Thread: New Years road trip...

New Years road trip...

Spent Dec 28 to Jan 1st in a motel at Hanksville to do canyons in the North Wash. "Adjacent" to the Freeze Fest, you can say...ran into Mr. Jones down at Hog Springs. Was there with friends and had a great time despite snow and some serious cold air, especially in the mornings. A couple of canyons we wanted to do were impossible because of the snow. Went to Vegas to mountain bike and then to the Grand Canyon. Was there when the big snowstorm hit.

Red Rocks campground just west of Vegas was closed (bummer) but Lake Mead was open and camping was free. The Grand was open and everything was fine there, too. The "shutdown" saved me more than $100 in camping fees.

Name:  PC280001.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  89.7 KBName:  P1040075.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  91.0 KBName:  PC310065.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  69.2 KBName:  fullsizeoutput_4cb.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  19.1 KBName:  fullsizeoutput_4ca.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  23.9 KBName:  fullsizeoutput_4c3.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  24.9 KBName:  fullsizeoutput_4bf.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  24.0 KBName:  fullsizeoutput_4be.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  25.2 KBName:  fullsizeoutput_4cf.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  25.0 KBName:  P1060082.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  90.3 KB
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

^^^That morning shot over the Grand Canyon is breathtaking.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

4. Likes Utah Canyoneer liked this post
    That shot was actually late in the afternoon. It had been snowing hard all day with zero visibility. The snow on the south side was all the way down to the Tonto...Indian Gardens got at least two inches. I was going to backpack down for a few days but the last time I hiked out with heavy snow, I declared never again in those conditions.

The problem is that with people venturing down a ways and bit of melt, the trail becomes an ice sheet. Climbing all the way up from the Supai on a glacier sucks.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Which North Wash canyons did you do?

Leps, Blarney?...ya know, that one to the north. A couple of the Hogs...no. 3 is my favorite. Also Hogwarts. Mostly 3/4 type days with the exception of the Hogs.

Wanted to get Shenanigans and Slidenaide but no dice.

The top pic is heading for Middle Lep from the top. The first half of the slot was sketchy in spots with the slippery snow, but the chamber was dry. Gotta be more careful when it's like this.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

8. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Bob Allan has a nice report on our time in the NW on his blog.

amazingslots.blogspot.com
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

10. Likes kaniukr liked this post
    yeah, love that last photo!

Quote Originally Posted by kaniukr View Post
    yeah, love that last photo!
    Thanks, Ross. Indeed, that is from my new TG-5. No effects or anything like that...straight from the camera in AUTO mode.

This thing is like a small computer. I haven't the slightest idea how to "manually" set a thing, like F stops and whatever. Sometime before spring I need to learn how to use this camera that way. If you know a website that explains how to do these things, by all means direct me to it. Otherwise I'll figure it out.

Next time I see you, I ask you to show me a trick or two. Here's another shot from that camera...pretty sharp, eh? It does take good pictures.

Name:  PC290024.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  62.9 KB
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

13. Likes kaniukr liked this post
    You've probably got it, but I've just emailed you the full instructions manual (things don't come with them anymore!). But yes, this camera is a bit of a nightmare to learn. I've only had 4 cameras since I used manual stuff, but there were similarities in the other three even though two were Canon DSLRs & one a Panasonic compact, but this one has complete odd methods of its own! I spent ages reading, asking questions on camera forums & playing with it - but there are so few wet canyons in London I forget it all & have to re-read!!

But I wouldn't worry too much as if I recall you only have three F stop choices at any one time (I think different ISO settings may change it to a different 3 if I recall correctly, but never over three). And I read online somewhere that the camera has a good depth of field so that whichever you choose anything over 6ft away should be ok.