Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laptop recommendations

laptop recommendations

Alright computer nerds, I need a little help. I need to buy a new laptop. Here is a little background. I currently have a Macbook Pro. I have had it for a long time. I HATE computer problems. I am a computard - meaning I know next to nothing about computers although I use a computer/laptop A LOT. I have really appreciated the reliability of my Mac, yet I despise the Apple Fanboi attitude. I truly have had never a hiccup with my Mac and I have never anxiously waited in line for an apple product and never will. I have an iPad, a PC at work, a Samsung phone, and a Macbook. (Do I need counseling?) As you can see, I am not brand loyal nor do I need to sync everything. I mostly use my Laptop for documents, presentations, email, and general business stuff when I am at home or on the road. (And just 'cause I know you care, I use my phone mostly as a phone ) I want to do photo and video editing but haven't a clue how to and right now I don't have the time to learn. My priorities are reliability, ease of use, and memory.

Okay Bogley-ites, I'm counting on you for good advice.
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I was listening to Leo the Tech guy on the radio and he was talking about Apple laptops. He says they've really done nothing to improve on them for several years and suspects they won't see any major innovations for at least two more. He thinks Apple is working on their own processors to replace Intel.

He's a pretty sharp guy with this stuff. If you go to his website, listen to his broadcast from July 8th towards the end of his show to hear what I heard. Pretty interesting.

With that said, I'd personally buy another Apple. Forget the fanboi nonsense, buy what you're accustomed to. I wouldn't want anything but Apple because I don't have to worry about security...I always had to update security with other devices...and I worried about it. I really do feel that Apple is on it with security.

I'm a computard too, but I ditched the Dell w/ windows and got this Mac in October and now I have the Apple OS pretty wired.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

I don't mind the windows platform and ease of finding solutions and needs apps for whatever is needed. I don't like getting caught up in the Apple mindframe because it seems like once youre in, you can't ever get back out.

We are running probably 10 laptops right now.

Toshiba, ASUS, HP, Lenovo. I think are our current models.

My personal is an ASUS. HP & Dell is probably my least favorite.

I don't think the laptop brand has as much to do with the performance or quality as for the inside components which is hard to give advice on.

I always lean towards more RAM and a new and faster processor to help keep the speeds up

5. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    In addition to RAM, I'd personally spring for one with a SSD rather than a traditional hard drive. It'll be MUCH faster and more responsive that way and it makes life easier.

Also, if you're going to do any video editing, I'd look for one with a separate graphics processor, rather than relying on the integrated Intel graphics.

I won't speak to the Apple vs Windows thing. That's up to you and really just depends on what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    I don't mind the windows platform and ease of finding solutions and needs apps for whatever is needed. I don't like getting caught up in the Apple mindframe because it seems like once youre in, you can't ever get back out.

We are running probably 10 laptops right now.

Toshiba, ASUS, HP, Lenovo. I think are our current models.

My personal is an ASUS. HP & Dell is probably my least favorite.

I don't think the laptop brand has as much to do with the performance or quality as for the inside components which is hard to give advice on.

I always lean towards more RAM and a new and faster processor to help keep the speeds up

Concur on all of this. I also strongly endorse the ASUS model.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

So, @twotimer and I are on the same page with security. Microsoft does not provide security updates like Apple does, correct? That is perhaps the one thing I have really appreciated about my Mac. It has been worry free. It is kind of like the bumper to bumper warranty thing with a car for a person who doesn't know how to fix a car. I don't know a good virus scanner from a bad one and barely know how to install it.

I've also heard very good things about ASUS. Decisions, decisions.....

Thanks to everyone so far for the advice.
    Life is Good

My wife has a Macbook Air. I like how the Macs turn on instantly when you open them up. Other than that, Also, the thing is built well and it seems to be lasting a lot longer than all of the other laptops I've bought over the years.

That being said, I bought a Dell XPS 15 last year for work, and it's great. Good battery life and it's plenty speedy and powerful.

None of that helps. Just my observations.

Security is paramount to me. Apple is a no brainer. I hated updating and dealing with the third party anti-virus, spam, malware, etc...that you have to load on Windows, having to eyeball it...making sure everything is doing what it's supposed to.

I don't have to spend one second on security.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    So, @twotimer and I are on the same page with security. Microsoft does not provide security updates like Apple does, correct? That is perhaps the one thing I have really appreciated about my Mac. It has been worry free. It is kind of like the bumper to bumper warranty thing with a car for a person who doesn't know how to fix a car. I don't know a good virus scanner from a bad one and barely know how to install it.

I've also heard very good things about ASUS. Decisions, decisions.....

Thanks to everyone so far for the advice.
    I have had a Lenovo Yoga Pro (900 series?) for the past few years at work. Rock solid and bullet proof. MS pushes updates on a regular basis and I have never had a virus, or any other issue since I got it in 2015 - Apple doesn't have a corner on reliability anymore. I like it so much that I bought the wife one for personal use. It is about 2 lbs and about a half inch thick... great piece of equipment.

My son has had the Macbook pro for a few years and loved it. My Boss had the same Lenovo as mine (we bought the pair at the same time). So the son's macbook finally took a shit and he found himself with only his desktop. My Boss was looking for a different laptop so he gave the boy his Lenovo about 6 months ago. He was over a couple of weeks ago and remarked how much he likes the Lenovo now, if he's not editing film where he needs more power. The size and weight is really nice. It's his go to unit for non editing work.

Has an ASUS for a few years and liked it also... though that was 5 years back.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Security is paramount to me. Apple is a no brainer. I hated updating and dealing with the third party anti-virus, spam, malware, etc...that you have to load on Windows, having to eyeball it...making sure everything is doing what it's supposed to.

I don't have to spend one second on security.

False. Mac's are just as prone to malware as Windows based platforms.

https://www.itgovernance.co.uk/blog/...-than-windows/

Today, I use a combination of Dell laptops running Windows 10, a MacBook Pro and an Asus Chromebook. I find myself more often on the Dell or Chromebook and not so much on the Mac, but personal preference and knowledge on the platform should drive the decision making.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

laptop recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    ...but personal preference and knowledge on the platform should drive the decision making.
    Agree with this. Unless there is a compelling reason to change, why force yourself to learn a new operating system.

I like Mac’s and have been using them exclusively for 13 years. The Apple products work so well together (obviously) that I find it easy to use them together in my home. For me they are just easy and work well. Occasionally someone will need help on a Windows machine and it takes me a while to figure it out. I’m a computard on Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Agree with this. Unless there is a compelling reason to change, why force yourself to learn a new operating system.

I like Mac’s and have been using them exclusively for 13 years. The Apple products work so well together (obviously) that I find it easy to use them together in my home.

Once your in financially and emotionally your stuck

15. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Once your in financially and emotionally your stuck
    It's all good until you have the Apple Anal Probe (tm) inserted.

LMAO

Personally you couldn't pay me enough to ever reenter Apple's locked garden. 10 years after purchasing my only Apple product I'm still unwinding myself from the Apple locked garden.

My thought is if you go Apple you need to go all in on all your electronic devices like Acca does.

YMMV

17. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    It's all good until you have the Apple Anal Probe (tm) inserted.

LMAO

Personally you couldn't pay me enough to ever reenter Apple's locked garden. 10 years after purchasing my only Apple product I'm still unwinding myself from the Apple locked garden.

My thought is if you go Apple you need to go all in on all your electronic devices like Acca does.

YMMV

Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

YMMV
    This is what scares me. I don't want to do that.
    Life is Good

HAHAHA!

Embrace and follow the light.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    ....follow the light.

...at the end of the tunnel?

Than I think you answered your own question about what OS to buy.

More thoughts regarding Apple...

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo View Post
    More thoughts regarding Apple...
    how is this video helpful to folks like scott card?