Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical Marijuana in Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    My mind is wide open. I think the eye-roll from many folks is a result of what has happened in other states. The definition of "Medicinal" in many states like California and Colorado is defined a wee bit too loosely for most conservatives. Sore feet? Get a marijuana card!!!!
    Attachment 91171

2. Likes twotimer, Iceaxe, rockgremlin liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My mind is wide open. I think the eye-roll from many folks is a result of what has happened in other states. The definition of "Medicinal" in many states like California and Colorado is defined a wee bit too loosely for most conservatives. Sore feet? Get a marijuana card!!!!
    My question though is why do you care? If someone wants to sit in their house and smoke pot for recreational purposes, why does it bother you? Would you also support alcohol prohibition again? It reminds me a bit of the gay marriage debate. You don't want to get gay married, don't. If you don't want to smoke pot, don't! But why do you get to decide for everyone else?

Maybe it is just the independent, freedom loving American in me, but I don't need a government bureaucrat to tell me what I can eat or drink. And that goes well beyond pot, If I want to drink a 64 oz. soda in NYC why is that a problem? If I have a painful terminal illness, why should the government tell me I can't end it peaceably? Probably the same reason I was pissed they closed Nutty Putty closed. Let people take responsibility for their own lives.

It seems to me that if don't like what the legislature does to a proposition you don't go out and vote on a new proposition, you vote for a new legislator. You don't file lawsuits, you file to run for an office.
    Seems like if the leg didn't think prop 2 was good for us, they should have done a better job of convincing a majority of the voters.

5. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    My question though is why do you care? If someone wants to sit in their house and smoke pot for recreational purposes, why does it bother you? Would you also support alcohol prohibition again? It reminds me a bit of the gay marriage debate. You don't want to get gay married, don't. If you don't want to smoke pot, don't! But why do you get to decide for everyone else?

Maybe it is just the independent, freedom loving American in me, but I don't need a government bureaucrat to tell me what I can eat or drink. And that goes well beyond pot, If I want to drink a 64 oz. soda in NYC why is that a problem? If I have a painful terminal illness, why should the government tell me I can't end it peaceably? Probably the same reason I was pissed they closed Nutty Putty closed. Let people take responsibility for their own lives.

Seems like if the leg didn't think prop 2 was good for us, they should have done a better job of convincing a majority of the voters.

^^^THIS^^^

I've always wondered what the big deal with recreational is anyway. As I have stated previously ad nausem -- it's already present everywhere in massive quantities. Why not profit from it?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

My question though is why do you care? But why do you get to decide for everyone else?
    Seems to me he was just expressing his opinion. That doesn't go over very well with you liberal types, now does it?

Personally, I think prostitution should be legal. Any woman over 18. Got any daughters, Mr. Fly?
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Personally, I think prostitution should be legal. Any woman over 18.
    You should pick up and move to Nevada - where prostitution IS legal.

Seems to me he was just expressing his opinion. That doesn't go over very well with you liberal types, now does it?

Personally, I think prostitution should be legal. Any woman over 18. Got any daughters, Mr. Fly?
    He gave his opinion, I gave mine. It's not my fault that his opinion is wrong. I am not sure what it has to do with liberal/conservative honestly. I'd say my pov in this is closer to the Libertarian pov honestly. Since when is "get government out of my life" a liberal viewpoint? I am just requesting the government stop treading on me.

By the way, we agree on the prostitution thing too, and I have a daughter. Luckily not a prostitute though. Regulate it, tax it, and segregate it to certain areas and I am just fine with it. It's done all over Europe. Better than streetwalkers in my opinion. The hard part (see what I did there) about prostitution is making sure that even legal brothels are "human trafficking" free.

10. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    The hard part (see what I did there)....

This is the reason why a long time ago I made it a point to replace the word "hard" in my vocabulary with "difficult."

I'm a big believer that the worse thing you can do is keep vice hidden in the dark shadows. That goes for drugs, prostitution, gambling, etc. By forcing these vices into the shadows you create crime and victims who are afraid to report the crimes. But the dumbest thing of all is you can't legislature vice or morals, despite what our Utah legislators think.

Climb-Utah.com

13. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    He gave his opinion, I gave mine. It's not my fault that his opinion is wrong. I am not sure what it has to do with liberal/conservative honestly.
    Yeah...but in your opinion, he'd favor outlawing alcohol and is possibly against gay marriage? Liberals IMO, tend to "pile on" with the accusations...when in reality, he didn't mention any of those subjects. I didn't notice him saying he was definitively against rec. mj, either.

Of course, Scott can speak for himself...I just thought the way you pigeonholed him was a bit heavy.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

15. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    You should pick up and move to Nevada - where prostitution IS legal.
    Damn near did that a few years ago. I decided to take a break from women after the most recent girlfriend but after about 2 years I started to get jacked up. I was going to take a road trip to that whorehouse south of Vegas (figured it would cost me about $1000 to get leveled out) when one of my neighbors came around all flirty and shaking her hips.

She came out to Hawaii with me and I ended up spending that grandad anyway...picking up the lion's share of food and lodging. Worth it though...nothing like the warmth of a woman to square you away.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'm a big believer that the worse thing you can do is keep vice hidden in the dark shadows. That goes for drugs, prostitution, gambling, etc. By forcing these vices into the shadows you create crime and victims who are afraid to report the crimes. But the dumbest thing of all is you can't legislature vice or morals, despite what our Utah legislators think.

Climb-Utah.com
    ^^^^This is so true.^^^^

And it's one of the major reasons the war on drugs is a colossal failure.

I decided to take a break from women after the most recent girlfriend....

And give men a try?
    Last edited by rockgremlin; 11-29-2018 at 10:52 AM.

I think I will avoid responding to the ad hominem and other fallacious comments in your statement. I will however tell you that I care, just like you care, about rights, our community, and our country. I care based upon my life experience and what I believe is best for my community and my country. I don't believe that unrestricted use of marijuana is good for society. Yep, there it is, my opinion. :)
    Life is Good

20. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Climb-Utah.com
    I am not sure where to start with this comment. I have said this many times to many groups and individuals. The Law is very simply societies' definition of the lowest moral standard. In other words, for virtually every law, there is a moral reason. If you fall below the law, you have fallen below the lowest acceptable standard established by society. Think of trying to make a dollar in any business. There are rules about how to do that for the benefit of society founded upon principles of honesty and fairness -- moral principles. The criminal code, child support, alimony, etc. etc. are all based on morality or controlling "vices", or doing what you ought to be doing as a (moral) human being (supporting kids you brought into this world so society doesn't have to). To be blunt, legislatures can and do legislate morality. In fact, it is about all they do.

This is why I say, if you have an opposing view from your neighbors, run for office and persuade those in your voting district that your views (of morality) are correct.
    Life is Good

So....it follows then that by those standards partaking of medical marijuana is immoral....which is categorically untrue.

The same logic somehow endorses alcohol and tobacco consumption. Huge double standard there.

You're treading into reallllly grey areas by trying to legislate and enforce morality. That is a line that differs from person to person. Why then did Canada as a country vote to legalize recreational marijuana? Because they are immoral?

So....it follows then that by those standards partaking of medical marijuana is immoral....which is categorically untrue.

The same logic somehow endorses alcohol and tobacco consumption. Huge double standard there.

You're treading into reallllly grey areas by trying to legislate and enforce morality. That is a line that differs from person to person. Why then did Canada as a country vote to legalize recreational marijuana? Because they are immoral?

"mo·ral·i·ty
    /məˈralədē/
    noun

• principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.
      ...."

Sorry, but it is true. Society chooses its moral code of conduct. It is called the law. Society has defined marijuana use as "immoral" because it is behavior that is not accepted. It is bad under the law. The law IS the legal definition of right and wrong, good and bad, as defined by the government -- people we elected. It is the lowest moral code accepted by society. Seems that our nature is to not be controlled or to be told what is right or wrong, moral or immoral. So, welcome to the law and welcome to the purpose of governments, and welcome to defining morality for the masses.

Yes, I'd agree as to the double standard regarding alcohol and tobacco. Are there any health benefits whatsoever to tobacco??? Why is it still legal?

As to Canada, they lowered the bar/definition of morality or legality regarding marijuana. It used to be immoral/illegal now it is not.
    Life is Good

24. Likes jman liked this post
    My question though is why do you care?
    What you are missing, for those of us who DON'T CARE, if you want to change the law you need to make a better arguments than:
    Mormons are controlling,
    Marijuana isn't terrible. ..

YOU need to do better work at convincing us to go support it. It's not us that need to open our minds, it's you that needs to do a better job at selling it.

The guilt trip doesn't motivate me to vote for something, except against it.

And give men a try?
    Oh heck...I wouldn't have to drive all the way to Nevada to get some nookie in that case...There's a gay bar "The Mineshaft" just a mile up the road.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    What you are missing, for those of us who DON'T CARE, if you want to change the law you need to make a better arguments than:
    Mormons are controlling,
    Marijuana isn't terrible. ..

I did. Did you click the link I posted?

Or are you still insistent that "medical marijuana" is just a concept dreamed up by Willie Nelson and Cheech and Chong to finally legalize what they've been indulging in for the last 5 decades? And the notion that cannabis could ever be medicinal is just a well crafted lie meant to benefit all of those hippy stoners out there who are sick of running from the law to get their puff on?

"mo·ral·i·ty
    /məˈralədē/
    noun

• principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.

I see what you did there...couching your response in dictionary format...

The problem as I see it are those two words that I highlighted: Right and Wrong. So, so subjective. Your right might be my wrong, and vice versa. And if my wrong doesn't impact you or anybody else, then why are you poking your beak in?