Thread: Salt Lake is US pick to try for 2030 Olympics

Salt Lake is US pick to try for 2030 Olympics

Salt Lake City, the host of the 2002 Winter Games, beat out Denver. Reno-Tahoe dropped out of the running recently in the competition to be chosen to bid for what is expected to be the 2030 Winter Games.

The decision was made by the USOC at a closed-door meeting in San Francisco.

It will be up to the International Olympic Committee to choose the host city.

The price tag for another Winter Games in Utah is now at $1.4 billion, money that would come from selling sponsorships, tickets and broadcast rights rather than state or local taxpayers, backers say.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46448463...-2030-olympics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'd love the Olympics to come back to SLC. We had a great time in 2002. I bought $2000 in tickets through the Utah resident lottery. Everyone thought I was crazy because I had to buy the tickets 2 years before the games and you had to pay for the tickets in advance.

Good times... I hope it works out. The only thing that sucked is all the SLC bars and restaurants really jacked up their prices for the two week event.

Climb-Utah.com

Oh sorry Denver...yeah and you can have the Outdoor Retailer Show. Haha

5. Likes Sandstone Addiction, oldno7 liked this post
    I'm pretty stoked about this, actually. It was a good time in 2002 and this time, I'll be able to take more advantage of it. I was a starving recently married guy with a 6 month old baby in 2002. This time, my youngest will be 18, so I'm definitely in for more fun this time around.

7. Likes Rob L, accadacca liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo View Post
    I'm pretty stoked about this, actually. It was a good time in 2002 and this time, I'll be able to take more advantage of it. I was a starving recently married guy with a 6 month old baby in 2002. This time, my youngest will be 18, so I'm definitely in for more fun this time around.
    Yeah, my oldest was 2. We'd go down to every other concert and up to XCountry Ski events. It was a blast, I'd love to be able to volunteer in 2030.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Oh sorry Denver...yeah and you can have the Outdoor Retailer Show. Haha
    Ah.... anyone in their right mind would want that convention back. Idiot, moron delegation.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    Ah.... anyone in their right mind would want that convention back. Idiot, moron delegation.
    I don't miss the convention. I understand is was good for SLC but it did nothing for me personally outside of clogging local bars and restaurants twice a year.

I haven't missed the OR convention for even one second. YMMV

Climb-Utah.com

Its been quite pleasant without having to hear the OR threats of them leaving and ruining our economy every time they didnt get their way. I hope they stay away.

I too am hoping the games return. I have fond memories of the 2002 games and would love for my kids to experience it as well. To tell the truth though, I was strongly againt them coming the first time, but once they won the bid I embraced them and signed up early to volunteer.

I spent 8 amazing days on a section crew on the mens downhill course at Snowbasin. Very rewarding experience and would encourage anyone to sign up if we get another opportunity.

I still don't understand how the OR convention was a benefit to Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I still don't understand how the OR convention was a benefit to Utah.

If you owned a hotel, restaurant, or bar in downtown it definitely was a benefit. Not too much benefit outside of that I'm guessing.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    If you owned a hotel, restaurant, or bar in downtown it definitely was a benefit. Not too much benefit outside of that I'm guessing.
    Taxes, taxes and more taxes. The better any business does (especially local), the better for the overall economy of an area.

If they weren't a benefit, then cities all over the country wouldn't fight so hard to bring in conventions. It seems they used to quote about $45mm/year in economic benefit.