Thread: Grandstaff Canyon Trail Morning Glory Natural Bridge Arch Moab, Utah

Grandstaff Canyon Trail Morning Glory Natural Bridge Arch Moab, Utah

Name:  GRandstaff.JPG
Views: 450
Size:  56.4 KBName:  Grandstaff_Canyon_Morning_Glory Natural_Bridge_Arch_ShaunasAdventures.JPG
Views: 490
Size:  69.9 KBName:  Grandstaff.2.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  20.6 KB

It speaks highly of a trail if it can be even more spectacular in the snow and winter as it is in the other months. This is that trail and more, and this one might even be prettier in the winter. As I was walking, I was shocked at the Grandness of this hike. I wondered, how do you ever describe this? The river is so beautiful that you get to walk along and cross over multiple times. The cliffs are just huge and GRAND in their size, and they are in front of you, and on both sides of you. Even though it is hard to come up with words, I will say I I thought the Grandness paralleled the Grandness of God. I will say I was filled with awe. I felt humble and small, just as I feel when I think of our Heavenly Father, but our Heavenly Father does not want us to feel small, HE loves you more than you could possibly imagine, and that love is huge and GRAND like this canyon.

If you are interested in this hike, you can walk it in 360 degrees on my blog. Check it out.
    https://www.shaunasadventures.com/20...yon-trail.html
    Happy Hiking
    ShaunasAdventures
    https://www.shaunasadventures.com/

2. Likes rockgremlin, moab mark liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    nice pictures and report but to a lot of us, it will always be negro bill canyon.
    grandstaff doesn't even sound right and i think it was a misogynist who came up with the name...
    why not--grandslot or grandcrack or........
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Amazing pictures.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    nice pictures and report but to a lot of us, it will always be negro bill canyon.
    grandstaff doesn't even sound right and i think it was a misogynist who came up with the name...
    why not--grandslot or grandcrack or........
    I could be mistaken Kurt but I think Grandstaff was actually his last name but I could be drunk.

Here you go.

FWIW - Negro Bill Canyon was the second name used for the canyon, up until the mid 70's it was ****** Bill Canyon. I still have some of the old USGS maps with that name listed. I collect the old USGS maps when I can find them, because also up until the mid 70's the USGS maps showed known native American rock art and ruins.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    I could be mistaken Kurt but I think Grandstaff was actually his last name but I could be drunk.

I'm pretty sure you're not drunk but you are correct.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

I knew it was changed because of the N word, but it is fun to see the write up.
    Happy Hiking
    ShaunasAdventures

Grand County city council thought they were being so high minded and politically correct by changing Negro Bill Canyon to Grandstaff Canyon, but in the first place the term "Negro" is NOT derogatory. It's been used in the same context as Caucasian or Hispanic for years. There is nothing defamatory or demeaning with the word Negro.

In the second place, the NAACP came out in open objection to changing the name from Negro Bill to Grandstaff. If any organization were to endorse changing a name in the interest of political correctness, it would be the NAACP. But that was very much not the case.

Here's a quote directly from the NAACP about the matter:

“The NAACP received word this morning that the US Board of Geographic Names changed the name of Negro bill canyon to grand staff canyon. Of course, we are disappointed, because our intent is to let people know that Negro is not an offensive word like some people were saying. What the NAACP want to make sure is that the history of the Negro bill canyon is not lost. The NAACP would like to make sure that literature is provided to visitors that come into the canyon area, as well as the state of Utah about the history of Negro bill canyon.”​

https://fox13now.com/2017/10/12/naac...o-bill-canyon/

The idiocy of "political correctness" knows no bounds.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

12. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Interesting. I liked that it honored that it was a black man that this was named after. Sad that it got changed.
    Happy Hiking
    ShaunasAdventures

14. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post