Thread: [Trip report] - 48 mile loop on the Teton Crest Trail in Grand Teton National Park

[Trip report] - 48 mile loop on the Teton Crest Trail in Grand Teton National Park

Aug 24-27 I hiked a loop through Grand Teton National Park that included much of the Teton Crest Trail. This a bucket list hike for me because I have really wanted to backpack in the Tetons for several years! I finally convinced my wife to go to WY with me and backpack in the mountains...

We had a great hike for the first 3 days and were treated to some great scenery. On the 4th day, there was a snow storm and we were not able to over the Paintbrush Divide pass. The visibility was just too bad to attempt to make it over the pass. We ended up just leaving the park a day early because we were tired, wet, and cold. Overall we really enjoyed the hike though. We had great weather for the day we hiked over Hurricane Pass, which provides awesome views of the Tetons. If given the opportunity, I would totally do the hike again, though I would try to go in the first or second week of August to avoid snow.

The rough itinerary was as follows:

Day 1: Taggart Lake Trailhead to Lower Granite Canyon
    Day 2: Lower Granite Canyon to Death Canyon Shelf
    Day 3: Death Canyon Shelf to South Fork Cascade
    Day 4: South Fork Cascade to Lake Solitude and then back to Jenny Lake (aborted attempt to get over Paintbrush Divide)

I wrote up a full trip report with tons of pictures, maps, and other trail info. It can be found here: https://backpackersreview.wordpress....n-crest-trail/

Here are some pictures of a few highlights:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    That looks like a great trip'
    Any run ins with wildlife?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    That looks like a great trip'
    Any run ins with wildlife?
    We ran into some deer, both male and female moose, and a goat with small horns. We didn't see any bears, which was comforting (although I would have liked to see one at a distance)! At a couple of our campsites the deer just meandered right through our tents.

Great report! Bummer about the last day though, but I promise you had more fun than I did at work.

Thanks!

Absolutely beautiful. I hit your link and what you have there is outstanding. Now I'm all jacked up...next summer I'm going to do that hike. Maybe I can recruit a couple backpackers around here to join me.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Absolutely beautiful. I hit your link and what you have there is outstanding. Now I'm all jacked up...next summer I'm going to do that hike. Maybe I can recruit a couple backpackers around here to join me.
    Awesome - you will have a great time!