Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LDS Church Meeting Times

LDS Church Meeting Times

This just in, LDS Church Meeting Times reduced by an hour.

Dallin Oaks still hates anyone remotely different.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    Dallin Oaks still hates anyone remotely different.
    Elaborate, please.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Gotta love it when critics of the church can't wait to post topics discussed during conference, before it's even over

I think the meeting reduction time is a great thing actually. Long over due.

I think the meeting reduction time is a great thing actually. Long over due.
    Completely sidestepped my question.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Elaborate, please.
    Oh he just played bad cop to Deiter's Good Cop. I found it odd that Deiter gave a pretty good speech about less active members "coming back" and they "need them" while Oaks was casting out a very small net. Deiter called himself a German Shepard too, that made even me laugh.

Nothing nobody doesn't know anyway... https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2018...ader-dallin-h/

9. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Oh he just played bad cop to Deiter's Good Cop. I found it odd that Deiter gave a pretty good speech about less active members "coming back" and they "need them" while Oaks was casting out a very small net. Deiter called himself a German Shepard too, that made even me laugh.

Nothing nobody doesn't know anyway... https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2018...ader-dallin-h/
    Wait, so you were watching LDS conference?

Or did you scour the internet for articles about LDS conference and wait to be offended?

12. Likes Scott Card, tallsteve liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Wait, so you were watching LDS conference?

Or did you scour the internet for articles about LDS conference and wait to be offended?
    Yeah, I watched the first part where they reduced meeting times and heard about Oaks via my Brother. I was picking up some Pho during Deiter's speech cause I'd been listening to KSL Friday (Cavanaugh stuff) and it was just on. That crack made me laugh plus he seems pretty reasonable by comparison to the others. I like to keep abreast their moving target to keep members from leaving.

Yeah, I watched the first part where they reduced meeting times and heard about Oaks via my Brother. I was picking up some Pho during Deiter's speech cause I'd been listening to KSL Friday (Cavanaugh stuff) and it was just on. That crack made me laugh plus he seems pretty reasonable by comparison to the others. I like to keep abreast their moving target to keep members from leaving.
    I can't stomach more than 20 minutes though, they're the same talks I heard growing up 35 years ago.

My Brother is really active, Elder's Quorum prez in his new ward in Holladay, he moved in and 3 weeks later they called him cause he's pretty sharp along with his wife. I was like "dude, what's up with that??" and he's like "basically we're the youngest couple in the ward by 25 years..." He's 55. Also he stays pretty abreast of anything the churchs says about the LGBTQ community as his daughter was one of the first to marry her same sex partner in Utah. He was the one who sent my that tweet meme yesterday after conference. Not an Oaks guy is he.

16. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Name:  IMG_8791(7).jpg
Views: 258
Size:  25.1 KB
    Yeah I get it. I cringe every time Oaks takes the stand. Just very polarizing and lacking empathy.

Maybe it's a generational thing or maybe it's just his style, I don't know.

18. Likes DirkHammergate liked this post
    I must admit, I missed Oaks' talk, and I haven't gone out and Googled something to get offended over.

Can somebody tell me the most offensive thing he said, without posting a big link for me to read? Can you tell me what you found offensive without googling it?

Just curious, as I missed it and I haven't heard much about it.

^^^ Basically he minimizes the issues surrounding LBGT as "gender confusion."

Anything that has to do with LBGT is unapologetically and unequivocally an affront to God and a very grave sin.

21. Likes DirkHammergate liked this post
    I can sympathize that it's a tough thing to hear, that the Church isn't going to budge on accepting homosexual activity.

On one hand, somebody, probably Oaks, is the guy to remind the church members of this, just in case a lot of people are getting their hopes up because of some recent facebook polls. If it's not stated clearly, people are going to wonder if the church will start to get lenient.

On the other hand, and I haven't looked through any of his talk yet, but I'll bet he stated that we should show love, kindness and/or respect towards those with same sex attraction.

There are plenty of people, billions in fact, that will never join the church. We will never be told by any church authority that we should treat them any different.

One of these days it'll be time to stop getting shocked at a policy that has never changed. But nah, next General Conference in 6 months, all the very same people will be like "oh I can't believe they think homosexuality is a sin, I just can't believe they would say that". And then in a year, and then in 18 months..... and the church will be called hateful bigots and then we'll all move on to the next hot political topic that week.

Not expecting a policy change. May as well expect the sun not to rise.

And not "shocked" that homosexuality is a sin. Just merely pointing out that it is an extremely sensitive subject, and one that is very likely to offend a very large group of people no matter how it's addressed.

This subject hits very close to home, so I guess you can lump me into that group of people you think are too sensitive.
    Last edited by rockgremlin; 10-08-2018 at 07:48 PM.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I can't stomach more than 20 minutes though, they're the same talks I heard growing up 35 years ago.

My Brother is really active, Elder's Quorum prez in his new ward in Holladay, he moved in and 3 weeks later they called him cause he's pretty sharp along with his wife. I was like "dude, what's up with that??" and he's like "basically we're the youngest couple in the ward by 25 years..." He's 55. Also he stays pretty abreast of anything the churchs says about the LGBTQ community as his daughter was one of the first to marry her same sex partner in Utah. He was the one who sent my that tweet meme yesterday.
    So--your family has a history of meme(kinda thought so)

On a more serious note;

Why does the lgbqt community feel they have a right to be in a church that doesn't accept them?

This is akin to trying to drive square pegs into round holes and then yelling at the sky because they don't fit.

Wouldn't it be more sensical to find or create their own method of worship based on those traits rather than trying to force them on a un willing group(square peg/round hole)

This seems very similar to the boy scouts being forced to accept girls, the group didn't want them.

Why is there a need to create the hate and drama.

Seems like it would be more fun to go up big cottonwood with a group of like minded individuals and praise and honor whomever/whatever they want, then sing kumbaya.

But noo, lets go down and march on temple square and be spiteful and hateful, yea that sounds like way more fun.

Nope--I ain't mormon/LDS or whichever is the currently correct name.

Just a follower of the church of logic and reason.

(for the meme's sake, we'll pretend the old guy is an L--no, that won't work, guys love being the L, he's a G, yep, old guy yelling at cloud is a G.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

25. Likes Sandstone Addiction, twotimer liked this post
    I'm definitely sensitive to it as well, I've got 3 gay family members and several gay friends, and a few more that I talk to once in a while.

The thing is, these messages about treating them with respect and kindness are being shared all year long. If we choose to only listen to it once every 6 months, it might come across as a bit blunt. These topics are being discussed on a weekly basis, articles written, talks given, broadcasts, they are happening all year long. But those of us that have minimal contact with the church will only read about it every 6 months in the headlines, which have been worded to get 'dem clicks.

The church has donated money and worked to gain some relationships with LBGT groups, but these things aren't in the headlines. The church even had a presence in the Pride parades. Without googling, I can't remember, but they may have even been in the actual parade. The church wants to build this relationship.

It's similar in a way, how the LDS church works with other religions, Christian and Non, building relationships and working toward common goals. They aren't trying to convert, and they don't expect to change any minds, but true "open mindedness" includes accepting people for how they are, and not demanding that they change.

The church isn't demanding ANYBODY change, they just clearly say this is what we believe, you're welcome to go our way or not. Whatever you choose, we can still be friendly. The other side, however, is demanding every damned day that the church changes.

Think of it this way, and forget if it sounds blunt for just a minute and tell me if I'm wrong.

The LDS Church says you are welcome to live a certain lifestyle, and our program is not for you if you choose that path. We will still treat you with respect, we can still be friends and family.

But that is much more tolerant that the other side, you must agree. If they are demanding that the LDS Church change it's rules to include a majority of people that have zero interest in joining anyways, you must see this is the definition of intolerance.

Demanding somebody change because they do not think like you, is intolerance. The LDS Church is not demanding ANYBODY to change their lifestyle. They simply say go your own way and we will happily keep our same rules.

When I hear somebody tell me how the Mormons tell them not to drink alcohol, I can't think of a single person that has ever told any of my friends that they shouldn't drink alcohol. Not a single one. People say the church has these demands of people, to tell them what to do, and it just doesn't happen. The church doesn't tell you what to do. The church lets you do whatever the hell you want, go your own way, but if you want to participate with us, here are the rules we have for our group.