Thread: New trail bridge installation, Forest Service and Weber Pathways

New trail bridge installation, Forest Service and Weber Pathways

I'll start out with a funny but sad example of how government agencies work.

I was asked to shoot photos and video of this by a friend, who also works with another person at Weber Pathways. The US Forest Service is also involved because it's on their land.

So I agree, and I'm going to have to take time off of work because it's mid day yesterday, so when Weber Pathways asks if the Forest Service can also have the footage I shoot, I say sure and we plan on me arriving there at about 10am.

Well the day prior to the shoot I receive an email cancelling my involvement because I don't have a COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY PERMIT from the Forest Service.

---for photos THEY ASKED FOR

This ticked me off, I really wanted to say screw you guys nobody gets the footage then, but I got over it because of my friend that originally invited me to shoot. I ask for some clarification, remind them they invited me to shoot and not the other way around, and waddaya know they invited me back to shoot the bridge installation.

Not to add salt to the wound, but everybody there was getting paid to be there, instruction crew, Weber Pathways personnel, Forest Service employees, all except me that took time off of work to do them a favor. I couldn't ask for money because I didn't have a friggin' commercial permit.

Anyways, I was the better man and I did it anyways. No not for exposure, I've already got enough damned exposure, my footage has been around the world 6 times and I've got daily contacts asking for free favors. OK that's the end of my rant, here are some photos of the bridge installation.

This is on the East side of Pineview Reservoir, on the Winter's Grove Nature Trail. It is not ready to use yet, more backfill and the ramp is needed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    That’s kind of a bum deal. Sorry. That’s sucks.

What’s the process of getting a commercial permit from the FS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    That’s kind of a bum deal. Sorry. That’s sucks.

What’s the process of getting a commercial permit from the FS?
    I've asked my contact how I can go about inquiring about a permit now, and if they would consider waiving the fee because I'm giving them free photos that they asked for. I've got my doubts... and I am confident it is not worth the money or hassle since you can legally launch from outside of the boundary.

So I was reading through the email chain that wasn't sent to me, but was in the history before she replied to me:

"he would need to acquire one (permit) and these which cost a $125 dollar cost recovery fee plus $50 dollar per day for photography and $150 dollars per day for filming. "

Fortunately (for them) they pulled their head out and realized I'm not the one begging for the favor.

I'll let you know if I ever get in contact with somebody that can offer a permit, and if it's even worth all of the hassle.

Still at the end of the day, I could have launched from the paved road and flew over the land, filmed all I wanted, and they can't do a damned thing about it since they don't own the air. But hey, I'm a nice guy.

Blog Entries

New trail bridge installation, Forest Service and Weber Pathways

Yup, that’s right.

And I love that argument so much when I fly my drone too - nobody owns the air.

If you do go through the process, post an update just in case this opportunity presents itself to me later on down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

6. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    I deal with this type of government stupidity every day.

Once I was hired to design some bouancy tanks for Navy submarine pens. The specs stated the tanks had to be tested to failure. The only problem with that is once the tanks were tested to failure is that they were worthless because they would have the side blown out of them and the Navy didn't want worthless tanks. Getting that test to failure removed from the specs was a major undertaking.

Technically, if you are a photographer taking bridal photos, family photos or whatever photos on FS land, and you are getting paid to do so, you are supposed to have the permit. I see them all the time up AF Canyon and the FS was cracking down on it this summer.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Technically, if you are a photographer taking bridal photos, family photos or whatever photos on FS land, and you are getting paid to do so, you are supposed to have the permit. I see them all the time up AF Canyon and the FS was cracking down on it this summer.
    Yeah, same thing at some places like Dead Horse Point State Park near Moab.

I think it will continue to get more restrictive in more places. I understand why, too.