Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: White Privilege

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This is a pretty good article by Kyle Korver, Utah Jazz player. Here is a snip-it.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en...-utah-jazz-nba

"What I’m realizing is, no matter how passionately I commit to being an ally, and no matter how unwavering my support is for NBA and WNBA players of color….. I’m still in this conversation from the privileged perspective of opting in to it. Which of course means that on the flip side, I could just as easily opt out of it. Every day, I’m given that choice — I’m granted that privilege — based on the color of my skin.

In other words, I can say every right thing in the world: I can voice my solidarity with Russ after what happened in Utah. I can evolve my position on what happened to Thabo in New York. I can be that weird dude in Get Out bragging about how he’d have voted for Obama a third term. I can condemn every racist heckler I’ve ever known.

But I can also fade into the crowd, and my face can blend in with the faces of those hecklers, any time I want.

I realize that now. And maybe in years past, just realizing something would’ve felt like progress. But it’s NOT years past — it’s today. And I know I have to do better. So I’m trying to push myself further.

I’m trying to ask myself what I should actually do."
    Life is Good

4. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    "I’m trying to ask myself what I should actually do."
    It's an impossible question to answer until the black community can answer that questions. Some blacks just want an equal opportunity, and I get that... but... some will never be happy until whitey is enslaved as payback.

Until the Black community steps up, proves direction, takes responsibility and unifies under one voice they will always have trouble integrating. Other people of color doesn't seem to have this issue. Latino, Asian, Pacific Islanders have all stepped up an done a great job of integrating, I'm not sure why the black community doesn't follow suit.

The big item everyone seems to miss is that the white guys with the ships bought the black slaves from the black natives. The black slaves use to be genocided after a black on black tribal war (kind of like the drug wars in Chicago). The white Portuguese said "don't do that, we will pay you for them and take them away where you will never be bothered again by them". So in reality, almost black person in America owes their existence to the white guys that saved their genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    It's an impossible question to answer until the black community can answer that questions. Some blacks just want an equal opportunity, and I get that... but... some will never be happy until whitey is enslaved as payback.

Until the Black community steps up, proves direction, takes responsibility and unifies under one voice they will always have trouble integrating. Other people of color doesn't seem to have this issue. Latino, Asian, Pacific Islanders have all stepped up an done a great job of integrating, I'm not sure why the black community doesn't follow suit.

The big item everyone seems to miss is that the white guys with the ships bought the black slaves from the black natives. The black slaves use to be genocided after a black on black tribal war (kind of like the drug wars in Chicago). The white Portuguese said "don't do that, we will pay you for them and take them away where you will never be bothered again by them". So in reality, almost black person in America owes their existence to the white guys that saved their genetics.

Yes -- agree with all of this. And I'll take it a step further. I don't know the exact number, but I've posed the question numerous times in various threads over the years on this forum: What do reparations look like?

It's a serious question -- When the black community speaks of 'reparations', what exactly does that mean, specifically?

I'm assuming it involves some kind of monetary compensation. Does it include a one time payment? A monthly installment? A tax break?

Either way, what the black community is really missing in this discussion is this: When you attempt to compensate a group of people today for atrocities that were committed yesterday, the very act of compensation cheapens and denigrates the experiences of those who endured them in the first place.

In other words, if you try and offer money for utterly heinous acts of rape and murder on a group of people, it minimizes the experiences of those who were subjected to those acts. So they think that you can just buy off years of rape and murder with money? Since when is that ever considered a just or moral solution? To me, that smacks of greed. That they are looking to profit from the hardships that their ancestors endured for generations may well be even worse than the acts that were committed under slavery itself.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I think Dr. Seuss had a pretty good answer and explanation for it all. (The movie is annoying but the message, albeit simplistic, is spot on.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdLPe7XjdKc
    Life is Good

I think Dr. Seuss had a pretty good answer and explanation for it all. (The movie is annoying but the message, albeit simplistic, is spot on.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdLPe7XjdKc

Dr. Seuss was actually a very scathing political cartoonist before he landed into the realm of children's books.

It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

9. Likes Scott Card, Iceaxe liked this post
    Nothing better than woke white people calling out other people to acknowledge their white privilege.

Name:  B446B6D3-80F7-47E9-B14F-2DD53C9D6840.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  22.4 KB

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

12. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    This is a pretty good article by Kyle Korver, Utah Jazz player. Here is a snip-it.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en...-utah-jazz-nba

"What I’m realizing is, no matter how passionately I commit to being an ally, and no matter how unwavering my support is for NBA and WNBA players of color….. I’m still in this conversation from the privileged perspective of opting in to it. Which of course means that on the flip side, I could just as easily opt out of it. Every day, I’m given that choice — I’m granted that privilege — based on the color of my skin.

In other words, I can say every right thing in the world: I can voice my solidarity with Russ after what happened in Utah. I can evolve my position on what happened to Thabo in New York. I can be that weird dude in Get Out bragging about how he’d have voted for Obama a third term. I can condemn every racist heckler I’ve ever known.

But I can also fade into the crowd, and my face can blend in with the faces of those hecklers, any time I want.

I realize that now. And maybe in years past, just realizing something would’ve felt like progress. But it’s NOT years past — it’s today. And I know I have to do better. So I’m trying to push myself further.

I’m trying to ask myself what I should actually do."
    This was an interesting response to Korver's article by Jason Whitlock, basically tearing him up in "Woke Heaven", calling him out for being a white Twitter celebrity and just echoing what other Twitter celebrities say and repeat for each other's praise:

https://twitter.com/SFY/status/1115757029363073025

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    This was an interesting response to Korver's article by Jason Whitlock, basically tearing him up in "Woke Heaven", calling him out for being a white Twitter celebrity and just echoing what other Twitter celebrities say and repeat for each other's praise:

https://twitter.com/SFY/status/1115757029363073025
    Which begs the question: Can a rich white guy say anything meaningful about the issue to the black community? Or have we all been judged and condemned?
    Life is Good

15. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Any real change in the black community will have to come from within.

From the likes of Charles Barkley and Candace Owens.

And no--I don't believe any white folks, especially wealthy ones, can have an impact on the black community, since the obama years.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

PSA to all of you bigots that use the ashtag symbol. The left has declared this to now be a racist white supremesis symbol now, so quit using it !!!! 😡😡😡

Name:  E3537092-5CC4-4373-9EE9-A75C60C71B2C.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  17.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BasinCruiser View Post
    PSA to all of you bigots that use the ashtag symbol. The left has declared this to now be a racist white supremesis symbol now, so quit using it !!!! 

Name:  E3537092-5CC4-4373-9EE9-A75C60C71B2C.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  17.6 KB

Dang--and I still thought it's meaning was "pound"
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

19. Likes Scott Card liked this post
    Name:  BE9D65E5-3524-4EB4-B886-163E5D6B7725.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  28.5 KB

21. Likes devo_stevo, dougrz, twotimer, rockgremlin liked this post

Y’all got any more of that white privilege?

Name:  DB2B25FD-1867-4762-9B7F-7605ECC5595C.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  31.0 KB

Y’all got any more of that white o POP privilege?

Name:  DB2B25FD-1867-4762-9B7F-7605ECC5595C.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  31.0 KB
    Only to have their land confiscated again when they're successful and productive? No thanks.

25. Likes BasinCruiser liked this post
    Truth.

Name:  ABA8F85D-9C86-4529-8432-79E9D4439638.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  19.9 KB

27. Likes devo_stevo, Sombeech, rockgremlin liked this post
    Truth.

Name:  ABA8F85D-9C86-4529-8432-79E9D4439638.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  19.9 KB
    This shot is taken from her mistaken trip to South America by boat and then finding out they moved the whole damn conference. It's Gold, Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    I'll go back to what I keep going back to in these threads. Do you know anyone in your everyday life that is close to thinking about revolution? Me neither. Are there some nut jobs out there who would like this? Sure. The white nationalists up in Idaho, some of those clowns that took over the wildlife refuge a few years ago, some extreme left wing weirdos, etc., But that vast majority of Americans are nowhere near thinking of revolution. In fact, I know nobody personally who would think that. But if yo live your life online, who knows what you come up with. If you only read tabloid garbage like Huffpo and TheDailyCaller I'm afraid you have a very skewed and inaccurate view of the real world.

Hey Uinta. How well is this post aging?
    I learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice.

Preferred Pronoun: Lambda-Gamma-Beta.

Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

30. Likes Iceaxe, dougrz liked this post