Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John McCain

John McCain

R.I.P. John McCain...

Climb-Utah.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm with you...I don't get the hero worship. He defined the word RINO.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Jeez, the drama never ends.

"A November to remember..."
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

I didn’t realize he spent 5 1/2 years in captivity.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I like guys who don't spend 5.5 years in captivity

Yeah he lived a pretty interesting life, politics aside.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    "He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured." - Donald Trump 2015

His father was an Admiral in the Navy. When McCain was captured, the NV were going to let him go because of this...but he refused because he didn't want his release to be used a "propaganda".

I think he had a bit of dookie for brains. Live to fight another day, y'know? He should have gotten out, climbed right back into an A6 or whatever he was flying and bombed the hell out them all over again.

Funny how they ridiculed him so much when he ran for Prez yet he became a liberal darling for giving Trump the middle finger. I didn't hear one word about his involvement in the SnL crisis...check out the "Keating Five". That cost us billions.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

9. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    His father was an Admiral in the Navy. When McCain was captured, the NV were going to let him go because of this...but he refused because he didn't want his release to be used a "propaganda".
    You don't have that quite right. The NVA were going to let McCain go home early AFTER the prisoner exchange agreement was signed with the US. This would have resulted in McCain arriving home a few days early ahead of the other prisoners. McCain refused this deal because of the propaganda issues and leaving the other prisoners behind. It's not like it would have saved McCain 5 years, it would have saved him a few days.

Nope, or "fake news" as you would call it.

McCain was offered early release in June 1968 because he followed and honored the US Code of Conduct. He was a POW until March 1973.

You can critique him for his policy as a Congressman but it cowardly and ridiculous to besmirch his service record with mistruths.

Citations can be found on his wikipedia page:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_...te-hub-451-138

Quote Originally Posted by powerplay View Post

McCain was offered early release in June 1968 because he followed and honored the US Code of Conduct. He was a POW until March 1973.

You can critique him for his policy as a Congressman but it cowardly and ridiculous to besmirch his service record with mistruths.

Quite the introductory first post.

Hmmm..."powerplay"...smells kinda like catfish.

And just like that, the Left like John McCain

Have anything more than AM radio talking points, Sombeech? Rhetorical question because after a year of lurking I haven't seen any original critical thinking in your posts.

The organized, political "left" is definitely exploiting McCain's tension with Trump. Its an easy political move with free ammunition that Trump loaded against himself. But the organized, political "right" is also stepping up to get McCain's back. I doubt either will do so for long as his death exits the news.

McCain's political service doesn't deserve to be lionized anymore than his military service deserves to be denounced by old internet trolls with misinformation. McCain was a complicated man but we don't tend to deal in nuance in this country when it comes to political conversations. "Both" sides tend to ignore inconvenient facts that conflict with their preferred political narrative. Death tends to exaggerate that reality to its limits.

15. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Rhetorical question because after a year of lurking I haven't seen any original critical thinking in your posts.
    That's the point.

I stand corrected... thanks :-)

I did find it interesting that he was following the military code of conduct. If he had of excepted the early release he could have been court martialed and recieved a dishonorable discharge.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/john...vietnam-2018-8

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

I did find it interesting that he was following the military code of conduct. If he had of excepted the early release he could have been court martialed and recieved a dishonorable discharge.

No worries and appreciate willingness to be corrected. POWs, at a minimum, deserve honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    That's the point.
    Uh huh.

Sometimes the contents of the book can be accurately judged by the cover.

Have anything more than AM radio talking points, Sombeech? Rhetorical question because after a year of lurking I haven't seen any original critical thinking in your posts.

The organized, political "left" is definitely exploiting McCain's tension with Trump. Its an easy political move with free ammunition that Trump loaded against himself. But the organized, political "right" is also stepping up to get McCain's back. I doubt either will do so for long as his death exits the news.

McCain's political service doesn't deserve to be lionized anymore than his military service deserves to be denounced by old internet trolls with misinformation. McCain was a complicated man but we don't tend to deal in nuance in this country when it comes to political conversations. "Both" sides tend to ignore inconvenient facts that conflict with their preferred political narrative. Death tends to exaggerate that reality to its limits.

Breaking silence by calling bullshit on two prominent forum members.

I really hope this guy sticks around. Things just got a little more interesting.

21. Likes jman liked this post
    Uh huh.

Sometimes the contents of the book can be accurately judged by the cover.
    Thank you for the compliment. The contents of the book are incredibly good looking.

If you are looking to me for quality political insight, I've got some bad news for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

You do seem hellbent on finding a negative to his POW status and choices in those five + years. I am curious if you challenge all POWs that way? Is it cathartic to point out some detail like the above?

There is a reason the country developed the US Code of Conduct and specific training for evasion and capture. What American soldiers faced in the mid-20th century was a highly skilled means of torture, information extraction and propoganda designed to use the captured soldier's sense of survival against them. Vaguely arguing those who succeeded at adhering to the code did so to just avoid legal repercussions flies directly in the face of the courage and honor it takes to deal with years of coordinated torture at the hands of a foreign government.