Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 New Year’s Resolutions

2019 New Year’s Resolutions

Spend more time in the funny pictures thread...

Okay, some serious tips...

Specific. Your resolution should be absolutely clear. “Making a concrete goal is really important rather than just vaguely saying ‘I want to lose weight.’ You want to have a goal: How much weight do you want to lose and at what time interval?” said Katherine L. Milkman, an associate professor of operations information and decisions at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. “Five pounds in the next two months — that’s going to be more effective.”

Measurable. This may seem obvious if your goal is a fitness or weight loss related one, but it’s also important if you’re trying to cut back on something, too. If, for example, you want to stop biting your nails, take pictures of your nails over time so you can track your progress in how those nails grow back out, said Jeffrey Gardere, a psychologist and professor at Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine. Logging progress into a journal or making notes on your phone or in an app designed to help you track behaviors can reinforce the progress, no matter what your resolution may be.

Achievable. This doesn’t mean that you can’t have big stretch goals. But trying to take too big a step too fast can leave you frustrated, or affect other areas of your life to the point that your resolution takes over your life — and both you and your friends and family flail. So, for example, resolving to save enough money to retire in five years when you’re 30 years old is probably not realistic, but saving an extra $100 a month may be. (And if that’s easy, you can slide that number up to an extra $200, $300 or $400 a month).

Relevant. Is this a goal that really matters to you, and are you making it for the right reasons? “If you do it out of the sense of self-hate or remorse or a strong passion in that moment, it doesn’t usually last long,” said Dr. Michael Bennett, a psychiatrist and co-author of two self-help books. “But if you build up a process where you’re thinking harder about what’s good for you, you’re changing the structure of your life, you’re bringing people into your life who will reinforce that resolution, then I think you have a fighting chance.”

Time-bound. Like “achievable,” the timeline toward reaching your goal should be realistic, too. That means giving yourself enough time to do it with lots of smaller intermediate goals set up along the way. “Focus on these small wins so you can make gradual progress,” Charles Duhigg, author of “The Power of Habit” and a former New York Times writer, said. If you’re building a habit, you’re planning for the next decade, not the next couple of months.”

https://www.nytimes.com/guides/smart...solution-ideas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't have any real goals for 2019, or for life in general lately. I need something because I find I'm completely busy all of the time and not getting anywhere.

F**k more and work less are my goals for 2019.

Climb-Utah.com

6. Likes Scott Card liked this post
    Notch up my training so I can accomplish a couple of treks that I have been planning for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Climb-Utah.com
    2 days in, how's it working so far?

This seems like it is going to be a very long year for me..i have a backlog at work meaning that 2018 is not fully off my back..i want to work smater this year and i pray to God that i get rid of all fake friends and bad company..

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    2 days in, how's it working so far?
    Best plan I ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandertristan View Post
    This seems like it is going to be a very long year for me..i have a backlog at work meaning that 2018 is not fully off my back..i want to work smater this year and i pray to God that i get rid of all fake friends and bad company..

Last July I eliminated everyone in my life who I felt were holding me back from achieving my goals...best move I have ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by windminstrel View Post
    Last July I eliminated everyone in my life who I felt were holding me back from achieving my goals...best move I have ever made.
    How did you achieve this? Dear John? Email? Singing telegram? A quick text?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    How did you achieve this? Dear John? Email? Singing telegram? A quick text?
    The first step was simple, deleted all non family and key work contacts from my phone contact list. Only answered calls from identified callers, and only responded to unidentified calls that left a message. The results were immediate with only a few persistent people to deal with.
    Some may call me an asshole for this but I am a much happier asshole today than I was then and have made significant progress towards achieving my personal goals.

Quote Originally Posted by windminstrel View Post
    The first step was simple, deleted all non family and key work contacts from my phone contact list. Only answered calls from identified callers, and only responded to unidentified calls that left a message. The results were immediate with only a few persistent people to deal with.
    Some may call me an asshole for this but I am a much happier asshole today than I was then and have made significant progress towards achieving my personal goals.

Interesting....whatever motivated you to do this?

I think most folks would consider this pretty extreme because you're basically burning multiple bridges. You'd better be 100% married to this plan because most folks would be unlikely to welcome you back into their lives after being completed erased.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

15. Likes jman liked this post
    I'm thinking of turning off my ringer. I get so many unknown calls now, I rarely get a legit call because my contacts will text instead. Every time I answer a call from a number I don't recognize, I regret it. Most of them are marketing, then a bunch are disconnecting immediately. There are agencies that will auto dial any number just to make a record of which ones answer, which ones go to voicemail, and which ones are not legit numbers. Then they sell this info to terrorists I mean telemarketing firms.

Then the other calls I answer are people asking me favors to come film something because I'm the best and they can't pay me but they'll give me exposure by sharing my video on their Instagram account with 258 followers, so more freeloaders will come my way.

Yeah I've got to look at my auto hang up functions from my phone, answer only from these contacts and disconnect the rest. That would save some stress in my life.

17. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Beech, I set my phone so those in my contacts get one ringtone and those not in my contacts gets another. That made my life simple.

You can do that with just one setting. Special people like my wife and kids still get a custom ringtone. I was easy to set up but some of the switches to do it were kind of buried and I can't remember were they were offhand. You could also set it so those not in your contacts get no ringtone.

Only date women half my age +7....

21. Likes jdn1221 liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    Only date women half my age +7....
    so 14 year olds
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

23. Likes rockgremlin, uintafly liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Then the other calls I answer are people asking me favors to come film something because I'm the best and they can't pay me but they'll give me exposure by sharing my video on their Instagram account with 258 followers, so more freeloaders will come my way.
    RLOL

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Climb-Utah.com

Gotta love it when a great plan comes together and works to perfection.

Climb-Utah.com