Thread: NASCAR

NASCAR

This video nailed it.... I used to be a huge NASCAR fan, traveling to several races each year and watching the others on TV. But Brian France has destroyed the sport. NASCAR is a dead man walking. RIP...

https://youtu.be/I0vqUaV9eoA

Climb-Utah.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The video alluded to it a bit in talking about interest in drifting and such, but the young American male interest in engines and cars is way down. Still blows me away when talking to early 20 somethings how so few work on their cars, care to, or know about mechanicals. But they know music and social media and phone operating systems. The days of hanging with dad and doing car maintenance as the standard are no more.

I agree, I saw a survey recently where 90% of high school kids if given the choice between a car and a smart phone, would choose the smart phone. That just blows me away. When I was a kid a car was everything.

5. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    I agree with most of the points in the video including being politically correct and cookie cutter tracks (loosing the unique tracks) as contributing factors, but I think he missed the biggest reason.

Nascar signing the deal with network TV stations for hundreds of millions of dollars is the primary reason for the downward spiral, IMHO. All of a sudden the winners purse was 10 times what it was previous. No one has to fight to win to pay their bills anymore. They just show up for a few years, win or lose, and they've made enough money to last a lifetime of luxurious living. Wasn't like that in the good old days.

I saw the previews for the pathetic new series on CMT about racing wives. That ain't Nascar. That ain't redneck/blue collar racing. Nascar has gone Hollywood. I watched the first of the last race at Homestead and it about made me puke with all the glitz and glamour. What the hell has become of the sport I became obsessed with 1989?

I can't even tell where my favorites are on the track anymore because they change the sponsor every week. I used to watch races on my 19" Sony and could see where all the racers were without the modern ticker going across the screen the whole time. Way too hard to follow now and too easy to loose interest.

Another good take on the situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkaXjaXyod4

7. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?