Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Coolers for the Outdoors

Best Coolers for the Outdoors

$100 and keeps ice for a week! Excited to try this for a fraction of the cost of a Yeti. Made right here in Utah! Which cooler do you use?

Amazon has them: https://amzn.to/2PjvxuO

Name:  IMG_3092.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3093 (2).jpg
Views: 636
Size:  81.1 KB

2. Likes DiscGo liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for this tip. I have never been able to stomach the price of the Yeti.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Thanks for this tip. I have never been able to stomach the price of the Yeti.
    Yeah, exactly.

You couldn't pay me to have a Yeti, as they are anti 2nd Amendment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...a-big-mistake/

A YETI is a product to keep things cool - but is not a political statement. A Jeep is a thing to look cool in - but is not a political statement. A water filled slot canyon is a thing to be cool in - it welcomes folks of all political affiliations.

My YETI does a great job, but I would have liked to buy a functionally equal product for less money, had it been possible at the time.

8. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Go to a safe space already

10. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    I really think there's no reason to spend more than $200 for a good cooler...unless you want to keep meat froze for a week. I favor the Coleman Extreme for my frequent road trips.

Thicker insulation. Also, this is probably the most important tip...keep it out of the sun and a moving blanket over it at all times (even in the vehicle) and the ice will last nearly a week in all but the hottest temps. I had a block keep for nearly two weeks with just a bag of crushed placed on top of it a few times back in March.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    A YETI is a product to keep things cool - but is not a political statement.
    WRONG! That stopped being true the minute Yeti made a political statement and began supporting anti 2nd Amendment groups.

13. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    A really good cooler is helpful to compensate for the increasing difficulty in finding block ice once on the road trip. We start the trip with home-made block ice (in plastic containers, so we can use the water)

There are definitely reasons to buy premium coolers that cost more than $200 but not to the level they have been marketed.

Ignore any manufacturer's claims and read field reviews. The Lifetime one is getting dinged pretty hard for warping and poor durability. It looks like the Ozark Trail one in stores, and if its made similar then expect it to be in the landfill with hard use.

Plenty of great coolers for around a $100 if you just need ice to keep things "cool" for 3-7 days.

If you need ice to be wicked cold for 7+ days in the middle of summer than premium roto molded still seems to be the way to go bu it takes work. These top end coolers just seem to hold up to abuse better: lids you can sit two people on and stand on (fishing, rafting, camp); better gaskets; tie down points that actually take tension without breaking; being filled with water and freezing food into cooler; etc. You can get 2-4 weeks out of a premium cooler if you have quality ice and disciplined use (shade, evaporative cooling with cover, only opening in stages or absolutely when needed, etc)

I have a Canyon cooler and its worth every penny but I also have several other cheaper ones for day or weekend trips that don't weigh 40+lbs.

Blog Entries
    That comparison chart isn’t quite honest.

You are comparing a 58 to a 45-quart container. You can put more ice in the bigger cooler, ergo, it will last longer.

Basic thermodynamics - the more ice you have the longer it stays cooler. So again, not a fair comparison.

They would all need to be the exact smart quart-size, with the same ice, and same refrigerated food/drinks to accurately explain which cooler, and their plastic materials is superior in providing an insulated housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I bought the Lifetime partly for the fact that I didn’t want to cave to the yuppy hipster cooler trend.

I have a hard and soft RTIC. Quality is great, and ice lasts a long time. They also regularly do 25% off deals, so mine were well under half the price of Yeti. https://www.rticcoolers.com/.

The soft side is perfect to throw in some ice and a 6-pack for a day fishing or tailgating, or to have waiting in the car after a long ride.

Not 100% sure of their stand on guns, but they do offer a camo version for Iceaxe.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    The soft side is perfect to throw in some ice and a 6-pack for a day fishing or tailgating
    A six pack!?! ROFLMAO

What a noob. Hell, my hot young stripper wife drinks a 6er all by herself on the drive over to the tailgate party.

Climb-Utah.com

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    A six pack!?! ROFLMAO

What a noob. Hell, my hot young stripper wife drinks a 6er all by herself on the drive over to the tailgate party.

Climb-Utah.com
    Do you think you'll win Prom King this year? Bang your hot cheerleader girlfriend in the bathroom afterwards? Go SLC Douche Canoes, I think y'all can make it to the big game this year.

We'll just have to live vicariously through your badass exploits, IceAxe.

21. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
    Do you think you'll win Prom King this year? Bang your hot cheerleader girlfriend in the bathroom afterwards?
    Been there, done that, got the crabs to prove it... LMAO

I'm just sorry I didn't realize until now that my hot cheerleader prom date was your little sister. I'm also sorry you had to stand against the wall without a date and drench yourself in jealousy. Or at least I would feel sorry if I were actually a good person.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Been there, done that, got the crabs to prove it... LMAO

I'm just sorry I didn't realize until now that my hot cheerleader prom date was your little sister. I'm also sorry you had to stand against the wall without a date and drench yourself in jealousy. Or at least I would feel sorry if I were actually a good person.

You are way too easy to troll. I must be on the wrong site because the IceAxe of legends doesn't dish out that sort of pathetic weaksauce. Or maybe he and his jokes just got old and decrepit.

Pretty cool what you did over there with McCain...setting the record straight. But you've puked on two dudes you really don't want to provoke. Might wanna tread a little more lightly if you want to live long around here.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Pretty cool what you did over there with McCain...setting the record straight. But you've puked on two dudes you really don't want to provoke. Might wanna tread a little more lightly if you want to live long around here.
    If you think I care about being banned then you aren't paying attention. Though it would be pretty hypocritical of the site. Especially given how much the house dog has crapped all over this place.

Not too concerned about Sombeach. He's neither witty or intelligent enough to compete. And I doubt IceAxe is ready to tap out given his behavior and reputation. If anything it will be a chance for him to up his tired old game.

26. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Nobody's gonna ban you. I've seen a few guys like you come and go.

You're not going to have much support and if you persist, you're going to get ganged up on.

Too soon, dude. You've got to cruise around the place before you can spew insults.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?