Thread: Drone Shot of Cannibal Roller Coaster at Lagoon

Drone Shot of Cannibal Roller Coaster at Lagoon

So I decided to fly my drone and get a close up look at Cannibal at Lagoon today, now I just need to figure out if it's legal before I share it everywhere

I think I'll try tomorrow to get some better shots. Today I figured that I'd better stop at 3 shots, because by then, the first car would have reached the bottom and would be asking the ride attendants where to see the drone pictures, and I didn't want them to panic and shut down the whole ride because they saw a drone

I'm absolutely certain that it was legal, but people are still free to make judgement and assume it's not, and cause a big stir. Well, that will only cause the clicks to increase I didn't physically enter the park, as they do not own the air, I didn't touch any of their property, I stayed below the 400' max height, I wasn't flying over people, and I wasn't disturbing any wildlife.

Look at this kid, savage. He's the only one not showing fear on the drop LOL.

Name:  savage.jpg
Views: 2909
Size:  155.8 KB

2. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries

Drone Shot of Cannibal Roller Coaster at Lagoon

That’s funny, I’ve thought about the exact same thing too.

The thing that held me back from doing it is I didn’t want to inspire young young drone pilots from doing the same thing but then actually crashing it accidentally or hitting the ride, etc.

You are right, it is all legal as long as you didn’t land or take off from their property.

Further, I could see legislation (or the FAA steps in) later on and puts a No-Fly zone over all amusement parks across the nation. Wouldn’t be surprised one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

5. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Yeah it's a tough choice, one benefit from controversy is that it drives the popularity of the content upwards. But it also spawns a countless amount of copycats, hoping to stand out in their own way. Some of these would be dangerous, pushing the limits to get them clicks.

I am thinking I'll post a disclaimer, first explaining that at the time, this shot is legal, but also very risky. If a mishap causes an injury by falling on somebody, I'd get sued. But if it were Lagoon suing on behalf of the injured party, I'd be super screwed. So it's a risk for sure.

If I were to crash, even if nobody saw it, I don't think I would dare to contact Lagoon Mgmt to retrieve my drone. I wouldn't want anybody to know it was mine. They would probably find out via the SD card, or something stupid, and I could get in super trouble.

But this is all if the drone had a problem and fell from the sky. I've been fortunate with this one.

Another option is, I get great shots, and I contact Lagoon to show them, asking for forgiveness rather than permission. Then the rules get made and posted, no drones allowed, and I am able to post my footage along with the warning that it's not allowed anymore, and I'd have the EXCLUSIVE drone footage of Cannibal. There are others during construction, but I haven't found any with riders yet.

So, I'm looking at shooting again tomorrow, getting some better shots. We'll see what I can get.

Smile and wave at the dronecam, LOL.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Blog Entries
    All good thoughts.

I would contact Lagoon, maybe even ask to do a drone video for them?, and see what they think of the vid before you publish it on FB and Instagram.

●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I think I'm going to reach out to Lagoon and ask if they are interested in my services. Then I'll figure out a way to mention that I may or may not have already shot some footage for them.

I've learned that asking for permission is bad. It's better to take the risk, ask for forgiveness, and offer a gift of my footage to show good will.

I want to see drone footage of a flight through the loops on Cannibal - and possibly the ones on Colossus as well. Also -- I want to see what's on top of the large hoist building at the beginning of Cannibal.

I'll bet Lagoon might be receptive of your requests since I doubt anybody has ever approached them about this before.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    I'll bet Lagoon might be receptive of your requests since I doubt anybody has ever approached them about this before.
    In April of this year, I asked Lagoon (rather, sent an email) about recording a few drone shots for them and I never got a reply back...

I’m sure they have talked about drones in meetings. Certainly we can’t be the first ones to record or ask about it...

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Also -- I want to see what's on top of the large hoist building at the beginning of Cannibal.
    It's just a roof. None of the equipment is visible from outside the building. I used to work for the company that designed the cladding and secondary structure for that building. Everything is pretty well hidden.

13. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

15. Likes accadacca, Sombeech, rockgremlin liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    That’s exactly what will happen...lol

I can see Mr. Freed doing that himself to Justin’s drone. Haha

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo View Post
    It's just a roof. None of the equipment is visible from outside the building. I used to work for the company that designed the cladding and secondary structure for that building. Everything is pretty well hidden.
    Peterson? My brother says he designed part of the tower for Cannibal.

Here's my strategy, and I have heard back from Lagoon about it. I'm drafting up a reply now, but it will all be kind of screwed if Lagoon sees this thread first LOL. Here's how I contacted them:

Hi, have you contracted with anybody for aerial photos and videos of the park and rides?

I would like to introduce myself, I am an FAA licensed and certified drone pilot in Northern Utah. Here is a sample of my work:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj8vnPi6_eU

You also may have seen my work featured by Good Morning America, 3 different times, and also by each of the Utah news stations multiple times. One example is my Fall Colors in Farmington Canyon video, with a couple million views:
    https://www.facebook.com/abc4utah/vi...4206255819160/

Another popular video this year was my Ice Skater at Pineview Reservoir.
    https://youtu.be/j5Ty7yCrfa0

I would love to get some great shots for you. Please let me know if you're interested, I'm right over here at Station Park so I would be available most days, all day long.

Thanks!

Then I received a reply already:

Hello Justin,

Thank you for your message and your interest in Lagoon.

Yes, we have worked with drone operators and have aerial video footage and still photos of the park. Any video/photo capture by UAVs has been done while the park is closed to the public.

Because Lagoon is private property and an amusement park, drone operation is prohibited without written permission from the Director of Safety and Security.

Regards,

Just a reminder, it is completely legal to launch from outside an area, even a National Park, and to fly in and over the park. It doesn't mean it's a SMART idea, but it is legal. They don't own the air. Now if a police officer catches me doing it, even though I'm legally ok, there could still be a dispute and I get my drone taken from me for 6 months and I fight like hell to finally prove that I'm right. I'd rather avoid the whole confrontation. It's like a pedestrian in a crosswalk. Even though you've got the right of way, you don't want to run out in the crosswalk without looking. You'll be right, but you'll also have 2 broken legs, and the driver would just have a ticket and would be walking in the park the next day.

My next move is to somehow apologize for already flying above the park, and that I won't do it anymore without permission. At the same time, I'll offer my footage to them for free, for promotional use or whatever they wish to do with it, as a gesture of good will. Honestly, people pay thousands for these types of shots.

But before I reply and apologize and say I won't do it again, I really, REALLY want to get just 1 more shot, this time of the top of the Wicked coaster, a side profile shot and then a front shot seeing the cart crest over with the terrified passengers. So I need to get in all of my shots before I say I won't do it again And yes, I've scoped it out, my office window has a clear line of sight directly at it. I would fly above concrete, no people would be in danger below. No matter what rules you keep or break, always put the safety of people first. You can really hurt somebody with these things if it goes wrong.

I just might have to reply next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Peterson? My brother says he designed part of the tower for Cannibal.
    No. GEM Buildings in Brigham. Peterson did the main structure and GEM designed all of the framing that went in between their stuff to hold the walls and roof on as well as the wall and roof panels and trims.

GEM also did the building for Wicked.

I didn't personally work on either of them, but I remember seeing the plans and hearing about them and what they were doing for them.