Thread: 2020

That's funny....

Climb-Utah.com

2. Likes devo_stevo, BasinCruiser liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'd love to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Looks like Michael Bloomberg is entering the Presidential race. While I can't stand the guy he will give the Democrats a moderate who isn't Creepy Joe. If Bloomberg enters the race my money instantly goes on him to win the Democratic nomination.

Climb-Utah.com
    That would be interesting. I'd expect Biden to fade if so, yes. But once the field thins and the hard left picks their one, I still don't see how the "moderate" wing of the party wins that tussle.

Buttigieg has been proclaimed the next moderate to rise, so Bloomberg faces his potential momentum.

I don't follow polls or the news. Just convos with people and snippets here and there. I'm probably completely wrong.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Well alright then, everyone gets free stuff

I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Name:  2131970C-4B95-4B1B-B7AD-09C7AF10BB58.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  19.6 KB

Name:  4DCEB5C8-866C-4CB9-8846-E3A420FECF2A.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  22.0 KB

Will Bloomberg’s position on weed be the prominent nail in his candidacy coffin before it even gets off the ground? Although, while the left predominantly supports pot, theory suggests that the Dems will fight against FEDERAL legalization anyway, because it is a backdoor route to gun prohibition for partakers. Which is probably the real reason he is against it.

Name:  AB79E352-CBF2-4660-B1CE-3626B338DA8C.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  20.0 KB

https://reason.com/2019/01/23/michae...O8Ycqnivw_pH9U

Quote Originally Posted by BasinCruiser View Post
    Will Bloomberg’s position on weed be the prominent nail in his candidacy coffin before it even gets off the ground? Although, while the left predominantly supports pot, theory suggests that the Dems will fight against FEDERAL legalization anyway, because it is a backdoor route to gun prohibition for partakers. Which is probably the real reason he is against it.

Name:  AB79E352-CBF2-4660-B1CE-3626B338DA8C.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  20.0 KB

https://reason.com/2019/01/23/michae...O8Ycqnivw_pH9U

Oh because our "war on drugs" was going so well? Mexico is on the brink of legalizing and MJ is already legal in Canada. So we'd be sandwiched between two countries who have legalized.

Trump should just come out and legalize weed thereby taking away that gun prohibition backdoor loophole. It's going to happen eventually anyway, might as well be Trump who gets the credit.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Legalize ALL drugs, force users to register, and you will know who the criminals are because a guy with a $200 a day drug habit and no job is someone you should be watching. Not to mention it will eliminate the cartels and organized crime. The final step is to tax the shit out of recreational drugs and use the money to get addicts the help they really need and repair the damage drugs cause.

Climb-Utah.com

12. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Legalize ALL drugs, force users to register, and you will know who the criminals are because a guy with a $200 a day drug habit and no job is someone you should be watching. Not to mention it will eliminate the cartels and organized crime. The final step is to tax the shit out of recreational drugs and use the money to get addicts the help they really need and repair the damage drugs cause.

Climb-Utah.com
    Totally agree with this although you'd be burned at the stake for saying something like this in public. Drugs have been demonized and vilified to the extent that the notion of legalizing them is unspeakable for the vast majority of the general population.

Seems to be working reasonably well in Portugal though:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal

Unfortunately the taxes on substances NEVER work out to fund the wanted programs.

That's because it's not written into the law that it can't be used elsewhere. Taxes work when they are earmarked for a specific use in the law, but if they are sweep into the general fund not so much...

Climb-Utah.com

Another problem with the 'tax the @#$# out of rec drugs' is that when they are so high, this still creates a demand for blackmarket product, which puts a hard ceiling on how much $ revenue will actually be pulled in.

Also, the problem with taxing products and earmarking them specifically for program A, is that it often doesn't do anything for program A because the funds are rarely increased. In other words, let's say for example that the government takes $1M out of the general fund to pay for program A. Then they pass a law to tax a product and earmark those funds for program A. In effect, they then stop pulling money from the general fund for program A, an program A is left to be funded purely from those earmarked funds. If those earmarked funds only amont to $1M, then all you've really done is increase the general fund by $1M by not taking it out of the general to fund program A.

Sorry, i didn't mean to sidetrack this thread to a conversation about what to do with MJ. I was simply questioning how Bloomberg's stance on MJ will affect his candidacy for 2020 POTUS.

Regardless of anyone's stance on MJ, one thing is for certain that I think everyone can agree with:

It costs much more to continue this failed war on drugs than it does to just legalize and tax. And that is something that any 2020 candidate can and should address.

18. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by BasinCruiser View Post
    I was simply questioning how Bloomberg's stance on MJ will affect his candidacy for 2020 POTUS.
    He's toast.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Legalize ALL drugs
    Up until pretty recently, I was very much against this. I reckoned it'll just eat up more lives.

Now I don't care...there's already shittons of tore up people anyway. What's a few tens of thousands more?

Funny...the older I've gotten, the less I care about the "general public". I'm not misanthropic, just over spending so much brain power on being concerned.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

21. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    I always look at alcohol and prohition to see what a disaster it is to try and legislate morals. Alcohol is still a problem, but by legalizing it we have much more control over it's use, distribution and the problems that come with it.

FWIW - I believe prostitution should be legalized for basically the same reasons.

I always look at alcohol and prohition to see what a disaster it is to try and legislate morals. Alcohol is still a problem, but by legalizing it we have much more control over it's use, distribution and the problems that come with it.

FWIW - I believe prostitution should be legalized for basically the same reasons.
    ^^^YES!!^^^

By keeping prostitution illegal we are contributing to human trafficking...a problem much, much worse than prostitution.

***insert eye roll here****

Climb-Utah.com

25. Likes twotimer, oldno7, BasinCruiser liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?