Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Winter 2018-2019

Name:  P8070114.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  75.5 KB

EPIC! Has the identity of Mr. Canyonman ever been revealed? If not, it may be this dude right here...ran into him in Mystery. Real impressive guy. This was in '13.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

2. Likes Sombeech liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Warning, CanyonMan is not to be confused with Canyonero, of whom @rockgremlin strikes a resemblance, known to pose in underwear in the canyons

5. Likes rockgremlin liked this post

Snowpack levels exceed 150% for most of the entire state of Utah. Considering we're only half way through April, I'd say this is a good news/bad news type situation.

Good news: We're in great shape water wise. Our reservoirs will be refilled and replenished, and some of the heat is off for the immediate future.

Bad news: Over half the state has over 150% snowpack, and it's going to rapidly warm up in the next month. This = flooding. I'd say if you live in Santa Clara or anywhere else in close proximity to the Virgin river you'd better head to higher ground. Too bad they don't issue flood insurance to those folks.

Name:  Apr152019.JPG
Views: 302
Size:  118.6 KB
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Yeah. I agree. I went to Moab last weekend and I was impressed with how much snow was up at Soldier Summit. I've never seen that much snow up there at this time of year before. It was impressive. Also, I've never seen snow on the Book Cliffs south of Price at this time of year, but it was there this year. Also, the La Sal mountains looked great. Tons of snow up there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Snowpack levels exceed 150% for most of the entire state of Utah. Considering we're only half way through April, I'd say this is a good news/bad news type situation.

Good news: We're in great shape water wise. Our reservoirs will be refilled and replenished, and some of the heat is off for the immediate future.

Bad news: Over half the state has over 150% snowpack, and it's going to rapidly warm up in the next month. This = flooding. I'd say if you live in Santa Clara or anywhere else in close proximity to the Virgin river you'd better head to higher ground. Too bad they don't issue flood insurance to those folks.

Name:  Apr152019.JPG
Views: 302
Size:  118.6 KB
    252% for Moab area (SE Utah) - wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

What are the predictions for Lake Powell levels this year?

The snowpack is very healthy up high in the cottonwoods right now. Alta and the Bird both have 170" bases with another foot or 2 coming in the next 72 hours. This week is the last mid week skiing at Alta with them shutting completely down next Sunday. They will probably still have a 150" base when they close. The bird probably has a chance to be spinning lifts on the 4th of July. Yesterday was the first weekend day that I sorta considered not skiing. The mountain still won out, but I think Wednesday will be my last mid week skiing this year and I probably only have 4 or 5 weekend ski days left in me. I guess it's time to dust the bike off. What's the over under on when Crest is rideable this year?

Just for fun I looked at my Strava from last year to see what I was able to ride. Mueller Park is about 5 minutes from my house and work so I ride it quite a bit. Last year at this time I was making it up about a mile past the rock to the spring bridge before getting snowed out. The first day I made it all the was May 4th. I talked with some trail runners a week ago and they said the snow was thigh deep about a mile before the rock. What a difference a year makes.

12. Likes devo_stevo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    What are the predictions for Lake Powell levels this year?
    Lake Powell will not see a huge rise as they are going to send a huge portion of water down to Lake Mead, which is nearing crisis lake levels. There is a thread on hear somewhere about it.

14. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Lake Powell will not see a huge rise as they are going to send a huge portion of water down to Lake Mead, which is nearing crisis lake levels. There is a thread on hear somewhere about it.

Regardless, a few weeks ago the meteorologist at KSL said that Lake Powell would likely see an increase of roughly 35' - 40' this year.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    We could start a pool poll.

I say it goes to 3627.00

I spent a lot of time on the lake in 2011 and rises of 12-16" per day were happening.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Current level is 3568.71 as of April 14.

My guess is it will top out at 3622.5' -- which should be enough to open up Antelope Point, but still about 30' short of Hite Marina levels (3650').
    Last edited by rockgremlin; 04-15-2019 at 10:00 AM.

When was the last time that Mead and Powell were both full? Has it happened since 1983?

Regardless, a few weeks ago the meteorologist at KSL said that Lake Powell would likely see an increase of roughly 35' - 40' this year.
    35' to 40' is about average.... so it looks like they will be sending a lot of excess water downstream to Mead.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    When was the last time that Mead and Powell were both full? Has it happened since 1983?
    Yeah, full pool happened several times in the 80's. But 83 was the only time the spillways required opening. I believe the spillways were opened once more after their repair as a test.

FWIW, My company did some of the repair on the spillway. Most people have no clue how close we came to losing that dam in 83. The concrete lining in the spillways blew out and than the river began eating into the dam abutments... scary shit, I got to go down in the spillway and see the fissures the river carved and they were so deep you couldn't see the bottom.

I was also on the lake in 83 when the spillways were open. We drove over to the dam one day just to watch. The water spraying out was orange so it was obvious something was wrong.

21. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The concrete lining in the spillways blew out and than the river began eating into the dam abutments... scary shit, I got to go down in the spillway and see the fissures the river carved and they were so deep you couldn't see the bottom.

Yeah that is scary! Who was the engineering firm/s who were contracted to design the dam? Do you recall which construction company built it?

This will answer many questions....

24. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    The Emerald Mile is a great book and goes into a lot of details on the issues with the dam in 1983. Highly recommended
    Thanos was right

Current level is 3568.71 as of April 14.

My guess is it will top out at 3622.5' -- which should be enough to open up Antelope Point, but still about 30' short of Hite Marina levels (3650').

Something funky is going on here. Current level (April 24) is reported as 3569.24. -- So it has only gone up by 0.53 feet in the last 10 days?!

http://lakepowell.water-data.com/

May 1st. Anybody got snow?