Thread: politics

politics

Would it be possible to put all politicla threads in only one forum (folder) and then implement a tool so that a user can hide that folder

I am sick of seeing politics on an outdoor forum

2. Likes jman liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'd have no issues if the powers that be created a political sub forum. But I'd be against hiding it or burying it as we tried that before and it didn't work. You can go look in the basement and see that forum still exists and was a failure.

At some point folks have to be grown up and responsible enough to just not click on certain threads or sub forums.

Bogley has always been a wide and varied forum. It has a sports and fantasy sports section which could be argued has the same relevance as politics, particularly when some politics has a direct impact on our outdoor recreation, just look at Bears Ears and Escalante. Or the government shutdown and our National Parks. I would hate for Bogley to decide what politics I'm aloud to see.

YMMV

I feel the same way about lots of other posts, but I just ignore the topics I don't care for. The sub-forums do a really good job at sticking on topic. Like you're never going to see a thread about gun control in the canyoneering sub-forum. General Discussion is just that: General Discussion - about anything and everything.

If you don't care for what's being discussed in the General discussion just stick to sub-forums or just ignore the crap you don't like.

We had a big blow up about this about a year ago, and several folks bailed. In the end it was decided that folks should just ignore what they don't care for because it's impossible to tailor a website for everybody's likes and preferences.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

6. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    What if we put the political forum as a subforum under General Discussion?

There are pros and cons about mixing politics in the general forum. There are a lot of folks that say politics don't belong in an outdoor forum, but we constantly see these very same people happily (or angrily) engaged in deep political discussions within outdoor groups on Facebook.

Political discussion does carry a flow of traffic to the forum, but others can be turned off by politics. If it's buried way down at the bottom, I think we've seen that both the General and the Political forums die off.

What if we were to put the political stuff up top in General, but as a sub forum? Easy to get to, but still separate from the general discussion?

Yeah, no sub forum. The General Discussion is just that- for anything. I just ignore threads I have no interest in.
    Are we there yet?

Ok I'm convinced, leave the General Forum as is. After all, it is the General forum and politics are general. It's not like the political threads are not properly identified. Easy enough to just not click on them.

Blog Entries

politics

I think a lot of people use Tapatalk to view their forums. I do and totally understand what kiwi is taking about.

It’s like this in a linear fashion:

Trump
    AR-15
    Trump
    Obama
    Utah utes
    Utah basketball
    BYU football
    LDS church news
    LDS church news 2
    Trump
    Trump
    Trump
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Trump
    Borderwall
    Trump and Russia
    Trump and government shutdown
    Trump
    Trump
    Trump
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Trump
    My TR to Upper Calf Creek Falls
    Trump
    Trump
    Trump
    Trump
    Trump
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Trump
    Trump
    Trump
    Trump
    Trump and Immigration
    Trump and His Monument aka the Wall
    Trump is a racist
    Trump wife hates him
    Everyone hates trump
    Trump
    Trump
    Trump
    Trump
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Trump
    Trump
    Utah Snow report
    Trump
    Trump
    Trump
    Trumtrump
    Trump
    Trump
    Trump
    Trumbedore
    Trumbledoof
    FBI investigations
    Trump
    Trump
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Spam
    Trump
    LDS church news part 3
    Trump
    Trump
    Spam
    Spam

Get the idea? That’s literally what everyday is like logging into Bogley is via Tapatalk.

When you visit the forum itself not using Tapatalk THEN you can ignore all of the political stuff, but it’s not user friendly on a smartphone hence the reason for Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

12. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    ^^^ That can get old.

This is long overdue but let me see if there's a way to limit the "what's new" to 1 latest post from the thread, not multiple new posts in a row from the same thread.

I'll see what i can find. It will cut down a lot of those repeat listings, if I can find the setting.

Thanks for the feedback.

I want to see everything that's new when I hit the what's new button. But if you could get rid of the 20 spam messages each day that would be awesome.

And the reason politics occupies such a large portion is that's what's popular and producing the most traffic... So there is that...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I want to see everything that's new when I hit the what's new button. But if you could get rid of the 20 spam messages each day that would be awesome.

And the reason politics occupies such a large portion is that's what's popular and producing the most traffic... So there is that...

Also, it seems ineveitable that (sim-to Godwin's law), the longer any discussion on here goes, politics creeps into the discussion, anyway.

I think the political discussions are entertaining and interesting...without them this place would be dull and dead. Quit bitching and post up something otherwise.

My recent road trip report forthcoming.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I think a lot of people use Tapatalk to view their forums. I do and totally understand what kiwi is taking about.

It’s like this in a linear fashion:

Trump
    AR-15
    Trump
    Obama
    Utah utes
    Utah basketball
    BYU football
    LDS church news
    LDS church news 2
    Trump

ETC....

Literally laughed out loud at this. It's funny because it true, and at the same time it's not funny for the same reason.

I wish the interface could be more user friendly across all platforms as it would clear up a lot of headaches.

19. Likes jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post

Literally laughed out loud at this. It's funny because it true, and at the same time it's not funny for the same reason.

I wish the interface could be more user friendly across all platforms as it would clear up a lot of headaches.
    I agree.

And when people post pictures in a thread too, it messes up the formatting too and can be confusing.

I think Tapatalk works great for the most part, but it still needs some work like you were saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post

I wish the interface could be more user friendly
    You know what we all wish your face was more user friendly too

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    You know what we all wish your face was more user friendly too

I make up for it with my sweet spirit.

politics

Forum Title: General Discussion
    Description: Just for Fun! Let's talk!

Seems pretty clear to me. If we see politics dominating an outdoor titled forum, then they should be moved, unless they pertain to that topic.

There were some good points made about improving Tapatalk, the interface, etc. If you guys have solutions that appease all, we’ll give you an Admin login to fix it. Just don’t break anything...