Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court Justice

The DNC is in too much disarray at the national level to throw anyone on the alter. The RNC was there not too long ago and will be there again once they survive Trump. Both parties are long overdue for restructuring and have been showing signs of organizational fatigue for a while.

Trump a pragmatist? I disagree. I think he's an opportunist who values the image of power, success and the relevant legacies of those attributes. I think whoever ran his campaign and continues to do so is the strategist who recognized he was a vehicle for policy. He has to throw around enough red meat to satisfy his very diverse and honestly discordant bases. I mean there are folks like you who recognized he was a means to end regarding SCOTUS nominations and the plethora of other lower court seats. There were those after a sense of catharsis of blowing the entire administrative state up. There were those who compromised knowing he was the only right of center choice in the general election. There were die hards fans. And there were undoubtedly those along the spectrum of entho-nationalist to full on white supremacists who heard the dog whistles someone in Trump's campaign knowingly placed. To just name a few. That's not an easy "base" to consistently appease and takes the concept of "big tent" politics to an extreme.

But at the end of the day I think Trump is just in it for himself, and likely setting Ivanka up for a future run. I think its obvious someone is trying to manage a political legacy like the Clinton's and Bush's of years past, whether its actually The Donald or his handlers is tough to diagnose.

2. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
    But at the end of the day I think Trump is just in it for himself, and likely setting Ivanka up for a future run. I think its obvious someone is trying to manage a political legacy like the Clinton's and Bush's of years past, whether its actually The Donald or his handlers is tough to diagnose.
    At the end of the day I couldn't really give a shit why Trump is in it, so long as my lot in life greatly improves I'm all in. To date I've made a small fortune off of what Trump is doing, I'm in the steel industry and I've made more in the past 12 month's then I did in 8 years total under Obama, and this year is setting up to be our best in the past 20 years. And to top it off I'm only going to be taxed at 20% on the first $315,000 I make this year.... To Nancy Pelosi... Crumb's my ass....

So anyhoo.... you can see why I'd be extremely reluctant to vote against anything that is happening right now... That's my current lot in life, if you can improve yours going in a different direction I certainly won't fault you for it.

YMMV

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Am I just naive in thinking that the notion of Roe v Wade ever being reversed is fallacy? I always thought that pretty much everybody had come to accept the legality of abortion in the U.S. -- many folks may not like it, but it was always unquestionably here to stay.

Personally, I think all of this panic about Trump's newest SCOTUS picks overturning Roe v Wade is a gross overreaction. I don't see much evidence of that actually becoming a reality. If I'm way off base someone please enlighten me.
    " I am not sure that all legal scholars refer to Roe as the settled law of the land at the Supreme Court level since Court can always overrule its precedent, and three current Justices on the Court would do so"

Kavanaugh via email during Bush Years

I wonder how the Senate will respond to Booker releasing committee classified (ie not traditionally classified) documents:

https://twitter.com/civilrightsorg/s...17473729175552

I wonder how the Senate will respond to Booker releasing committee classified (ie not traditionally classified) documents:
    Under the speach and debate clause of the constitution a Senater can release whatever they want. And just because a staff member marks a document classified doesn't make it so.

If this is all the Democrats have got I'd like to be the first to welcome Kavanaugh to SCOTUS.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Under the speach and debate clause of the constitution a Senater can release whatever they want. And just because a staff member marks a document classified doesn't make it so.

If this is all the Democrats have got I'd like to be the first to welcome Kavanaugh to SCOTUS.
    I don't know anyone who is doubting he will be nominated. The RNC made that a sure thing by rushing it before the midterms.

But the clause you cite only deals with arrest/prosecution (how does an alleged liberal know the Constitution better than you?). Norms/rules of Senate allow for discipline and possibly expulsion:

“Any Senator, officer or employee of the Senate who shall disclose the secret or confidential business or proceedings of the Senate, including the business and proceedings of the committees, subcommittees and offices of the Senate shall be liable, if a Senator, to suffer expulsion from the body; and if an officer or employee, to dismissal from the service of the Senate, and to punishment for contempt.”
    I doubt the Senate will invoke the worst consequences but it will be interesting to watch. They called him out for showboating already which might be enough.

And it wasn't a "staff member" that marked it "confidential" but an internal Senate process for the hearing run by the Senators themselves.

With roughly two months before midterms the democrats are using this to rally their base. "Interim" racial profiling and a clear statement about the ability to "overturn" Roe v Wade will definitely rally folks to the polls.

this booker deal reminds me exactly of harry reid going nuclear.

thats worked out well for the dems.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    this booker deal reminds me exactly of harry reid going nuclear.

thats worked out well for the dems.
    I can see that possibility. These decisions cut both ways.

Nice gloss over the Repubs taking the Garland debacle to the next level. Hard to tell who is the pot or kettle in the ashes of Congressional norms.

I can see that possibility. These decisions cut both ways.

Nice gloss over the Repubs taking the Garland debacle to the next level. Hard to tell who is the pot or kettle in the ashes of Congressional norms.
    Some of us are fighting against political norms, some of you are fighting to keep them.

You may have missed my post where I stated--DC is so inbred I can hear the banjo player from here,

lots of pots and kettles, they need to be tossed out and bring in some air fryers.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Term Limits!!!

Most of these old gators are more worried about their place in the swamp than in doing what's right for the citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Some of us are fighting against political norms, some of you are fighting to keep them.

You may have missed my post where I stated--DC is so inbred I can hear the banjo player from here,

lots of pots and kettles, they need to be tossed out and bring in some air fryers.
    I get you want to be a molotov cocktail to the system at any cost. Sounds really simily to the politicians you rage against actually.

My "Congressional Norms" are rooted in Constitutional/Libertarian views regarding governance not politics. Yours appear to be about "draining the swamp" by flooding it with more salt water and swamp creatures. You are the dysfunction and "politics as normal".

I wonder when diehard MAGA fans will realize every campaign slogan, tweet, etc is designed to manipulate them? Its like the cricket that doesn't know, at least not until its head explodes, its lost control to the horsehair worm. Its the life cycle of the swamp creature.

Trump is a brand and every brand needs its obedient fanatics.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Term Limits!!!

Most of these old gators are more worried about their place in the swamp than in doing what's right for the citizens.
    Could theoretically help. But just look at every 2nd term POTUS to see the downside. At least the fear of elections creates some semblance of representation. The plutocrats and kleptocrats won't be stopped by term limits. They have the money and numbers/networking to protect their own.

The quote might be fabricated but it seems true: "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others".

(Before someone rage comments, I know we are a democratic republic. )

I wonder when diehard MAGA fans will realize every campaign slogan, tweet, etc is designed to manipulate them?
    And the downside is...?

So you know you are a clueless tool?

I mean I got you to copy and paste a comment claiming you held someone else's junk during your circle jerks so I guess I shouldn't be shocked.

I'm seeing no downside to my MAGA brainwashing yet. Sorry you're upset.

19. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    my MAGA brainwashing.
    Actually I think I'll just leave that there.

Where did I say I was upset?
    Bummer, you fell right into that one. Now I'm legit sorry you're upset.

Well done on capture.

Still not upset, just wanted a different strategy. My bad. One point for you.

So you know you are a clueless tool?

I mean I got you to copy and paste a comment claiming you held someone else's junk during your circle jerks so I guess I shouldn't be shocked.
    Is this your idea of intellectual banter? This is pathetic and disgusting. Any respect I may have had for your arguments is gone.
    Life is Good