Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moab being loved to death....

Sadly for her, the days of a sleepy little Moab are long over. But if she's been there a long time she is also benefiting from all of that tourist money. I have a buddy who runs a business in Moab and he says his biggest problem is keeping his entry level positions filled. Even the grocery store is now paying $15/hour. Economic times are good in Moab now and it's due almost 100% thanks to the tourism industry. I feel her pain, but this is happening everywhere now as our population continues to increase. It could be worse, she could live in Vernal.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    In Today's Zephyr....

Take it or Leave it: WHY CROWDS, CHAOS, & THE DEATH OF SOLITUDE DON’T MATTER IN THE ‘NEW WEST'

http://www.canyoncountryzephyr.com/2...by-jim-stiles/

This is an outstanding article. It's kind of long, but worth the read. Here's a few interesting quotes I found especially poignant:

- This is the pursuit of Nature in 2018. This is what it’s becoming. This is what our lives are becoming. We cannot stand to be ‘dis-connected.’ The mere thought of it terrifies most of us. If the silence and solitude of Nature and wilderness are no longer qualities we long for, then what exactly is it we’re trying to save?

- The "...Disneyfication of Wilderness areas..."

- And so, we offer a lament, as the love and longing for the quiet moment, passed along from generation to generation, for more than a century, from Thoreau to Muir to Leopold to Abbey, draws to a close. The solitude is there, if you know where to look for it, but who’s looking? And who would notice or care if it went away? Is that a bad thing? Who knows? Maybe not. But Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote, “Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.” The world has lost patience with Nature these days. They’ll never know what they threw away.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

4. Likes jdn1221, mcweyen, TommyBoy liked this post
    Quite the pickle. If they would just tell us exactly when to enjoy the outdoors and how, maybe we could stop being so offensive.

Get outside and enjoy the outdoors, they said.
    No, no, just a few of you.

6. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    ^^^That kid looks like Harry Potter with dreads.

My best guess is that it's female. However, I'd certainly want a look at the pud before moving in for a smooch.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    . It could be worse, she could live in Vernal.

or worse yet---san francisco.....
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

@Sombeech Its not that people are going outdoors, its the people that go out and try to bring the indoors out with them. They have to be connected, they want paved trails and starbucks close by, they want to drive up snap the pic and then get back to A/C and cable television.

11. Likes mcweyen, rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    @Sombeech Its not that people are going outdoors, its the people that go out and try to bring the indoors out with them. They have to be connected, they want paved trails and starbucks close by, they want to drive up snap the pic and then get back to A/C and cable television.
    Right on. I see it this way as well. There are a hell of a lot more RVs out roamin' around than there used to be. Lots of vans and small setups. Plenty of big boys, too.

Ya know what? I'm just glad the places way back there are still too much work for them. I hope the wilderness areas don't get beat down if somehow people figure out how to get in better shape.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

13. Likes mcweyen, jman liked this post
    well, if its not full dress Harleys with their sound system at 100dB, now its cyclists with their bluetooth Speakers cranked all the way up. Either way, I don't want to have someone else's music jammed into my audio input (so to speak). Thank goodness there is still respite out on the (foot) trial (well, mostly)

Funny, speaking of the over populated mill creek canyon in moab, I just so happened to see in my Facebook feed today, yes in June, some photos from a hiker saying he was alone in mill creek. In June!

So take the "100-1000 mill creek visitors each day" with a some skepticism. I'm sure it can peak at those numbers occasionally, on a special weekend, but believe it or not you can still find solitude here.

In many ways this is like a lot of good things in life.... everyone wants to have access to all the goodies, but then they want to close the gate behind them.

17. Likes mcweyen, jman liked this post
    Apparently, Kiley Miller is not some "poor lady" or a resident of Moab from before the tourist boom...in fact she is part of the problem. She moved to Moab about 20 years ago because her and her friend fell in love with the area and the rock climbing opportunities.

Lots of stuff on Google about her.

19. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    In many ways this is like a lot of good things in life.... everyone wants to have access to all the goodies, but then they want to close the gate behind them.

I'll just put this right here...

Name:  YW2ZLDW57JA6ZDRGC26YBINZGE.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  33.1 KB

21. Likes Udink liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Apparently, Kiley Miller is not some "poor lady" or a resident of Moab from before the tourist boom...in fact she is part of the problem. She moved to Moab about 20 years ago because her and her friend fell in love with the area and the rock climbing opportunities.

Lots of stuff on Google about her.

Well then -- this dovetails quite well with Ice's comment about people wanting to close the gate behind them after they find the goodies. This is the classic example.

23. Likes mcweyen, jman liked this post
    nimby's
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

25. Likes oldno7, jdn1221, accadacca, jman, rockgremlin liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    nimby's

Les, long time no post.

Good to see you back.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Les, long time no post.

Good to see you back.
    X2

Honesty... this ladies entire rant reminds me of someone bitching because they have to have sex on their honeymoon.

You live in a tourist town, that is extremely rich and prosperous by small town standards, where nearly every dime comes from the tourist industry. Your town has labored hard the past four decades to industrialized tourism and now you are unhappy that the tourists park in front of your home. Maybe you should have considered the consequences of moving to such a town before today.

On a side note... one of the biggest slams one member of my family can say to another is "stop acting like a tourist".
    As a lot of you know I spend a lot of time in Moab and the neighborhood that she talking about is a private little neighborhood that is brand new on the road going up to the parking lot. If those people that bought a house in there did not realize the problem that was going to be there it's their own fault. Yes there is no question the area is being overrun by tourists but it's been being overrun for years and those people that built that neighborhood bought those homes knew what they were getting into. I mean good hell for the last 3 or 4 years the sheriff's is out on the main road blocking the road during Jeep Safari because there's so much stinking traffic they can't control it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I will tell you though three or four of those homes that are back on the river I would die to own one of them they are in a really nice spot.

Maybe Zion could loan them some of their buses.