Thread: Anyone been to the squeeze lately?

Anyone been to the squeeze lately?

I am headed down to San Rafael next weekend for a little Squeeze action. Anyone been through lately and know water levels? Last time I went through I brought the 5mm and I don't even think I put it on. But if it is full I will take it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I suppose it depends on your own level of comfort. I'm prone to getting cold in canyons, but no way in Hades I'd take a 5mm down the Squeeze this time of year. A 3mm maybe.

You talking a full or a shorty?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    I suppose it depends on your own level of comfort. I'm prone to getting cold in canyons, but no way in Hades I'd take a 5mm down the Squeeze this time of year. A 3mm maybe.

You talking a full or a shorty?
    Full. I've gone through twice and it was cold as hell one time, and dry the other. I probably should just go with the 3mm.

Yeah a full 3 would be plenty for this time of year. The last time that area had any sizeable rainfall was close to a month ago.

Please post pics when you return.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I'm headed down the following weekend (28th-30th). I'd be very interested to hear about your conditions for either the squeeze or quandary. Last time down there we packed wet-suits but never had to use them. Have a good trip!

I don't know why I like it so much, but I do love the squeeze. It's long and hard enough that you feel like you did something, but easy enough that you never get worried. The water was cold enough that a wetsuit was nice, but a full 3mm bordered on overkill. The Muddy is pretty much dry at this point with stretches of no flow, but luckily where the squeeze exits to the Muddy there are some nice pools to wash off. And trust me, you will want to wash off. Several of the potholes look like crude oil and smell like dog $hit. It's all part of the fun for me, but one of our guys is a germ freak and he didn't have a great time. Of course, the rest of us mercilessly mocking him probably didn't help.

One thing to note is that there were a few suspect anchors set up on some of the early drops. We just left them in place and down-climbed instead, but in retrospect probably should have taken them out.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    And trust me, you will want to wash off. Several of the potholes look like crude oil and smell like dog $hit. It's all part of the fun for me, but one of our guys is a germ freak and he didn't have a great time. Of course, the rest of us mercilessly mocking him probably didn't help.
    Canyoneering is probably not the sport to be in if you're a germ freak, you stick with it long enough and you're bound to see something nasty. In Ticino last month one of our group tripped and put his hand out on what he thought was a rock under the surface until his hand sank up to his elbow in a rotting sheep carcass.

Crossing a pothole I stuck my foot through the carcass of a submerged elk. The smell that erupted was mind boggling and caused much gagging...

Climb-Utah.com

10. Likes nkanarik liked this post