Thread: Kolob / Boundary canyons

Kolob / Boundary canyons

We plan on doing either Kolob or Boundary canyons in a few days...we do plan on calling the reservoir in advance, but was wondering if anyone has done it recently and what the conditions are.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Boundary and lower kolob bone dry. No first hand experience but I would bet on kolob technical being dry also. Ultimately your decision for wetsuits however

I've never seen the tech section of Kolob without at least a garden hose of flow. Have you seen it with no flow before?

In June of '03, Kelsey and I went thru a bunch of canyons in Zion. The only one that was bone dry was Pine Creek...Kolob had no flow at all but the pools in the tech section had plenty of water.

There are some big pools in there. I can't imagine they'd be dried up...even if they were releasing no water, I'd probably still take at least a 4/3.

But then again, I went thru Imlay last July and there was so little water we really didn't need wetsuits at all.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I've never seen the tech section of Kolob without at least a garden hose of flow. Have you seen it with no flow before?
    I’ve been through twice where the 1st and 2nd raps where NOT flowing, but right after it had garden hose flow.

Right before the 2nd rap, there is a tiny spring, that adds to the volume which is about garden hose strength. I noticed that spring once in August and the other in September. It was def flowing in the hotter months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

We did a canyon that exited via Kolob Creek over Memorial Day weekend. The pools were very cold, however, it was overcast most of the day (until we hit the MIA, of course) without any direct sunlight. We had already taken the wetsuits off prior to reaching the pools and were very much glad we put them back on.

8. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Friends went through Boiundary and out the Narrows 6/16. Boudary was bone dry. Bottom of Kolob was dry. No over the head swimmers. No wet suits required. Upper Kolob may different if there is any flow.

10. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    In June of '03, Kelsey and I went thru a bunch of canyons in Zion. The only one that was bone dry was Pine Creek...Kolob had no flow at all but the pools in the tech section had plenty of water.

There are some big pools in there. I can't imagine they'd be dried up...even if they were releasing no water, I'd probably still take at least a 4/3.

But then again, I went thru Imlay last July and there was so little water we really didn't need wetsuits at all.
    In the middle of summer, Kolob gets a lot of sun, so those pools, well - many of those pools - pretty much dry up.

Not nearly as fun when dry.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    In the middle of summer, Kolob gets a lot of sun, so those pools, well - many of those pools - pretty much dry up.

Not nearly as fun when dry.

Tom
    During dry conditions I actually much prefer Boundary over Kolob

13. Likes ratagonia liked this post