo...ood-animation/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pretty cool, I'll have to watch it when I have time.

As I was biking out at Antelope Island last month, it reminded me of how the Bonneville Shoreline level out there was actually a few feet higher in altitude than the level of the mountains along the Wasatch Front.

Any guesses as to why that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Pretty cool, I'll have to watch it when I have time.

As I was biking out at Antelope Island last month, it reminded me of how the Bonneville Shoreline level out there was actually a few feet higher in altitude than the level of the mountains along the Wasatch Front.

Any guesses as to why that is?
    That's a great question Beech. I'm looking into it...

That video is really cool. At full pool, Lake Bonneville would've buried the Church Office building under 700 feet of water!
    Last edited by rockgremlin; 01-18-2019 at 12:34 PM.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Blog Entries

Lake Bonneville Animation

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    That's a great question Beech. I'm looking into it...
    In the video, not that this directly answers your question, but gives you something to think about. They said that Lake Bonneville was so heavy that it depressed the earths crust by 300 or something feet underneath it and when it receeded and evaporated, that same ground rebounded up like 200+ ft.

I thought what was curious was the different shorelines it created over the tens of thousands of years it was here.

- Stansbury
    - Bonneville
    - Provo
    - Gilbert

Edit: this is Wikipedia says about Lake Bonneville at Antelope island:

“...By 12,000 years ago, the lake reached a level even lower than that of modern day Great Salt Lake. A slight transgression or rise in lake level occurred about 10,900 to 10,300 years ago and formed the Gilbert shoreline. The Gilbert shoreline is the least conspicuous of the major shorelines but evidence of it remains at Antelope Island and in large coasts areas, such as the Fingerpoint Spit bear the Hogup Mountains.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    In the video, not that this directly answers your question, but gives you something to think about. They said that Lake Bonneville was so heavy that it depressed the earths crust by 300 or something feet underneath it and when it receeded and evaporated, that same ground rebounded up like 200+ ft.
    Yes that's it, the weight of the water pushed the surface down, and once it evaporated the crust came up a bit, raising the shoreline mark on the islands.

7. Likes jman liked this post
    Very interesting! Thanks for sharing that.
    Happy Hiking
    ShaunasAdventures
    https://www.shaunasadventures.com/

9. Likes jman liked this post
    Very informative video.

Laughable side story....my nut job of an 8th grade science teacher told us that Lake Bonneville was suddenly upended (from what, he never explained) and spilled southward. The resulting erosional forces created the Grand Canyon.

So now I know what really happened....

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Laughable side story....my nut job of an 8th grade science teacher told us that Lake Bonneville was suddenly upended (from what, he never explained) and spilled southward. The resulting erosional forces created the Grand Canyon.

I was always told that the Grand Canyon formed suddenly and spontaneously the moment Christ was crucified and all the rocks on Earth were rent in twain.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.