Thread: Goblin's Squeeze

Goblin's Squeeze

I haven't seen any beta online for this cave/tunnel, so I thought I'd post it here since it's accessible via the Goblin's Lair canyoneering route (or via the hiking trail).

The full beta and trip report are posted on my website here: https://dyeclan.com/outdooractivities/caving/?id=698

We did the Goblin's Lair canyoneering route over fall break after doing Ding and Dang with 8 adults, 9 kids, and pools as deep as our armpits (that was exciting!), which is why we settled on the very dry and beginner friendly Goblin's Lair route the next day.

The entrance to Goblin's Squeeze is located inside Goblin's Lair. When you're standing inside the lair looking out towards the exit, the entrance to Goblin's Squeeze will be on your right, near the bottom of the debris pile. If you follow the path water would take in a flood, this will lead you directly through the cave.

Name:  Entrance.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  58.2 KB

Goblin's Squeeze is about 150 feet long. It requires many, many sections of belly crawling and is extremely tight in many locations. For all but one squeeze, you can stay at ground level though.

The exit is located at the base of the debris pile on the outside toe of the slope, right next to the approach trail.

Name:  Exit.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  75.7 KB

My sister Ondy discovered the cave while she was waiting for the rest of us to finish rappelling down into Goblin's Lair. She went in for quite a ways, to the first point where it gets really narrow and you have to belly crawl through the mud, and then she came back out to get others to join her. I was the next to join in, then Miller followed by Marci, Tara, and Anthony. Ondy led the exploration, which was very slow going because of all the tight squeezes.

The nice thing about Goblin's Squeeze, though, is that between every squeeze section, there is a room big enough to turn around in. About half-way through the cave, Ondy had me go first. As we slowly made our way through, we kept shouting back to the others behind us, in excitement, that it kept going! We were amazed that the cave didn't just dead-end or get so small we couldn't proceed. At one point, it got too small to continue at ground level, so we had to take the upper path over a rock before returning back down to the ground passage. Near the end, there was a drop that was about 3' tall. I didn't want to go head first down the passage until there was someone behind me that could pull me back out by my feet if I got stuck. Turns out it was no big deal because that spot opened up considerably. Anthony and Miller turned around after completing about 2/3 of the tunnel. They only had one cell phone light between them, so that made for an adventure all by itself.

Near the end of Goblin's Squeeze, I had to move several medium-sized rocks and scrape away some dirt and small rocks in order to fit through a tight passage. This makes me believe that either another group had explored the entire tunnel before, but there had been some rock falls after that group, or that we were the first group to completely explore the tunnel all the way from the entrance to the exit. Shortly after the drop, I could see daylight through some small passages that led to the surface. We probably could have climbed up to the surface at this point, but we chose to stay down at ground level. After a few more squeezes, we popped out the exit. It felt so cool to have explored this small cave and make it all the way through, especially knowing that we might have been the first people to complete the whole tunnel.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice find! Next time I'm there, I'll have to check it out.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

We discover that tunnel back when I first betaed Goblins Lair (2011?). It's pretty easy to find if you are trying to figure out how the water gets out and never creates a pool inside the caveran. I excluded reference to it from my beta because I didn't feel safe crawling through the passage as their were indications portions of it were unstable. YMMV

Climb-Utah.com

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    We discover that tunnel back when I first betaed Goblins Lair (2011?). It's pretty easy to find if you are trying to figure out how the water gets out and never creates a pool inside the caveran. I excluded reference to it from my beta because I didn't feel safe crawling through the passage as their were indications portions of it were unstable. YMMV

Climb-Utah.com
    Yes, there were definitely portions that were unstable. So did you guys make it all the way through or just explore a portion?

We did not go all the way through, but we did explore a long ways in. I do know others have mentioned it to me and explored it but you are the first I know for certain that has been all the way through.

Just curious, how long would you guess the tunnel is?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Just curious, how long would you guess the tunnel is?
    I'm guessing about 150 feet.

8. Likes Iceaxe liked this post

I took a peek in that drain hole a few years ago and said no way.

11. Likes moab mark liked this post
    Hell would freeze over before.......

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

13. Likes Sandstone Addiction, Iceaxe liked this post