Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make Skiing Great Again 2018

Make Skiing Great Again 2018

Finally, the long soul sucking summer is over! Went up to Alta to get a few turns in. The snow was surprisingly good with decent coverage if you stuck to the typical groomed runs. Nice to get 1st day on 10/11. Here's to a hudge year.

Name:  a 3.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  60.5 KBName:  a 2.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  57.4 KBName:  a 1.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  58.4 KB

2. Likes BasinCruiser, accadacca, jman, rockgremlin liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Soul-sucking Summer is right!!

Good to see that much snow on the ground this early in the season. As of a week ago I was wondering if it was ever going to rain and/or snow again.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Awesome, I saw @KanyonKris was getting some turns in too. I need to invest in a splitboard, but I'm still saving up for an ebike

Friday-Sunday I will finally get my first lift served turns of the year riding the wrod at Alta. Saturday, looks like it may not be too bad though. Anyone else headed up this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Friday-Sunday I will finally get my first lift served turns of the year riding the wrod at Alta. Saturday, looks like it may not be too bad though. Anyone else headed up this weekend?

I thought you were gonna spend your Saturday sitting in the snow watching Utah fans spill beer all over Max Hall's extended family?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

8. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    I thought you were gonna spend your Saturday sitting in the snow watching Utah fans spill beer all over Max Hall's extended family?

I'll ski and then hit up Maverick for my Natty Light and then proceed directly to the stadium.

Skiing has been muy bueno this week, I have been able to get up Wednesday and Thursday afternoon for a few hours, but this morning took the cake. 8" of fluff on top of all of the heavier cream from yesterday. Hardly any crowds this week up at Alta either, but that will probably change tomorrow. Legs were really starting to feel it today, hopefully they hold up tomorrow.

Name:  turns.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  17.1 KB

No idea why that is showing up sideways.

Mr. Fly...the sideways thing.

I had the same problem with some of my photos. I don't know the reason, but I have a remedy.

"Preview" your post before you "submit" it...if the pic is sideways, delete it, open your photos in another window and slightly crop the picture. Re-select it then you're good to go.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason why some go sideways and others don't.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Mr. Fly...the sideways thing.

I had the same problem with some of my photos. I don't know the reason, but I have a remedy.

"Preview" your post before you "submit" it...if the pic is sideways, delete it, open your photos in another window and slightly crop the picture. Re-select it then you're good to go.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason why some go sideways and others don't.
    Ahh okay. Just noticed your post 2timer. I will try that next go round

Poked around a bit and made a few laps up Beartrap yesterday afternoon. Snow is still really good if you stay off the south facing slopes which have a bit of a crust.

Name:  Beartrap.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  21.4 KB

14. Likes twotimer liked this post
    The tourists all took over our fine resorts last week, so I had to earn my turns. The little refresher storms we have been getting have been leading to some delightful skiing.

Name:  Rocky2.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  65.1 KB

Name:  rocky1.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  46.8 KB

Name:  Rocky3.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  83.3 KB

16. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    It's been too cold to take pictures, but my gahd the skiing was good Monday morning at Alta. I got up there early and waited in the cold for 90 minutes to get on 3rd chair but 1st tracks down stonecrusher made it worth it.

Hopefully any skiers on the board got out in the last few days. Sunday was by far the best day of the season for me with free refills all day. 17" at Alta during the day, and it was that gloriously light powder we all love. Yesterday was really good, but the snow that fell overnight wasn't quite as light. If anyone else got out, post up some pics.

Name:  snow.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  truck.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  61.4 KB

(Cheesy dad alert) As good as the skiing was, the best part of the weekend for me was the minion getting in the advanced class at the evals for Alta Explorers on Saturday, and then having his Snowbird instructor say that he was a natural powder skier. I always like skiing with the little ones, but it sure is nice when the actual skiing portion is fun too.

Name:  kid.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  52.4 KB

19. Likes twotimer, Sandstone Addiction, jman liked this post
    I can only wish I got out. Had to work and boss would not understand powder flu.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Today was amazing at Powder Mountain. Too many people made the mistake of going up there yesterday after the massive snow over the weekend, but I heard they couldn't even open up the lifts until noon because of the high winds.

The nice thing about Pow Mow is you can find fresh stuff for a few days after a big snowstorm. I got stuck in thigh high powder today a couple of times, and it was a beautiful, no wind, bluebird day. I'll have some shots to post soon.

Groovy, man.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

25. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Here's a shot from the sky of Powder Mountain.

I missed a great opportunity for a time lapse shot, the fog was rolling over ridge at the top of Hidden Lake Lodge. Most of the time, choosing to hit an untouched powder run first is the right decision. But when I came back up, ready to shoot the time lapse of the fog, it was gone. Oh well, I'll get it next time.

27. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Here's a shot from the sky of Powder Mountain.

I missed a great opportunity for a time lapse shot, the fog was rolling over ridge at the top of Hidden Lake Lodge. Most of the time, choosing to hit an untouched powder run first is the right decision. But when I came back up, ready to shoot the time lapse of the fog, it was gone. Oh well, I'll get it next time.

Nice shots. Do you do paid work for them or just fooling around?

The snow was remarkably good this weekend considering how long it has been since we have seen any new snow. Alta opened main chute this weekend so I decided to hike my fatass up there and earn some turns. I'm glad I did. Props to the guy who dropped in from the spicy east side of Main Chute and proceeded to rip it up all the way to ballroom in probably less than 15 seconds. The best part was that he did it rocking skinny little skis that were at least 25 years old. My only question for him was how he made the hike to the top with those big balls in his pants???

It was purdy up top.

Name:  baldy.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  80.7 KB

29. Likes Sombeech liked this post