Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Utah Jazz 2018-19

Utah Jazz 2018-19

The Jazz just put 81 points on the Warriors at the half. 6 players in double figures. 11 three pointers! On fire!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

And then they lose...

I'm still very excited about this Jazz team. I hope I am not setting myself up for disappointment.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I'm still very excited about this Jazz team. I hope I am not setting myself up for disappointment.

If you're a fan of any Utah team then you should be well accustomed to disappointment. It should be your constant companion, like the Holy Ghost.

I've never known a Utah team to NOT choke and lose a game that they were heavily favored to win at least once throughout the season. It is the Utah way. I can speak with authority on the subject, being a long time Jazz and Utes follower since I was old enough to care. And I can't even count the number of games I've fumed about and fretted over because even though they were favored to win by 20+ points, they somehow found a way to snap defeat from the jaws of victory. It happens so frequently. Fortunately, most Utah fans are forgiving and have short memories.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I am a native of this great state also @rockgremlin. I can only respond by saying that last year's Jazz team far exceeded my expectations w/o Hayward. It was a ton of fun to watch Donovan Mitchell emerge. I certainly am not expecting the team to play for the title but I can see them playing in the Western Conference finals. I think my expectations are, barring injury, that they are at least 3rd in the Western Conference.
    Life is Good

7. Likes accadacca liked this post
    I'm not a big basketball fan. The only thing I remember about the Jazz was this tall black guy and a short white guy that worked really well together.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

9. Likes accadacca, oldno7 liked this post
    All you really need to know about the Jazz is if they have anyone that is any good they will be gobbled up by the big market teams.

Without a hard salary cap the NBA is a joke.

Climb-Utah.com

https://www.ksl.com/article/46412205...top-jazz-92-84 --- But Ingles had a triple single last night, so there's that....

They beat the Kings to start the season, and then proceed to shoot themselves in the foot for the next two games. It's difficult to be a fan of a team that is constantly letting you down.

It is the beginning of a long season. They will lose some. Let's talk in January. :)
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    https://www.ksl.com/article/46412205...top-jazz-92-84 --- But Ingles had a triple single last night, so there's that....

They beat the Kings to start the season, and then proceed to shoot themselves in the foot for the next two games. It's difficult to be a fan of a team that is constantly letting you down.
    Decent win last night though. Even without Paul it's still a good defensive game to hold the Rockets down like that at home. I think if they can stay healthy and Mitchell can take a little step forward they will be in the hunt for the 2 seed. Exum has been a blast to watch this year. The dude is fast.

A win against the Harden-led Rockets in Houston is always a good win.

I'm loving the new aggressive Gobert! If he can keep up this work on the offensive side, the Jazz can go a long way I think. My only worry is that it really seems like Rubio is worse this year than last. Am I the only one thinking that?

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    I'm loving the new aggressive Gobert! If he can keep up this work on the offensive side, the Jazz can go a long way I think. My only worry is that it really seems like Rubio is worse this year than last. Am I the only one thinking that?

Rubio has had two double-doubles so far, and that one he had against New Orleans was really impressive (28pts, 12 assists).

Admittedly outside of those two games he's been a ghost. And considering he's the second highest paid player ($14,275,000) behind Gobert ($21,974,719), I would say he's an overpaid liability at the moment.

For comparison, consider that Donovan Mitchell's salary is $2,621,280!!
    Last edited by rockgremlin; 10-31-2018 at 06:49 AM.

Rubio has had two double-doubles so far, and that one he had against New Orleans was really impressive (28pts, 12 boards).

Admittedly outside of those two games he's been a ghost. And considering he's the second highest paid player ($14,275,000) behind Gobert ($21,974,719), I would say he's an overpaid liability at the moment.

For comparison, consider that Donovan Mitchell's salary is $2,621,280!!
    Gotta love those rookie contracts!

Last night the Warriors reminded everyone we are all playing for second place. The 2 best shooters in the league, probably the best pure scorer, a top ten defender, and a laid back coach that knows how to deal with all of the egos. 4* Hall of Famers in their prime all on the same team. No one is touching them this year. It takes something away from the regular season knowing who is gonna win it, but they are wild to watch. May as well enjoy it.

* Draymond may not be a hall of famer if he played his career elsewhere, but he will make it thanks to all of the championships.

In last Sunday's game against Dallas Rubio again underwhelms in the points category with 6 points on 2 for 9 shooting. But a different stat popped out that I hadn't considered before: assists. Rubio leads the team in assists/game. On Sunday he had 8 assists, and he averages over 7.5 assists per game. So maybe he's not impressive under the points column but he definitely contributes in other ways.

Rubio lays an egg (5pts, 5 assists) in yesterday's ridiculous loss to Derrick Rose.

Lack of production in the point guard position is hurting the Jazz.

Rubio lays an egg (5pts, 5 assists) in yesterday's ridiculous loss to Derrick Rose.

Lack of production in the point guard position is hurting the Jazz.
    I was out with the kiddos and only caught the 4th quarter, but from what I saw it was a pathetic game. missed free throws, turnovers, spotty defense.... They keep playing like that and they will be fighting for an 8 seed instead of the 2-4 seed I was thinking a few weeks ago. The Warriors game is excusable but now you have the Memphis and T-wolves games too. They need to kick it up a notch.

So.....when does Utah decide they wanna play basketball? They look lethargic and careless -- playing like they don't give a $hite if they win or lose. They have a lot of really great talent on this team that should be playing better than their current performance. All of these turnovers, missed free throws, and lack of defense makes them look like they're just not motivated at all. What gives?

Got spanked tonight too...

50 point loss!?!? Is that a franchise record?