Thread: 7/22/2018 - A dry Pleiades

Blog Entries

7/22/2018 - A dry Pleiades

I did a quick solo trip through Pleiades on Sunday afternoon and it was dry the entire canyon through!

I’ve done it in October a few years back and even then it had a flow...

The 25% of average snowpack this winter definitely took a hit on Pleiades.

Otherwise it was just...meh.

However, where the large log is at the end, the spring there that is forming Brumley Creek is still flowing decently.

Other than that, kind of a let down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for the report my buddies going through today and he was hoping for water guess that's not going to happen.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4. Likes jman liked this post
    Blog Entries

7/22/2018 - A dry Pleiades

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Thanks for the report my buddies going through today and he was hoping for water guess that's not going to happen.

My guess is that it stopped flowing weeks ago too considering how dry the ground was in the shade of the canyon.

It would have been fun to know when it stopped flowing for trending purposes though...

Also, tell him to bring a chainsaw to remove the two fallen trees between R1 and R2

●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

That sure is different from when our group only made it through half of the canyon in June 2016 when the snow pack had been unreal high that winter. What I learned is that if Mill Cr is running at 48 CFS, Brumley is going to be insane. Mill Creek at about 20 CFS is my goal in the future. I've done it when Mill Creek was at 8 CFS and Pleiades was pretty good, but we all hoped for a little more flow.

7. Likes jman liked this post
    They went to zero g. Said about 3/4 full.

9. Likes darhawk, jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I did a quick solo trip through Pleiades on Sunday afternoon and it was dry the entire canyon through!
    Jman, did you happen to notice if the softball sized wasp nest is still at the entrance rappel?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Jman, did you happen to notice if the softball sized wasp nest is still at the entrance rappel?
    Yes, I looked at the candition before mine actually and saw the report and specifically looked for one on my visit.

No sign of it anywhere there. There was about people 15 (and more, if people didn’t sign in at the register) between the previous day and when I went so it’s possible that one of them removed it, destroyed it, etc.

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

12. Likes ScottM liked this post
    Name:  hive.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  217.6 KB

I got tagged by one while approaching the webbing. Not advocating that someone should have removed it, but good to hear that its no longer a threat to [unknowing] others.

14. Likes jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Name:  hive.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  217.6 KB

I got tagged by one while approaching the webbing. Not advocating that someone should have removed it, but good to hear that its no longer a threat to [unknowing] others.
    Pretty impressive size! Yea, that def was not there when I went through.

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    My guess is that it stopped flowing weeks ago too considering how dry the ground was in the shade of the canyon.

It would have been fun to know when it stopped flowing for trending purposes though...
    I know it was dry on June 20, except for some large blocks of melting ice. I'd previously seen a facebook post from June 4 saying it was "dry as a bone and still half full of ice columns"