Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court Justice

Climb-Utah.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

And Trump's next nominee is.....

You'd think Barrett. He might name his nominee before the election, but ask for her to not be considered until after.

The near perfect parallel to Scalia's vacancy would make this very hard to sell to independents. There's still an election to win and Senate seats to defend.

Add: McConnell said there'd be a vote. That's a perfect setup for Trump to say no, let the people decide. Had to have been coordination on this.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Getting a new justice installed, prior to election, is tantamount and likely even more important than the election.

WWTD?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Man--I wish there were 53 Republicans in the Senate.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

7. Likes erial, Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by dougrz View Post
    You'd think Barrett. He might name his nominee before the election, but ask for her to not be considered until after.

The near perfect parallel to Scalia's vacancy would make this very hard to sell to independents. There's still an election to win and Senate seats to defend.

Add: McConnell said there'd be a vote. That's a perfect setup for Trump to say no, let the people decide. Had to have been coordination on this.
    Well of course there's coordination. She's been on her deathbed for two months and although they've keep her true condition a secret to Joe Public, those in DC knew it was coming and certainly had a plan.

I reckon they had a date set to pull it off or not...wether that date came and went remains to be seen. One thing is for sure, if they're going to make the move, they'll make it quick. The wheels will be set in motion before the middle of the week. Lots of phone calls goin' on this weekend.

If that freak Romney had any brains, he'd go along with the program.

Funny thing about that old lady...we've been wondering for years when she'd fade out, and her timing couldn't be better...leaving both sides standing there going "Oh shit"!

Oh, the irony. Y'now? It figures.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

9. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    McConnell is already counting votes... if he thinks he has the votes he'll pull the trigger... if not they will spin it to Trumps advantage with an "it's the fair thing to do" message.

Remember there is actually plenty of time as the election decides future Senators and those in power don't lose their seats until January 3rd.

I'm sure the GOP knew this was coming, which is why Trump released new names to his SCOTUS list last week.

I think this really helps Trump, as I know many who voted for him last time just because of the SCOTUS vacancy.

.@GOP We were put in this position of power and importance to make decisions for the people who so proudly elected us, the most important of which has long been considered to be the selection of United States Supreme Court Justices. We have this obligation, without delay!
    Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 19, 2020
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Sounds like a go ahead from Trump?

This is a good test of what the left will do on election night if they lose. If we see street fighting and riots over this appointment, it bodes for more.

My guess is? There will be some. And the more the better for our side. Bring it on.

14. Likes rockgremlin, oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    McConnell is already counting votes... if he thinks he has the votes he'll pull the trigger... if not they will spin it to Trumps advantage with an "it's the fair thing to do" message.
    Exactly.

I think this really helps Trump, as I know many who voted for him last time just because of the SCOTUS vacancy.
    Without riots, might be a tad negative for him. It's too easy for the media/Dem complex to point to the Garland scenario and scream about the hypocrisy.

But with riots, it will be positive. We need 3 things: more riots, bad Biden in debates, and Durham stuff. 1 and 2 are on the table now.

16. Likes oldno7 liked this post

18. Likes Byron, rockgremlin, dougrz liked this post
    ^ That last one is great

For Dems to play this right, they would calmly point out the double standard appearance, calmly say they will fight, and calmly pledge to undo it.

Do "calm" and "Dem" ever go together?

Quote Originally Posted by dougrz View Post
    Exactly.

Without riots, might be a tad negative for him. It's too easy for the media/Dem complex to point to the Garland scenario and scream about the hypocrisy.

But with riots, it will be positive. We need 3 things: more riots, bad Biden in debates, and Durham stuff. 1 and 2 are on the table now.
    With regards to Garland it's simple for Trump to point out it was the Senate's decision and not his... by making an appointment he is just doing the job he was elected to do... same thing Obama said with regards to the Garland appointment.

Bottomline this is the Senate's call and not Trump's.

Andrew McCarthy's article is worth reading. He's solid.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...not-precedent/

Key paras:

I’d thus wager that a determined Republican effort to replace Ginsburg in the coming weeks would increase the chance that Biden defeats Trump, and that Democrats take the Senate while holding the House. If that happens, Democrats will repeal the filibuster, add four to six seats to the Supreme Court, and pack it with liberal ideologues. Whatever benefit will have been achieved by confirming a Trump nominee will be overwhelmed. And that may be the least of our problems.

The best play, particularly if Republicans lack the Senate votes they need anyway, would be to use the vacancy as a core issue in the 2020 campaign. This worked for Trump in 2016 — indeed, it got him elected, ever so narrowly.

To be sure, Democrats are going to be more galvanized this time because the shoe is on the other foot: The prospect of a Republican replacing the Court’s leading liberal will alarm them as much as the prospect of Clinton choosing Scalia’s replacement alarmed Republicans. Nevertheless, as a political issue, the Court cuts in favor of Republicans. That is why Trump is already touting a list of potential nominees.

For now, President Trump is signaling (by tweet) that he intends in short order to announce a nominee to fill the vacancy left by Justice Ginsburg’s passing, and that he will push for Senate consideration. There is a good chance that he won’t get Senate consideration before the election .*.*. but that the nomination of a solid prospective justice, and the inevitable comparison of the kinds of jurists a Biden administration would appoint, will help the president’s reelection bid.

23. Likes dougrz liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Man--I wish there were 53 Republicans in the Senate.
    Interesting point I read. Collins and Murkowski, if they abstain rather than vote against the nominee, and if Romney does the same, still gives us a 50-47 margin here. Hmm.

I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?