Thread: Kokanee Salmon are red at Causey Reservoir 2018

Kokanee Salmon are red at Causey Reservoir 2018

It's that time again. The Kokanee Salmon are spawning red at Causey Reservoir. It's a pretty cool thing to see, but PLEASE view responsibly.

(Shot today)
    DO NOT PICK THEM UP!
    DO NOT SCARE THEM FOR A PICTURE!
    DO NOT WALK UP THE STREAM BED (you'll step on the eggs)
    Please remember these are protected while spawning. If you see others running through the riverbed trying to catch them, PLEASE politely teach them they are protected and their eggs are in the stream bed, as we did tonight. Most people simply don't know this, so please be polite, and please police each other.
    I estimate you've got 2 more weeks to see them. Hiking: Skull Crack trail is 2.3 miles from South side of Causey. By water, go to the South East inlet.
    A sign at the trailhead would be very helpful regarding the protection of these Salmon, and at the inlet. If anybody knows how we could post these signs, it's worth the effort. Thanks
    (By the way, this shot was made with me standing on the dry bank, and my camera out on an extension pole)

2. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

5. Likes rockgremlin, oldno7 liked this post
    Doesn't Pineview have Kokanee too?

Where do the Pineview Kokanee spawn? I have a very enthusiastic teenage boy who would like to check it out.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Doesn't Pineview have Kokanee too?

Where do the Pineview Kokanee spawn? I have a very enthusiastic teenage boy who would like to check it out.
    No Kokanee in Pineview, maybe that's the Tiger Muskee you're thinking about. To be honest if everybody saw a picture of the 6 foot Tiger Muskees that have been pulled out of Pineview (and released back in) they would be thinking twice about swimming there.

The hike at Causey is worth it, only a couple of miles in and you can be there in 45 minutes.

Here's a tip I'll share with my boys on Bogley, most people go to the inlet and just look within the first couple hundred yards. You'll see a few here and there, some ones and twos, but if you want to see the good groups you need to get above the high water mark to where the bushes are on the river banks. Yesterday I saw a 15 foot section with over 100 red Kokanee crammed in there.

So when you see pictures of a red fish here, a red fish there, you'll know they gave up 40 feet too soon.

8. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    ...they would be thinking twice about swimming there.....

Not to mention the fact that the algal blooms have just recently blossomed on Pineview, so they're currently advising people to refrain from swimming in the lake.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Yeah strange, I don't remember the algae blooms at Pineview in past years. I wonder if it was because of the lower water level.

Mantua gets the algae quite often. They've got a permanent sign warning about Swimmers Itch. I've never had any problems though.