Thread: Nordic Valley Expansion Project

Nordic Valley Expansion Project

This is a relatively controversial topic to some folks in Ogden, particularly North Ogden and Ogden Valley. A lot of people are voicing their concern they do not want the small ski resort of Nordic Valley to get any bigger, there is concern about the new roads and ski runs to be cut into the mountain at North Ogden Divide, and there is a proposal for a gondola to come down from the top into North Ogden.

Personally I think it would be great, an exciting upgrade for the area. Some cons would be higher lift ticket prices, as Nordic Valley is a reliable "cheap skiing" pass for the whole family.

What are your thoughts?

https://nordicvalleyproject.com/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Another thing to think about is the Skyline Trail from the North Ogden Divide trailhead, it would definitely change. This view would not be the same, I do happen to like it. But is it enough to stop a ski resort?

There is STRONG resistance to this amongst the locals here. It seems like it's well liked by just about everybody....who doesn't live in North Ogden.

I'd prefer not to see this happen. And especially not a gawdawful gondola descending into North Ogden.
    Last edited by rockgremlin; 12-14-2018 at 03:22 PM.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

5. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Everybody up there is already all pissed off that Powder Mountain is turning into Summit County Lite with all of the new development. This might just push them all over the edge.

I'd say no to a gondola into North Ogden though.

7. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Yeah the Powder Mountain / Summit thing still is quite bitter. The issue of bringing water up to Powder Mountain is a fairly heated one, for those that don't realize that mountain doesn't have water. They need to supply all of the new buildings and houses with water up there. This is why they don't have snow makers, although some think it's because they wanted to retain more of a "naturalist" method at Powder Mtn, nope, it's purely because they don't have the water.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Ski resorts in this northern area suck. So just go play somewhere else.

No gondola.

SLC and PC have the best. Don't waste your time here.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Chere'

On the map from the link above, right about where it says North Ogden is Coldwater Canyon, where these shots are from and that is also where the big flag was flown in memory of Mayor Brent Taylor.

Name:  2018-12-14_14-03-02.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  95.5 KB

Heading into the same canyon:

As for the Gondola, it looks like it would come down really close to the trailhead for the BST, I think there is a gravel pit there now. It looks like there is already a power line right there, or very close by.

So I've got a question for the North Ogden residents, why they oppose this expansion. Sure there will be more traffic, but wouldn't the property value increase? How long ago was the 2700 North road link built, finally connecting the Freeway to the Smiths in a direct route, maybe 15 years? That has been huge for North Ogden.

I assume the Gondola would start near that quarry, that is almost a straight shot up from Smiths. I can see the need to improve that road, as it's still a little 2 lane 30MPH path with houses close to the road. If it was widened, those 10 houses or so would go, that would be a big downer. But that path is already one of the main arteries for people heading from the Freeway to Ogden Valley, something has to give. Unless they improve the road as it goes past Bates Elementary.

What if this meant the North Ogden Divide road were to finally be improved?

No to the Gondola project........stupid idea. Ski runs on the west side......maybe a month without snowmaking. Where is water from? wells are already to plentiful. Its a money scheme by the first investors...everybody else loses. Doesnt equate to increase in property values.... some see the opposite. Yes lets cut up the mountain side more...

13. Likes blueeyes, rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by bobb169 View Post
    No to the Gondola project........stupid idea. Ski runs on the west side......maybe a month without snowmaking. Where is water from? wells are already to plentiful. Its a money scheme by the first investors...everybody else loses. Doesnt equate to increase in property values.... some see the opposite. Yes lets cut up the mountain side more...
    ^^^Everything he just said.

If they're serious about spending a lot of cash to get folks up to Nordic Valley, why not go in with the County to improve the North Ogden divide road? That thing is a mess, and you'd have to be suicidal to drive up that in the winter after a snow storm.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.