Thread: Best Utah Ski Resort for Kids

Best Utah Ski Resort for Kids

Nordic Valley Ski Resort is a fantastic place to take the kids in their first years of skiing or snowboarding. We had a great day yesterday with the blue skies and decent temps, and hardly anybody was there.

Whether or not the huge Nordic Valley expansion project is going to happen or not, this will still be a great little resort, it's the easiest to get to and still boasts some of the largest Night Skiing area around, basically because the whole resort is lit up.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

FWIW - I believe Brighton bills itself as where Utah learns to ski. That's where everyone I know learned.

Climb-Utah.com

4. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Nordic Valley Ski Resort is a fantastic place to take the kids in their first years of skiing or snowboarding. We had a great day yesterday with the blue skies and decent temps, and hardly anybody was there.

Whether or not the huge Nordic Valley expansion project is going to happen or not, this will still be a great little resort, it's the easiest to get to and still boasts some of the largest Night Skiing area around, basically because the whole resort is lit up.

Nordic is where my two learned to ski and my two nieces and nephew. Cheap and easy terrain. Plus not bad night skiing. They use to do Wed night races when we had a family pass but it was also named something different back then. I can't remember what because it has always been and will always be Nordic to me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Chere'

6. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Good to see kids get out wherever they end up and I bet Nordic is pretty affordable these days. I probably haven't been there for 20 years or so though. After starting the kids on the Alta rope tow at 3 I couldn't pass up the "10 and under ski free" at Brighton the last few years, plus they have a little better terrain once the kids progress a bit. This year I jumped back over to LCC and have the minions in the season long program at Alta. My 7 year old is as hooked as his old man and will no doubt be outskiing me in a few more years.

8. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    I'll 2nd Ice's recommendation on Brighton. Probably the #1 place for beginning snowboarders and skiers.

Here's my list from North to South.

Beaver Mountain--never skied there, but I've heard very good things about it.

Cherry Something?--never skied there, haven't heard anything good or bad.

Powder Mountain--I only skied there once and don't recall a lot of beginner terrain--but in all fairness, I wasn't looking for beginner terrain then.

Snowbasin--not a whole lot of beginner, but some great intermediate and advanced. Although spent 95% of my time on the Grizzly Downhill raking and grooming the race course during the World Cup and Olympics.

Brighton--already covered.

Solitude--some very nice wide open terrain fit for beginners and intermediates. One of my favorite resorts.

The Canyons and Park City--Has plenty of terrain for all abilities. Park West/Wolf Mountain was our go to place years ago.

Deer Valley--love this place, and plenty of beginner terrain, but only for skiers--no boarders allowed.

Alta--same as Deer Valley. Although to much flat terrain that would be hell on a snowboard anyhow. I never fell in love with Alta.

Snowbird--great place for someone that has never skied/snowboarded as the Chic-a-dee lift is dedicated to beginners, but not much beginner terrain on the rest of the mountain. Would avoid until become intermediate. My personal favorite resort of all time.

Sundance--what can I say? This is where I spent most of my beginning years skiing, but it sucks. The mountain, the snow and the owner--all horrible. Don't waste your time and money at Sundance, keep driving to Brian Head.

Eagle Point--never skied there, haven't heard anything about it. Even when it was Mt. Holly and Elk Meadows.

Brian Head--excellent place for beginners, lots of wide open groomed runs to carve nice turns.

10. Likes accadacca, Sombeech liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Snowbird--great place for someone that has never skied/snowboarded as the Chic-a-dee lift is dedicated to beginners, but not much beginner terrain on the rest of the mountain. Would avoid until become intermediate. My personal favorite resort of all time.

I have to second this. I spent my youth at Alta and the past 4 years in BCC so probably only have a dozen days at the bird over the years. I took my son a few weeks ago and was a little surprised at just how steep it is for kids. I was glad he had a few years at Brighton first.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    it was also named something different back then. I can't remember what because it has always been and will always be Nordic to me.
    Yeah it was Wolf Mountain for a while, then it went back to Nordic Valley a few years ago with new ownership. I think everybody still called it Nordic Valley so they gained a few points by switching the name back.

You can't beat the price either. My son has the Ski Utah passport this year because he's 12, so he, myself and my daughter all got full day passes for just over $50. They've got deals several days of the week too. Thursdays are something like 6 tickets for $60, then they used to have family night on Mondays, I forget what they've currently got.

For anybody interested, maybe this should be a thread of it's own since it's a hot topic, but the Nordic Valley expansion project might be the real deal, finally after decades of hearing about it. For the last 30 years I kept hearing "They are going to take the big lift all the way up the mountain" and it was always yeah yeah yeah, not likely. But they might finally get it going under this new ownership.

https://nordicvalleyproject.com/

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I know this is titled the Best Resort for Kids but I personally think if you want good ski buddies you make sure there is a good ski instructor and ample opportunities to practice. The resort is second to that but the cheapest family pass helps. If you are in Ogden area that is Nordic. If your in the SLC area I would favor Brighton. Sarah always loved the tree skiing there. If your in Southern Utah my favorite is Eagle Point with kids.

I have two excellent ski buddies. But it will probably be awhile again before I get the pleasure of skiing with them as they are off doing their own things these days.

Our ski trips, and there were many, are some of my very favorite memories! I will have to kidnap my niece now that she is 3 and get her started. And for this year that will be at Snowbird because why not I need to expand my knowledge of Utah ski resorts.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Chere'

14. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Yeah ski buddies are crucial when beginning.

There are a lot of great places for kids, most resorts have a beginner / bunny slope, and the magic carpet conveyor belts are appearing at most of them now. But Nordic Valley has some super prices as well. I think they've got this season, a deal for $60 you get 6 lift tickets for Thursday night.

I've just signed up for their specials notification - https://nordicvalley.com/specials/

16. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Did a little night skiing yesterday at the kid paradise that is Brighton. $25 for me and free for the boy. not too shabby.

Little man cased the first big ramp in the Majestic park accompanied by full double eject and face plant down the hill. I thought for sure he'd be done with the big one after that, but he kept hitting it all night. Though after watching a guy over rotate a front flip and get hauled down the hill, I started questioning how fast he is progressing. Oh, and he needs a better photographer than me.

Name:  bright.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  24.7 KB

Name:  bright1.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  33.8 KB