Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 290

Thread: Government Shutdown

  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Fun fact - if you are a government worker, you are not a tax payer. You do not "pay taxes". You are paid IN taxes. Money is stolen from private sector workers and given to you. Your paycheck is stolen from my paycheck.

    Climb-Utah.com
    lol. As a sign of protest you should forego using any government services. Stay off the roads (unless private), don't call a cop or a firefighter or send your kids to a school. Stay out of national parks, forests, BLM lands, etc. You are probably okay using electricity and gas, but find your own drinking water and figure out how to get rid of your own sewer and trash. Stay out of any major airport. I could go on and on. Government workers are fun to mock, but we all use government services all day every day.

  2. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  4. #122
    ^^^Fun Fact - most of the items you listed are state and not Federal. Or powers the feds have forcibly stolen from the state.




  5. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    ^^^Fun Fact - most of the items you listed are state and not Federal. Or powers the feds have forcibly stolen from the state.



    Okay, I know you are trolling but what about food inspectors, air traffic controllers, freeways, national forests and parks, border control and the military?

  6. #124
    Employees of the BLM and USFS as well. I mentioned this previously but anyone looking to get a mine permitted are completely hamstrung because the EA process is dependent on Federal review.

    There are 3 mines in Utah (that I'm aware of -- could be more) that are dead in the water until the Feds get back to work and continue the permitting process.
    Do as you would be done by.

  7. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Okay, I know you are trolling but what about food inspectors, air traffic controllers, freeways, national forests and parks, border control and the military?
    First answer me this.... how did the US manage to survive up until 1913 with no Federal income tax?

  8. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    First answer me this.... how did the US manage to survive up until 1913 with no Federal income tax?

    Really interesting article about that here: https://www.thenewamerican.com/cultu...the-income-tax
    Do as you would be done by.

  9. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
  10. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    First answer me this.... how did the US manage to survive up until 1913 with no Federal income tax?
    We didn't spend so much damn money for the 3 biggies: Military, Social Security and Medicare. A quick google search shows that those 3 account for almost 70% of all federal spending. Holy $hit. Imagine if your mortgage, car loan and groceries accounted for 70% of your monthly spending.

  11. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    We didn't spend so much damn money for the 3 biggies: Military, Social Security and Medicare. A quick google search shows that those 3 account for almost 70% of all federal spending. Holy $hit. Imagine if your mortgage, car loan and groceries accounted for 70% of your monthly spending.
    Imagine if you actually had to live on a budget and not have $22 trillion dollars of debt!!!

  12. #129
    When it's my turn to be President the first two items on my agenda will be a balanced budget Amendment and term limits on all congressional members.


  13. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    term limits on all congressional members.


    This should have been priority numero uno for a "drain-the-swamp" presidency IMO. The stodgy incumbents who are stuck in their ways and never waver from the party line are a huge block to progress in this country.

    I'm looking at you Orrin Hatch...
    Do as you would be done by.

  14. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    This should have been priority numero uno for a "drain-the-swamp" presidency IMO.
    It will never happen unless the people can bypass Congress and vote on it directly as no way congress is going to vote themselves out of a job. The president has little say in the matter.

    FWIW - This is why our state legislature hate initiatives as it bypasses them and goes straight to the voters.

  15. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Okay, I know you are trolling but what about food inspectors, air traffic controllers, freeways, national forests and parks, border control and the military?
    This sums up my thoughts nicely....



    Climb-Utah.com

  16. #133

  17. Likes BasinCruiser liked this post
  18. #134
    The memes are going crazy...



  19. Likes twotimer liked this post
  20. #135

  21. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  22. #136
    Bogley BigShot oldno7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Posts
    12,986
    ///...,,
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus


    I'm totally not jealous or anything. I have London where they, er, make soot.

    An' stuff. (Sarahlizzy)


    Professional Mangler of Grammar

    Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

    Who Is John Galt?

  23. #137
    Basin Cruiser BasinCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    On a mountain, somewhere.
    Posts
    1,672
    Who knew that without 'non-essential' employees, the federal government could get MORE done and be more efficient.

    https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...down_trap.html


    Words from an "unidentified senior Trump official": https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/14/s...dUPkoqSzkiiEBk

    "Most of my career colleagues actively work against the president's agenda. This means I typically spend about 15 percent of my time on the president's agenda and 85 percent of my time trying to stop sabotage, and we have no power to get rid of them. Until the shutdown."

    "Due to the lack of funding, many federal agencies are now operating more effectively from the top down on a fraction of their workforce, with only select essential personnel serving national security tasks. ...President Trump can end this abuse. Senior officials can reprioritize during an extended shutdown, focus on valuable results and weed out the saboteurs. We do not want most employees to return, because we are working better without them. "

  24. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by BasinCruiser View Post
    Who knew that without 'non-essential' employees, the federal government could get MORE done and be more efficient.

    https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...down_trap.html


    Words from an "unidentified senior Trump official": https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/14/s...dUPkoqSzkiiEBk

    "Most of my career colleagues actively work against the president's agenda. This means I typically spend about 15 percent of my time on the president's agenda and 85 percent of my time trying to stop sabotage, and we have no power to get rid of them. Until the shutdown."

    "Due to the lack of funding, many federal agencies are now operating more effectively from the top down on a fraction of their workforce, with only select essential personnel serving national security tasks. ...President Trump can end this abuse. Senior officials can reprioritize during an extended shutdown, focus on valuable results and weed out the saboteurs. We do not want most employees to return, because we are working better without them. "

    This is interesting.

    But why are Trump's officials trying to secretly sabotage him? Weren't they appointed by Trump? Or is there a looser definition of official that applies here?
    Do as you would be done by.

  25. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    ///Arizona/Mexico border sign...,,

    I was a little leery of this sign. It looks a little photoshoppy. But it didn't show up in Snopes, and furthermore I found an alternate photo of the same sign with a cute little granny for scale. I guess it checks out, which is pretty disturbing.


    Do as you would be done by.

  26. #140
    Basin Cruiser BasinCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    On a mountain, somewhere.
    Posts
    1,672
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    This is interesting.

    But why are Trump's officials trying to secretly sabotage him? Weren't they appointed by Trump? Or is there a looser definition of official that applies here?
    I don't believe it's the Trump officials that are referenced as trying to sabatage him, but the beaurocrats his officials have to work with that slow everything down. More from that piece, from a Trump appointee talking about their coworkers:

    "On an average day, roughly 15 percent of the employees around me are exceptional patriots serving their country. I wish I could give competitive salaries to them and no one else. But 80 percent feel no pressure to produce results. If they don't feel like doing what they are told, they don't.Why would they? We can't fire them. They avoid attention, plan their weekend, schedule vacation, their second job, their next position some do this in the same position for more than a decade.
    They do nothing that warrants punishment and nothing of external value. That is their workday: errands for the sake of errands administering, refining, following and collaborating on process. "Process is your friend" is what delusional civil servants tell themselves. Even senior officials must gain approval from every rank across their department, other agencies and work units for basic administrative chores."

Similar Threads

  1. Government Shutdown
    By accadacca in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-25-2018, 07:57 AM
  2. Utah and a possible government shutdown Oct. 2015.
    By caverdan in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-21-2015, 12:48 PM
  3. Replies: 57
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 08:02 PM
  4. The Truth About the Government Shutdown
    By Deathcricket in forum The Political Arena
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 02:58 PM
  5. Government Shutdown
    By IntrepidXJ in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 01:40 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •