Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Government Shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    that's because you're wantonly ignoring all the downsides.
    Name:  2qalco.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  25.6 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    And just to keep things in perspective... Trump has asked for $5 billion a year to fund the wall and border security.... that is roughly the same amount the US military spends in Afghanistan every single month!

The US could completely fund Trump's wall and increased security with the money the US military spends in Afghanistan in 6 months.

Understand those numbers and let that sink in for a minute.
    How many "$5 Billlion" chunks could have fit on the pallets of cash that Obama sent to the terrorists?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    that's because you're wantonly ignoring all the downsides.
    The downside--such as people are unable to use restrooms without government?

This doesn't show the downside of no government, it shows the downside of liberalism.

So we are able to compare Joshua tree with the streets of san francisco--your side wins here....
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by BasinCruiser View Post
    Funny how the same group of people who bitch about PBS and Planned Parenthood getting a tiny amount of money, suddenly view $5B as such a minuscule amount as to not matter. How many non poisoned water pipes could $5B install in Flint?

It's funny how the GOP has turned the argument from "Mexico will pay!" to "well, even if Mexico paid libs would complain!" Way to move the goal posts there fellas.

A non partisan article on the logistics of the wall: https://www.businessinsider.com/us-m...d-than-done-42

Why do I keep hearing about Flint's water quality and how Trump should do something about it? Did something happen to their water 2 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    The downside--such as people are unable to use restrooms without government?

This doesn't show the downside of no government, it shows the downside of liberalism.

So we are able to compare Joshua tree with the streets of san francisco--your side wins here....
    So only liberals use the restrooms at the parks? Or are you making the inane argument that liberalism has made it so people can't figure out how to shit in the woods without government help?

I'm certainly no fan of big government, but the idea that just shutting everything down over a political stunt is a good thing, because it maybe doesn't directly affect you today, is foolish. Anyone looking to buy a house right now? Good luck getting the mortgage if the IRS is closed and can't verify your transcripts. I wonder what all of the small business' in the midst of an SBA loan application are thinking with the SBA now being closed for the past 2 weeks. Have fun dealing with the already mostly incompetent TSA agents after another month without pay. We could go on and on. The fact is that both parties over the past century have created a giant government bureaucracy that we as a society have come to count on.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    So only liberals use the restrooms at the parks? Or are you making the inane argument that liberalism has made it so people can't figure out how to shit in the woods without government help?

I'm certainly no fan of big government, but the idea that just shutting everything down over a political stunt is a good thing, because it maybe doesn't directly affect you today, is foolish. Anyone looking to buy a house right now? Good luck getting the mortgage if the IRS is closed and can't verify your transcripts. I wonder what all of the small business' in the midst of an SBA loan application are thinking with the SBA now being closed for the past 2 weeks. Have fun dealing with the already mostly incompetent TSA agents after another month without pay. We could go on and on. The fact is that both parties over the past century have created a giant government bureaucracy that we as a society have come to count on.

Also good luck if you're a mine looking to secure a permit through the process of an EA (Environmental Assessment). If you're a mine planner who has any portion of the future mine under federal review your plans have just been put on hold for God knows how long. There's two mines in Utah right now that are in this predicament.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

If Trump caves in on this he will lose the 2020 election.

Congress is always blamed for government shutdowns.

So.... ya see where this is going?!?

Climb-Utah.com

Trump gets what he wants, he's willing to be blamed for anything and everything.

What reason would Trump have to cave in? Does he seem like a guy that needs public opinion?

Anyone wanna place bets on what day it ends?

I'm thinking January 25th

The thing is, I don't really see the left caving on this either. They have spent 2.5 years mocking "the wall", so both sides are too entrenched to budge now. Plus we are a long way out from any type of election, this will be long forgotten by 2020.

What I'd like to see is trump actually provide a plan of what he wants to do with the money. Instead of just saying give me $5b, how about he says "We plan on building X and putting it here, and it is going to cost this amount and will start at this time and be completed by whenever."

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Name:  2qalco.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  25.6 KB
    I can't figure out the difference between cream cheese wontons and rangoons??? Any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    The thing is, I don't really see the left caving on this either. They have spent 2.5 years mocking "the wall", so both sides are too entrenched to budge now.
    That is the sad part, the Left only started hating the wall once Trump started pushing it. They have completely flip flopped from their speeches in support of walls/barriers/border security because Hillary didn't win. They will only stop it once Trump is out of office, there's too much pride on the line. Some of them, deep inside, probably want the wall too, but they've got to keep up appearances for the radicals. They probably hope the wall will have enough votes to pass without their involvement, so the wall can get funded and they can keep the appearance of "resistance", when privately they are relieved the wall is finally getting funded.

This is the prideful, arrogant, stuck up world of partisan politics, and it will never get better, only worse. People have picked their sides and it is a high treasonous crime to listen to the other side and come to a compromise.

15. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    That is the sad part, the Left only started hating the wall once Trump started pushing it. They have completely flip flopped from their speeches in support of walls/barriers/border security because Hillary didn't win. They will only stop it once Trump is out of office, there's too much pride on the line. Some of them, deep inside, probably want the wall too, but they've got to keep up appearances for the radicals. They probably hope the wall will have enough votes to pass without their involvement, so the wall can get funded and they can keep the appearance of "resistance", when privately they are relieved the wall is finally getting funded.

This is the prideful, arrogant, stuck up world of partisan politics, and it will never get better, only worse. People have picked their sides and it is a high treasonous crime to listen to the other side and come to a compromise.

This is how it ends. We get divided as a nation, and then do something catastrophically stupid.

This is basically another civil war, only it is being waged in the halls of our legislature instead of the battlefield.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    This entire issue is about ego; across the board - from Schumer to Pelosi to Trump. This has nothing to do with the wall. Its about power and ego. BUILD THAT F'CKN WALL! Seems to work for the Vatican, Obama, etc. Should keep most of the riff-raff out.

None of our politicians these days adhere to their oath of office. They're in it for themselves, not for country or state. They're in it for re-election or $ in the guise of re-election (ala Pocahontas and Bernie and Clinton)

Term Limits. 2 Terms and kick them to the curb. PERIOD!
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

The one difference for Trump is he's not in it for any lobbyist money. His intentions, whether we like them or not, are the most transparent and bare. He doesn't need friends. He donates his presidential salary. He's not pushing the wall just because it's a counter measure to somebody else he doesn't like.

And that's why I think Trump can be trusted more than any of those other clowns, even if his words and mannerisms aren't polished. They are raw, unprocessed, unscripted and honest.

19. Likes Sandstone Addiction, oldno7, Iceaxe liked this post
    House OK's spending bills to reopen government, but shutdown expected to continue

Just hours after Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi reclaimed the speaker’s gavel and Democrats returned to the power for the first time in eight years, the House sought to end the 13-day shutdown by voting 241-190*to fund eight of the nine shuttered departments.

The legislation includes $1.3 billion for border security but none of the funding that President Donald Trump is demanding to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. The temporary funding would enable the department to reopen and buy more time for Congress and the White House to resolve their standoff over border wall funding.

Trump and GOP lawmakers showed no signs of retreating.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...es/2463374002/

^^^Nothing new^^^

It's the same dog and pony show we've been watching for the past month.

Passing a bill that the Senate refuses to vote on and that the President has stated he will veto is a complete waste of time and just the Democrats performing for their base.

Climb-Utah.com

Climb-Utah.com

23. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    And for the fans of Game of Thrones.

Climb-Utah.com