Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical Marijuana in Utah

Medical Marijuana in Utah

Looks like it’s going to pass.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I read that the results were heavily in favor in Salt Lake and Weber counties, but heavily opposed in Davis and Utah counties. No surprise there ~ with the heavy LDS population and the diligent efforts the church invested in last minute campaigning against it.

I was questioning why the church was so diligent at campaigning at the last second even after all parties had to agreed to hold off on campaigning either for or against after that compromise with the Gov was struck.

Guess it doesn't really matter now.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    I read that the results were heavily in favor in Salt Lake and Weber counties, but heavily opposed in Davis and Utah counties. No surprise there ~ with the heavy LDS population and the diligent efforts the church invested in last minute campaigning against it.

I was questioning why the church was so diligent at campaigning at the last second even after all parties had to agreed to hold off on campaigning either for or against after that compromise with the Gov was struck.

Guess it doesn't really matter now.
    Because if it failed there is no chance in hell they would have actually done anything about it. This forces their hand.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Because if it failed there is no chance in hell they would have actually done anything about it. This forces their hand.
    "I know this Church is True, Joseph Smith was a prophet and it's better to stick with Prozac, Xanax and Opiods over something that comes from the earth."

And just like that, the Mormons weren't as oppressively controlling as people said they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    And just like that, the Mormons weren't as oppressively controlling as people said they were.
    lol. You really are interested in how people view the Mormons. Is there a thread on here where you haven't brought up the poor picked on Mormons?

lol. You really are interested in how people view the Mormons. Is there a thread on here where you haven't brought up the poor picked on Mormons?
    Funny, I only reply to prior comments about the Mormons.

Are you conflicted now that it passed, but the Mormons are supposed to be super controlling?

What now?

Funny, I only reply to prior comments about the Mormons.

Are you conflicted now that it passed, but the Mormons are supposed to be super controlling?

What now?
    lol, yes I am super conflicted. What will I ever do?

For some reason, though I don't have any ill will toward the Mormon Church or Mormons in general, you still love to play the "he's picking on me" card. Oh and the church can still be considered "super controlling" and the prop can pass. I would bet if you looked at the stats, had only Mormons voted, it would have went down in flames. And the church did come out loud and often in opposition, so to somehow try to spin this as the church isn't controlling is a bit of a stretch.

I am Mormon.... just a terrible one. I like to pick on them.

lAnd the church did come out loud and often in opposition, so to somehow try to spin this as the church isn't controlling is a bit of a stretch.

This is exactly my point. The church breached the "silent agreement" that all parties agreed to by coming out in the eleventh hour in strong opposition to Prop 2 here:

https://www.ksl.com/article/46419486...hns-to-vote-no

That one was a bit of a head-scratcher...everybody else agreed to maintain silence as per the agreements laid out in the compromise with the Governor. Why did the church feel they needed to renege on that in a last ditch message in opposition? It just looks desperate.

12. Likes DirkHammergate liked this post
    So, is it not a valid point that this proposition passed with ease, despite all of the talk of the monopolistic oppression from the LDS Church?

I thought it was a valid point. 3 mentions of the church in opposition and I'm the one that gets called out for my 1 comment? OK I guess, I know it's fun to complain about the super oppressive nazi Mormon church, but you shouldn't get so upset that once in a while somebody might have the balls to give a proper rebuttal with facts.

If Prop 2 passed in Utah, all of your comments about the super controlling Mormon church are complete bullshit.

I don't care either way, but whenever I read something posted here that doesn't make sense, I like to give some educational feedback.

Cheers.

If Prop 2 passed in Utah, all of your comments about the super controlling Mormon church are complete bullshit.
    That's not necessarily true, a majority of Mormon's were in favor of Prop 2 before the Church came out against it. It went from roughly 77% down to 55% in approval once their opposition was voiced. Surely many Mormon's went against the Church's opposition and voted for it. That doesn't mean the Church isn't super controlling, just possibly losing its control on membership.

Just because Prop 2 passed doesn't mean the church isn't controlling.

As I stated earlier, and which I'll repeat here, the church broke a previously agreed to silence to aggressively campaign against Prop 2 in the eleventh hour, just days before the election. Why would they do that? Nobody else had a problem holding their tongue.

As Uintah stated, if it were up to strictly the church members the Prop would have failed miserably. Heck, it failed miserably in Utah and Davis counties -- what does that tell you?

The LDS church came out at the last minute against marijuana in hope of torpedoing the idea completely... plain and simple.

but hey if I suggest the other side of the argument, @uintafly is gonna call me out on it.

4 arguments countering the LDS church's stance, and 1 stating the LDS isn't as controlling as accused, and I'm the one called out on it. Hilarious.

Funny, I've never felt controlled. And I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
    Life is Good

No what's hilarious is that you can't see the plain truth even when it's dangled in front of you 4 different ways. Sometimes ya gotta just embrace that the other side MIGHT just have a point.

The LDS church controls politics here in Utah. So what? Everybody knows that. If you argue differently you've gotta be deluded.

I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. The church was here first, I think there's a certain expectation that they are going to maintain a controlling voice in all affairs here. Quit assigning the negative label. I'm not saying it's bad, but it definitely does exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Funny, I've never felt controlled. And I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

That's because you don't drink alcohol, and aren't a cancer patient on chemo. If you were either of those you might have a different opinion.

LOL.... the Church issues opinions and statements. People choose to follow or not.

As for me Rock, I embrace "the other side" on a daily basis. I am an attorney who considers both sides of arguments every working day of my life. If I didn't, I would have been ousted from my profession long ago.
    Life is Good