Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter 2018-2019

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

2. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    ... and uhhh ... the hottest summer on record for australia

http://media.bom.gov.au/social/blog/...mn-likely-too/
    I guess you could call 82.4F chilly. Average summer temp in Australia is 86F (30C). I actually expected the average summer temp to be hotter.

Guess it would all depend on where they are pulling the data from. 82.4F sounds toasty to me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Chere'

5. Likes twotimer liked this post
    from the article:

The heat continued into January, which set a national monthly mean temperature record at 2.9 °C above the 1961–1990 average.

above a 29 year average

Look at stefs chart from 61-90.

man, give it up, you and algore are wrong, you're trying to hard to prove, that which cannot be proven.

settled science(made up self aggrandizing propaganda)
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    from the article:

The heat continued into January, which set a national monthly mean temperature record at 2.9 °C above the 1961–1990 average.

above a 29 year average

Look at stefs chart from 61-90.

man, give it up, you and algore are wrong, you're trying to hard to prove, that which cannot be proven.

settled science(made up self aggrandizing propaganda)
    No7 I am not trying to prove anything. I was laughing at you saying 80something is chilly, that is all. That struck me as funny because I start wilting when temps go over 80.

Also found it surprising that the average temp is not higher for Australia. And I wonder what that graph truly represents. All it shows is the standard deviation from average. Where are they pulling data from. Every single temp taken over in australia over that time period or a select few. Just tossing out a graph doesn't give a good picture in my opinion.

Chere'

I was directing my comments to dr. stefan, sorry for any confusion.

I have much more respect for you
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

9. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    I'll just leave this here....

Febrrrr...uary... for the first time in history the temperature did not reach 70 degrees in Los Angeles

Home restaurant’s sprawling outdoor patio in Los Feliz, set under a canopy of large trees, was designed to take advantage of California’s temperate climate and typically sunny skies.

But this February has been so cold that the restaurant scrambled to set up extra heaters outside the Craftsman-style house to keep diners and workers warm during the record-setting cold winter.

“We had three heaters going for a while and this month it just hasn’t been enough,” said Sam Yoo, a manager at the restaurant. “I’m trying to have the waiters and hostesses wear warmer clothing, but I have one heater set up right by the host stand so they don’t catch colds.”

For the first time since forecasters began recording data — at least 132 years — the mercury did not reach 70 degrees in downtown Los Angeles for the entire month of February.

The average high for the month was 61 degrees, significantly lower than the historical average of 68 for February. That makes it the eighth-coldest February on record, said Ryan Kittell, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Oxnard.

*Link

I've seen a lot of reports this winter about multiple ski resorts closing from TOO MUCH SNOW, a few different resorts from a few different dates and storms.

That being said, I'm ready for it to be done with, bring on Spring.

So we are at the start of global cooling, this week?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I was in Hawaii all last month. I've been there many times in the last 15 years for weeks at a time...sometimes the entire months of Jan and Feb. I despise the cold, short days here in Denver. Had to wait for the shutdown to end for this recent trip...so only 3 weeks.

Very nice, as always. This year however, has been wet with cooler temps when the "cold fronts" sweep thru. By "cooler" I mean a daily high of 72 (instead of 80) and an overnight low of 66 (instead of 72).

Anyway, you should hear the locals complain about the cold when it gets below 70 degrees. They run around with black seaters and jackets during the day...I'm still cruisin' around in shorts and a tank top.

Unquestionably, this has been a cold, wet winter for us here in the States. Funny thing is, I was dating a gal that lives up in the mountains (near the ski areas) in the late 90s. The hippy dippy local ski bums up there (of which she was one) and all their little newspapers were all predicting the by 2015 the average snowfall was going to be DRAMATICALLY reduced. So much so the the ski areas were "very concerned" about it. They're all going to suffer and the local economy will crash. Also, the marmots and pikas were all going to go extinct because the tree line was going to march up the mountain. Their food supply was going to disappear. I remember listening to her and her friends about this stuff and reading it...thinking "we'll see, huh"?

It was all bullshit. There's a friggin' sucker born every minute. They throw up graphs from God knows where and buy it hook, line and sinker.

When I'm able to paint exteriors, one week after the next in January and February...then I might buy into it. Otherwise, anyone predicting all this weather doom and gloom is a fool, IMO.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    ... and uhhh ... the hottest summer on record for australia

http://media.bom.gov.au/social/blog/...mn-likely-too/
    Has your agenda-driven side come up with an explanation for the Medieveal Warm Period yet?

I visited Greece this winter. Even at relatively low-lying areas, snow fell due to the phenomena caused by a low barometric pressure system named “Sophia.” And also we choose Greece Taxi Transfer for our transfer in Athens based on good reviews and it was the best choice possible! Booking online was easy, prompt response, the cheapest price offered, no payment in advance, no credit card asked.

Quote Originally Posted by empty View Post
    yes, global warming

So you're sayin' it's Summer in the Southern hemisphere--good post
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Go Gunlock Reservoir, GO!!!

Name:  Mar072019.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  120.6 KB
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

18. Likes jdn1221 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Winter 2018-2019

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Go Gunlock Reservoir, GO!!!

Name:  Mar072019.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  120.6 KB
    You know what’s funny, I was going to post the same thing this morning about that. It’s in the ballpark of 200%

I’ve been watching the lake levels and it’s a little more than half-full right now. And from the historical data, it looks like April to May is when the most snow melt happens.

This actually may happen this year.... especially if the El Niño pattern keeps going a bit longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Blog Entries
    And not to mention that the Subway in late April and May is going to be crazy snowmelt flows! The Kolob Reservoir Snotel is registering at 98” (8 feet+!) currently so there is a lot of water trapped up there right now and guess who has a permit for a late April descent...and a permit for end of March too....this guy.

●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    And not to mention that the Subway in late April and May is going to be crazy snowmelt flows! The Kolob Reservoir Snotel is registering at 98” (8 feet+!) currently so there is a lot of water trapped up there right now and guess who has a permit for a late April descent...and a permit for end of March too....this guy.

#jealous
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

A friend of mine posted video on her IG of the overflow. I am sad!!! I was down there Tuesday....just missed it.

Chere'

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    A friend of mine posted video on her IG of the overflow. I am sad!!! I was down there Tuesday....just missed it.

It’s not going on right now... well at least according the USGS water monitor.

Unless they are posting wrong data?

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

Oh it is overflowing right now. Are you on IG?

Chere'

Screen shot of her account

Chere'

26. Likes Sandstone Addiction, Iceaxe, jman liked this post