Thread: Coca-Cola: We're 'closely watching' the market for drinks infused with cannabis

Coca-Cola: We're 'closely watching' the market for drinks infused with cannabis

Soft drink titan Coca-Cola is "closely watching" the market for drinks infused with cannabidiol, or CBD, the chemical in marijuana believed to relieve pain and anxiety.

Noting the space for cannabidiol-based drinks is "evolving quickly," the company stressed that the ingredient doesn't produce the high that comes from another cannabis-derived chemical known as THC.

"Along with many others in the beverage industry, we are closely watching the growth of non-psychoactive CBD as an ingredient in functional wellness beverages around the world," Coca-Cola said Monday in a statement.

"The space is evolving quickly. No decisions have been made at this time.”

The statement followed a report that Coca-Cola was allegedly in "serious talks" to develop cannabis-related beverages with Canada's Aurora Cannabis. That report, published by BNN Bloomberg, cited "multiple sources familiar with the matter" but was not denied in statements by both companies.

Aurora, a cannabis producer, wants to enter the infused beverage industry but does "not discuss business development initiatives until they are finalized," spokeswoman Heather MacGregor told the business network.

More: Coors maker readies sales of marijuana-infused drinks

More: Blue Moon's brewer launching marijuana-infused 'beer'

Coca-Cola test-launched an alcoholic drink in Japan earlier this year. A move into cannabis-derived beverages would offer another option for the company as health-conscious consumers move away from sugary sodas.

Coca-Cola's desire to explore CBD for a "functional wellness beverage" could result in a drink that eases inflammation, cramping or other pains, BNN Bloomberg reported.

The extract is already found in alternative medicines and supplements, with anecdotal evidence that it relieves anxiety, headaches and arthritis. The Food and Drug Administration approved its use to treat epilepsy earlier this year.

In the alcohol industry, the companies behind Coors and Blue Moon have both launched marijuana-related drinks. Molson Coors, the maker of Coors beer, also worked with a Canadian cannabis company to produce its infused products.

https://usat.ly/2xrq9hU

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This will not end well....

Xango will beat them to it...

Remember when MTV seemed crazy for producing their own content and fading away from showing videos? In a world with YouTube, the old MTV model would have never worked. Coca Cola's sales have began to drop off for the last 5 years as people have become more health conscience. Not only is Coke entertaining the idea of alchoholic and canabis infused drinks but they also have a milk drink they are trying (http://fortune.com/2016/03/17/coca-cola-fairlife-milk/)

Studies and internet reports like this:

Are why we are seeing sales droppings like this:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-of-coca-cola/

So I believe Coke is smart to be exploring alternative incomes which are more future proof.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

6. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    This will not end well....

Depends on your perspective. Aurora stock is up a staggering...... 18%!

@Oldno7 is gotta be loving this.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I've read some extra reports on https://cannasos.com/news/business/c...-industry-soon. I personally agree that it is made for marketing, but other companies sell drinks with cannabis why cola cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    Remember when MTV seemed crazy for producing their own content and fading away from showing videos? In a world with YouTube, the old MTV model would have never worked. Coca Cola's sales have began to drop off for the last 5 years as people have become more health conscience. Not only is Coke entertaining the idea of alchoholic and canabis infused drinks but they also have a milk drink they are trying (http://fortune.com/2016/03/17/coca-cola-fairlife-milk/)

Studies and internet reports like this:

BTW this graphic is horse shit.

It is based in facts, but it takes every bullet point to the utter extreme in order to create shock factor. There's a missing bullet (#7) -- I think it just got cropped out. Anyway, bullet point #7 claims that after 60 minutes you've urinated ALL of the water that was in the Coke, and now require even more water to expel the excess sugar and phosphoric acid buildup in your system. Basically making the point that every drop of water in that Coke can never went towards re-hydrating your body at all, and even worse will now tax your body for more fluid as it works to excrete the byproducts of soda digestion.

So, extrapolating that idea to its logical conclusion, you could die of dehydration if you sat down and drank an entire 12 pack of Coke in one sitting. Yeah, right...

It doesn't work that way. I'm all for drinking fresh, clean water but using nonsense scare tactics like this is just ignorant and irresponsible.

10. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    I drink about 6 liters of Diet Mtn Dew each day. Yeah I quit for a month, let's not talk about that, except for the fact I didn't feel that rush of overwhelming youth after giving up soda. Anyways..

Everybody tells me I need to drink more water, when in fact I'm drinking more water than any of them. 6 liters of water, I'm peeing a bunch per day. If you've ever looked at how little amount of syrup is added to the water to make these drinks, buy one of those Soda Stream machines and see for yourself. You fill up a 1 liter bottle of water and you're adding just a few tablespoons of syrup, and there you've got the same consistency as your favorite soft drink.

They'll say it's mixed, so it's not really water. But that's like drinking a bottle of water and then eating a sandwich, it's mixed in your stomach, so is it not water anymore?

These are the kinds of arguments I tell myself to make me feel better about my 6 liter daily habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I drink about 6 liters of Diet Mtn Dew each day. Yeah I quit for a month, let's not talk about that, except for the fact I didn't feel that rush of overwhelming youth after giving up soda. Anyways..

Everybody tells me I need to drink more water, when in fact I'm drinking more water than any of them. 6 liters of water, I'm peeing a bunch per day. If you've ever looked at how little amount of syrup is added to the water to make these drinks, buy one of those Soda Stream machines and see for yourself. You fill up a 1 liter bottle of water and you're adding just a few tablespoons of syrup, and there you've got the same consistency as your favorite soft drink.

They'll say it's mixed, so it's not really water. But that's like drinking a bottle of water and then eating a sandwich, it's mixed in your stomach, so is it not water anymore?

These are the kinds of arguments I tell myself to make me feel better about my 6 liter daily habit.
    EXACTLY.

So again -- extrapolating their logic, it's impossible to get any hydrating effects from fruit because....well...the water that is present in fruit is mixed with fructose and fiber. Too bad for you. Thought you were gonna get some mild hydration from that apple and those grapes you ate for lunch? Think again. Your body now has to work overtime to remove the natural sugars and fiber in the fruit, and then you just pee out the leftover water. Right?

Wrong.

I'm like you -- I drink a lot of diet Dew, and rarely drink just straight tap water. But somehow, someway I'm not dead from dehydration. Why is that? Is it because my body is in fact getting water from the diet Dew I drink?

Diet Coke used this same logic when they printed this label on their Diet Coke cartons a little while ago.

I hear that I've got Kidney Stones just waiting to manifest themselves, but I disagree. I think I'm flushing myself out so much that they aren't building up and forming.

On the other hand, I've heard that the darker colored colas can contribute to stones, but overall I still think it's about how well they are flushed out. I've been drinking liters a day for 20 years and I've never had a stone. Those that get stones from drinking "a lot of pop" are probably drinking a single 20oz a day without any other fluids.

I think the propensity to form kidney stones is just like everything else -- there's a genetic component to it. If you have that genetic tendency then a 12oz a day soda habit might put you at high risk. Otherwise, if you're staying reasonably hydrated it shouldn't be a big deal.

While I agree that the graphic shown is a bunch of crap, They have taken all of the bad things about soda and blown them up to the absolute worst possible end. That doesn't help the cause.

On the other hand, I did stop drinking soda as of April 1 this year after drinking a lot of it every day for the first 40 years of my life. I was starting to have problems with my blood sugar and getting heartburn more often. Since then, I haven't had a problem with either of those things and I feel a lot better. I also lost 15 pounds pretty quick.

I miss the taste of it, sometimes, but I feel so much better that I just don't care.

16. Likes accadacca liked this post