Thread: Hurricane Rosa

Blog Entries

Hurricane Rosa

It’s finally arriving in Southern Utah (well, like 2 hours ago actually) but I saw that it hit St George pretty hard just for about an hour.

And it’s going up to Cedar City currently. From what I can tell, it has NOT hit Zion, so far. I’m sure that will change though later this afternoon as the heat builds up.

And Greater Phoenix is getting a lot of rain right now according to the radar maps!

Hopefully Utah will receive a bunch of that rain soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm expecting this storm event to be like all the others in the last 6 months: A threatening, looming, intimidating storm front that dies once it hits I-70. Northern Utah hasn't seen a good rain storm for months. I read an article yesterday that said Utah is in the worst drought in over 20 years.

Here's hoping...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

4. Likes blueeyes, jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    I'm expecting this storm event to be like all the others in the last 6 months: A threatening, looming, intimidating storm front that dies once it hits I-70. Northern Utah hasn't seen a good rain storm for months. I read an article yesterday that said Utah is in the worst drought in over 20 years.

Here's hoping...
    Yeah seriously. Flooding or now, water is the new gold. We need every drop. Although, snow is more important than rain for the long-term.

●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Blog Entries
    Zion NP issued a warning for the entire park for today and tomorrow so that means no permits will be given. And the narrows will be closed to any hikers.

If you are in the area, and in a safe area away from drainages, this would be a good one to watch from far away though.

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

7. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    I think this will knock all of the fall colors off of the trees so you'd better get out an enjoy them today.

Blog Entries
    Salt lake by the airport (where I work) is raining pretty hard right now. And looking at the mountains, Davis county is getting a bunch too.

Finally....

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

the sun is still shining in Brigham City, but the wind is starting to blow a bit and the clouds are coming. I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I think this will knock all of the fall colors off of the trees so you'd better get out an enjoy them today.
    Taking full advantage of the situation. This is the current state of things in the Price area. I grabbed this shot just west of Price, up Consumers Road:

Name:  20181002_131059.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  72.6 KB

Name:  20181002_131607.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  77.5 KB

Name:  20181002_131708.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  63.1 KB

12. Likes Sombeech, savanna3313, jman liked this post
    Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    I don't know about the entire St. George area, but I was looking forward to an awesome rainstorm. Some mild rain fell during the night last night, clouds came and went throughout the day (no rain) and I just watched a magnificent sunset. On the news, the area looks like we're being inundated, but so far it's not the case. Hopefully some actual measurable rain will fall during this front. We need it!
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

14. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo View Post
    the sun is still shining in Brigham City, but the wind is starting to blow a bit and the clouds are coming. I can't wait.
    Well? So how did Brigham City fare? On my drive back into Ogden from Price I was awed by the light show on display in all areas north. It looked like Brigham City, Tremonton, and the Raft River mountains were getting pounded by the looks of it as I counted a lightning strike every 5 seconds up that way.

Blog Entries

Hurricane Rosa

Here’s the radar for the state. Northern Utah will get a lot throughout the night as it travels in a slow northeast direction.

From the radar echoes - The pinkish color is very intense rain or possibly hail

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I just drove home from WSU to Clearfield via 89 and 193. It was pouring down rain and in the dark a few cars were struggling to stay in their lane! Wipers wouldn't keep up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Chere'

18. Likes devo_stevo, rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    I just drove home from WSU to Clearfield via 89 and 193. It was pouring down rain and in the dark a few cars were struggling to stay in their lane! Wipers wouldn't keep up.

This is music to my eyes.

20. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    This is music to my eyes.
    We just need the freezing cold and I would be grinning from ear to ear.

Chere'

Well? So how did Brigham City fare? On my drive back into Ogden from Price I was awed by the light show on display in all areas north. It looked like Brigham City, Tremonton, and the Raft River mountains were getting pounded by the looks of it as I counted a lightning strike every 5 seconds up that way.
    It was pretty quiet up until about 8:30 or so, then the wind showed up and within 5 minutes or so of that, it started to rain. It dumped tons of rain in the first 15 minutes and the lightning was amazing. I was watching out the front window of my house when the whole sky lit up and there was a very loud bang, like a gunshot. Something got hit, and it was close to my house, but I'm not sure what it was. I drove around the neighborhood a bit this morning to see what I could see and I couldn't tell.

Once all that past by, it rained hard, but not as hard, for a couple of hours. It was great.

23. Likes jman, blueeyes, rockgremlin liked this post