Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Away From it All...

Getting Away From it All...

Over the weekend, we loaded up the fam and drove up to the Uintahs just past Kamas. Exited the main road onto some dirt Forest Service road that drives past several small lakes en route to Trial Lake and Washington Lake.

We started with high hopes of probably seeing a few people here and there, but what we got instead was a very frustrating and disappointing experience. People....EVERYWHERE. With their dogs, ATVs, Side-by-Sides, boats, monster trucks, campers, RVs....and it wasn't even a holiday weekend! Everywhere we turned there was somebody there. And as far as fishing anywhere near the Mirror Lake Loop -- forget it. May as well be fishing at the community fishing pond. We would've seen less people if we'd have just went down to Sugarhouse Park. WTF?

I don't think I'll ever revisit that stretch of road again. It's gotten way too crowded. Way too popular. It's really kind of sad in a way. I grew up camping out there with my dad. Now it's just another destination sticker on the back of someone's RV.

So the question is...is it still possible to get away from it all, so to speak? And if so, where do you go to fulfill that? I'm all ears. I'm all PMs too if you wanna keep it secret.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The desert.....many, many places that are still unscathed. Oh, and it helps to leave the car parked and then go away with your pack. In the Uintas, I'd recommend anything over 10 miles from a road. Most people want to backpack somewhere less than 10 miles from the car. More than that really thins the crowds.
    Life is Good

4. Likes accadacca, rockgremlin liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Over the weekend, we loaded up the fam and drove up to the Uintahs just past Kamas. Exited the main road onto some dirt Forest Service road that drives past several small lakes en route to Trial Lake and Washington Lake.

We started with high hopes of probably seeing a few people here and there, but what we got instead was a very frustrating and disappointing experience. People....EVERYWHERE. With their dogs, ATVs, Side-by-Sides, boats, monster trucks, campers, RVs....and it wasn't even a holiday weekend! Everywhere we turned there was somebody there. And as far as fishing anywhere near the Mirror Lake Loop -- forget it. May as well be fishing at the community fishing pond. We would've seen less people if we'd have just went down to Sugarhouse Park. WTF?

I don't think I'll ever revisit that stretch of road again. It's gotten way too crowded. Way too popular. It's really kind of sad in a way. I grew up camping out there with my dad. Now it's just another destination sticker on the back of someone's RV.

So the question is...is it still possible to get away from it all, so to speak? And if so, where do you go to fulfill that? I'm all ears. I'm all PMs too if you wanna keep it secret.
    Here is an actual pic of the crowds at Mirror Lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

6. Likes devo_stevo, rockgremlin liked this post
    Yup... got to get away from the car. Fat people don't venture far from the road. Last time I checked just over 70% of the American population is either overweight or obese and unable to waddle any great distance.

I'm a backpacker, so I agree with Scott that if you want solitude, you can still get it. In a month I'll be at Zion, which is like a circus, then a backpack off the North Rim of the Grand Canyon where we're unlikely to see another human being for 6 days. Then onto Cedar Mesa for a week. A nice mix.

However, it is distressing to see SO many more people around. Places that I used to get to and camp at late at night are all gobbled up. Now it's picking spots a bit further down another road. When the day comes that you can't find a decent spot down the HRR, then it'll get depressing. If it keeps going like this, I think that day will actually come.

People have been venturing out into the country forever...but it seems to me that it really started to light up in the middle of the 90s.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Getting Away From it All...

Mirror Lake area on a summer weekend? Near the highway? What the hell did you expect? Go up there during the week and you won’t have that problem. Totally agree on the backpack comment. Load up the kids and wife and hike to Wall or Long Lake or any above them. The herd gets trimmed substantially for every mile you hike.

The Salt Lake Valley in general though is getting SUPER crowded. They can’t build houses fast enough for these skinny jean California tech nerds and hipsters to move in.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.

Got a boat I'll sell ya and some top secret info included in the price...
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

11. Likes rockgremlin, twotimer liked this post
    Now that's friggin funny!
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

29 years ago I bought 80 acres of Recreation property, never worry about the crowds.

When I want to be irritated I'll join the masses at name your place. I will second the motion that mid week is better than weekends.

Any hope you have of recreating within 2 hours of the Wasatch front by yourself is a pipe dream.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Got a boat I'll sell ya and some top secret info included in the price...
    https://youtu.be/SUqKUQhJ6sk

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    You went the wrong way. Want to get away from folks, head South and West. Blue Lake near Wendover, mostly 100% devoid of humans. Head toward Circleville (HWY89 South) or Koosharem or Otter Creek.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

I try to be patient and wait until public school is back in session. The hordes disappear. Even in the evenings up our local canyons. It's like a light switch has been turned off.
    Are we there yet?

How was the smoke up there?

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    How was the smoke up there?
    It was still in the air. Not quite as bad as down in SL valley, but still present. I was surprised that it wasn't thicker, considering the Coal Hollow fire is just south of there.

The San Rafael Swell is desolate this time of year :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The San Rafael Swell is desolate this time of year :-)
    I agree -- and that's one of the reasons why I love that place so much. But unfortunately the fishing isn't too great anywhere in the Swell.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    ...Here is an actual pic of the crowds at Mirror Lake....
    (My heavy snip of jman's post)

Despite the UK being more densely populated than the US, here's our Mirror Lake: No crowds.

22. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    So, yesterday we decided to give fishing at Willard Bay a try.....Big mistake.

We drove out to the southwest corner of the Willard causeway at dusk. There was nobody around for miles. Once we stepped out of our car we discovered why there was nobody out there. The mosquito populations out there are legendary. Like Biblical-plague-type swarms of mosquitoes in all directions. It was so bad you could hear a constant low buzz in the air. In denial, we somehow managed to make the short walk from our car to the top of the causeway to get a look at the water. In that 5 minutes we were surrounded by a frantic buzzing swarm that was so thick that it was hard not to get them in your nose just from breathing. I've scarcely seen anything like it. Did the mosquito abatement efforts get their budget cut or something?

So, yesterday we decided to give fishing at Willard Bay a try.....Big mistake.

We drove out to the southwest corner of the Willard causeway at dusk. There was nobody around for miles. Once we stepped out of our car we discovered why there was nobody out there. The mosquito populations out there are legendary. Like Biblical-plague-type swarms of mosquitoes in all directions. It was so bad you could hear a constant low buzz in the air. In denial, we somehow managed to make the short walk from our car to the top of the causeway to get a look at the water. In that 5 minutes we were surrounded by a frantic buzzing swarm that was so thick that it was hard not to get them in your nose just from breathing. I've scarcely seen anything like it. Did the mosquito abatement efforts get their budget cut or something?
    It's always been that way anywhere around the shore of Great Salt Lake. The minute the sun goes down the mosquito's attach in squadron strength. You probably couldn't have arrive at a worse time if you had of tried.

"NOTICE: Recently, health officials discovered that mosquito samples from Willard Bay State Park North Marina have tested positive for West Nile Virus. Enjoy your time outside, but remember to take proper precautions when recreating in the area. Wear long sleeve shirts and pants and use mosquito repellent with DEET or Picaridin."

Are you sure they weren't nats? That's what I see the most out there. Noisy, irritating but they don't bite.

26. Likes rockgremlin liked this post

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum