Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Pioneer Trek preparations

  1. #1

    Pioneer Trek preparations

    EDIT: Pioneer Trek report here:

    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...n-Deseret-Land

    I'll be tagging along on an LDS Pioneer Trek 4 day trip in Deseret Land and Livestock area. I've been invited along as photographer and videographer, I'll be bringing drone and GoPro equipment. My wife is going to provide medical assistance so she and I will be kind of floating around and not part of the assigned families. I won't be pulling handcart as I'll be packing all of my gear on my back. I'll have access to generators for recharging at night.

    I was just curious from those of you with experience, what would you have brought last time, what would you have kept home?

    I'll bring a harmonica. And since I'm bringing my backpack, I might as well bring the hydration bladder and some camping equipment. I do have certain exemptions from the rules.

    Have you been to this location? I noticed the Evanston airport is 5 miles away so I'll be aware of that while flying. I'm just not sure which direction the route goes, if it's a loop or not. I'm hoping it travels away from the airport, southwest. Suggestions are welcome, thanks.

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    I have not been to the Deseret Land and Livestock area for trek but I have helped with photography on trek previously.

    1- Attaching the GoPro to different positions on the handcart looks fantastic.

    2- I kind of messed up and flew my drone at the wrong times. I would try and schedule your flight times with the event organizers to try and figure out the optimal time. We flew our drone during a very "spiritual" part of the trek and the noise from the drone was a distraction.

    3- Include everyone. Try and get at least one picture of each Youth.

    4. Don't intrude / hinder with photography.

    Between our Stake's photographer and videographer, we also had pictures from all of the Ma's & Pa's. In total we had thousands of pictures and hours of video footage. We prepared a really nice 45 minute slideshow and then offered the pictures, slideshow, and video to anyone for download. Not a single darn person wanted a copy. I still have over 60GB of media from trek sitting in my Google Drive (2 years later) because I'm really not sure what to do with it all. I share this with you because although people will enjoy the slideshow afterward, my experience says that the photos & videos are not worth disrupting any of the events because there does not appear to be long term interest in the material. So do your best to document without being in the way.

    P.S. I'm busy right now and probably should not have even done a reply. Please excuse my lack of proof reading.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I'll be tagging along on an LDS Pioneer Trek 4 day trip....





    Sorry man...


    But seriously though, you'd better post a TR -- if for nothing else than to edumicate the masses as to what folks actually do on that trip. I've never done it, but I have co-workers that constantly ask me what they do when that subject arises.
    Coup de grāce
    noun
    Koo-duh-GRAHSS

    1 : a deathblow administered to end the suffering of one mortally wounded
    2 : a decisive finishing blow, act, or event







  5. Likes Sombeech liked this post
  6. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    We prepared a really nice 45 minute slideshow and then offered the pictures, slideshow, and video to anyone for download. Not a single darn person wanted a copy. I still have over 60GB of media from trek sitting in my Google Drive (2 years later) because I'm really not sure what to do with it all. [/COLOR]
    Do you want them to come asking for it? Delete it. Instant requests!

    Yeah I'm trying not to be the photographer in that sense, not on a personal level, I'm more about the scenic experience. I feel if I get trapped into taking photos of people, I'll have to take photos of every single person on that activity and then they'll expect it on the next turn, and be disappointed when I'm not there.

    I have a feeling there will be a few cameras around, so I'll let them do the portraits. Maybe after the drone batteries are spent for the day I'll get my phone out for shots but I'm going to make it real clear that I'm not there to take pictures of them posing with the handcart.

    We'll see what happens though. This is my first time and I'm trying to figure out the logistics, when I can recharge, how I can pack everything with me (nobody's laying a hand on my equipment), things like that.

    Thanks for the feedback. Rockgremlin will be my pizza delivery guy on Friday. That would be sweet if I get cell service.

  7. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Do you want them to come asking for it? Delete it. Instant requests!
    We shared the link with all 500+ people who were involved (multiple times). I keep track of when my files are downloaded and nobody downloaded the files.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

  8. #6
    Do a low level slow fly-over from the front of the carts to the end. Also, you may want to send the bird into the sky at the church as everyone is gathering and leaving the church for the trek. I agree with Disco that when the group is having a devotional or some such thing, leave the bird on the ground. I love the idea of the gopro attached to the cart.

    What to bring?... whatever you want! Just put it in your wife's first aid box. No one ever looks there for anything.
    Life is Good

  9. Likes Sombeech liked this post
  10. #7
    Maybe nobody wants to remember the misery. Lol


  11. Likes Sombeech liked this post
  12. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    We shared the link with all 500+ people who were involved (multiple times). I keep track of when my files are downloaded and nobody downloaded the files.
    I'm telling ya, act like you deleted or lost it, and they'll actively seek you out to say how bad they wanted to download it. Well, maybe that only happens when it's really deleted ha ha.

    This sounds selfish, but I'm getting the footage for myself, for my own portfolio. It seems when I shoot for people, to capture every pose and every person in that pose, it's crap and nobody wants to see it after they made me do all of that work. So if I go into it like it's for my own portfolio, it usually looks much better and more people see it. I'm on the "Instagram Video" model lately, keeping the videos to 1 minute long. The view count is always much higher than the 3 minute videos. Ain't nobody got time fo' that.


    While we're on it, my biggest pet peeve while being the camera guy, are the people that desperately wanted me to capture what they did, but they didn't even check to see if I was ready, or if I was even in the area. "Did you get the part where I walked across that log?" Umm, no, did you tell me about it? "No I just thought you would have filmed me. Dang that was awesome too, how about you just follow me around just in case I do something like that again". How about I film you doing something awesome and then I just go ahead and delete it because I don't like you.

  13. Likes rockgremlin, accadacca liked this post
  14. #9
    Am I the only one who expects this is how @Sombeech does his professional gigs:

    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

  15. Likes twotimer liked this post
  16. #10

  17. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I'm telling ya, act like you deleted or lost it, and they'll actively seek you out to say how bad they wanted to download it. Well, maybe that only happens when it's really deleted ha ha.

    This sounds selfish, but I'm getting the footage for myself, for my own portfolio. It seems when I shoot for people, to capture every pose and every person in that pose, it's crap and nobody wants to see it after they made me do all of that work. So if I go into it like it's for my own portfolio, it usually looks much better and more people see it. I'm on the "Instagram Video" model lately, keeping the videos to 1 minute long. The view count is always much higher than the 3 minute videos. Ain't nobody got time fo' that.


    While we're on it, my biggest pet peeve while being the camera guy, are the people that desperately wanted me to capture what they did, but they didn't even check to see if I was ready, or if I was even in the area. "Did you get the part where I walked across that log?" Umm, no, did you tell me about it? "No I just thought you would have filmed me. Dang that was awesome too, how about you just follow me around just in case I do something like that again". How about I film you doing something awesome and then I just go ahead and delete it because I don't like you.
    I like your attitude about this. Nothing to add except to say I think I was about 15 when I got conned into going to one of these. Me and my buddies ended up getting kicked off because the bishop didn't think we helped pull the cart enough on day 2. We were no doubt little shits, but that bishop was a total dick. Good times though. The funny thing is that we got the boot for lack of participation instead of the joint we smoked on night one.

    We got our revenge the next year though when they did a joint activity at Flaming Gorge. We ended up doing some midnight skinny dipping with a few gals, including the bishop's daughter.

    Moral of the story: Don't try to bring teenage boys back to the fold by letting them around your teenage daughters.

  18. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  19. #12
    You couldn't pay me enough to go on a pioneer trek.... have fun.


  20. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    You couldn't pay me enough to go on a pioneer trek.... have fun.
    Me either, and I'm a full-fledged, card carrying member. I think some of the stuff the leaders do to the kids on Trek is way out of bounds and they make them suffer too much. I'm all for toughening up today's youth but, the horror stories I heard about Trek from my kids and others is to the point of ridiculousness. Didn't the Pioneers suffer and go through what they did in order that we don't have to today?
    Are we there yet?

  21. #14
    I have been on many treks. They are awesome, or at least can be awesome. The purpose is not to suffer. If the leaders have that as the purpose then I submit they are doing it wrong. The purpose is to lift, inspire and connect the youth to something far greater then themselves.
    Life is Good

  22. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  23. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I have been on many treks. They are awesome, or at least can be awesome. The purpose is not to suffer. If the leaders have that as the purpose then I submit they are doing it wrong. The purpose is to lift, inspire and connect the youth to something far greater then themselves.
    I'm sure there's some like that but, withholding water and food, purposely getting them lost and barraging them with gun fights and Indian attacks at 2am then making them death march without enough rest, food & water is way overboard. Maybe they've toned them down the last few years but, like you said, it's up to the leaders. Some leaders think a sufferfest will bring out their spirituality for some reason. It just made my kids angry.
    Are we there yet?

  24. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  25. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    I'm sure there's some like that but, withholding water and food, purposely getting them lost and barraging them with gun fights and Indian attacks at 2am then making them death march without enough rest is way overboard. Maybe they've toned them down the last few years but, like you said, it's up to the leaders. Some leaders think a sufferfest will bring out their spirituality for some reason. It just made my kids angry.
    Seriously??? I'm sorry for your pain. Yep, someone is doing it wrong, IMHO. I have never heard of what you describe and I have been participating on Treks for a few decades. My brother was one of the founding fathers for trek at BYU many years ago and what you describe was never part of the original idea. As for treks I have been on or been a leader for, we never withhold water or food. The first evening on the trek they may not get as much as they would like to eat, but torture is never a part of it. Gun fights? Indian attacks? LOL, and I thought I watched too many old westerns. Yes, in my opinion, that is way, WAY overboard. Our treks, when we do them in Spanish Fork Canyon, involve black powder rifle shooting, archery, pioneer games, leather making, flint and steel and bow drill fire making, a lot of dutch oven cooking, square dancing, devotionals, taffy making, evening skits and programs, etc. We often have "trappers" ride into camp on horseback and deliver fresh roast beef to everyone. Yes, they pull a handcart and it is at times difficult, yes one breakfast the get cornmeal mush, but overall, the kids go away with big smiles on their faces and very well fed.

    If you travel to Martin's Cove in Wyoming where the Willie and Martin handcart were stranded by early storms, those who run that program specifically tell you that the youth are to be very well fed and have ample water. The experience there is NOT to give them a harrowing pioneer survival experience (which would be THE place to do that if it were appropriate to do that) but to connect the youth, as I said, with something far greater than themselves. A month from now I will be at Martin's Cove with about 300 youth. I'm looking forward to it!
    Life is Good

  26. Likes accadacca liked this post
  27. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Our treks, when we do them in Spanish Fork Canyon, involve black powder rifle shooting, archery, pioneer games, leather making, flint and steel and bow drill fire making, a lot of dutch oven cooking, square dancing, devotionals, taffy making, evening skits and programs, etc. We often have "trappers" ride into camp on horseback and deliver fresh roast beef to everyone. Yes, they pull a handcart and it is at times difficult, yes one breakfast the get cornmeal mush, but overall, the kids go away with big smiles on their faces and very well fed.
    See, now that sounds like a great adventure and the way they should be. I'd be all over that!
    Are we there yet?

  28. Likes Scott Card liked this post
  29. #18
    I've been involved with the youth for over 15 years and although fortunately/unfortunately, I've never been invited to trek the youth all come back with stories of how enjoyable it was, both fun and enlightening. The only challenging thing mentioned is what is called the "women's pull"? (Sounds like the young women pull the handcarts up a hill by themselves?)

    Lately, our youth start at the top of Ephraim Canyon and pull hand carts on the Skyline Drive and down Manti Canyon to the Temple. Doesn't even sound hard...

    I've actually never heard anything negative about the experience.

  30. Likes Scott Card liked this post
  31. #19
    Man, I feel sorry for all you Mormon dudes.
    Let's go logic for a moment...

  32. Likes rockgremlin, Sombeech, DiscGo liked this post
  33. #20
    Yeah over the years there have been some people screwing it up, but I've heard it's gotten back on course. Some people, both Mormon and non Mormon, think that great suffering must happen for a greater experience. Those people are welcome to suffer a slap in the face from me.

    I've always said I'll never do Trek either but my wife is going and I was invited to film, I will have some relative freedom to do what I want and explore on my own so it sounds decent. It's either that or go in to the office!

    I've also heard stories about withholding food, and that it's been put to an end. Just imagine the type of person that implemented that idea. If any of that crap happens I'll be right there to document and will make it known.

    I think it will be a good experience, but most of all I hope to get great footage. That's really why I do anything anymore, for the footage. Biking, boating, it sounds strange but if I didn't have a camera I don't think I'd have any motivation.

    I leave this Wednesday. If I find a spot with cell service (I'm on T-Mobile ) I'll give you guys an update. See, I get to bring electronics ha ha.

  34. Likes twotimer, tallsteve liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Pioneer Day [Infographic]
    By accadacca in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 08:39 AM
  2. [Trip Report] Pioneer Park in St George
    By Sombeech in forum Hiking, Scrambling & Peak Bagging
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 05:11 PM
  3. [Trip Report] Pioneer Park with the family
    By Sombeech in forum Hiking, Scrambling & Peak Bagging
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2010, 11:55 PM
  4. Happy Pioneer Day!
    By DiscGo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 06:42 PM
  5. [Trip Report] Mormon Pioneer TR
    By Ross in forum Mountain Biking & Cycling
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-10-2007, 05:18 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •