Thread: Sugarhouse Cancels 4th of July Fireworks

Sugarhouse Cancels 4th of July Fireworks

The overwhelming majority of comments were in praise of canceling fireworks. "They're too loud, too noisy, too dirty, I'm a vet with PTSD, my dog hides under the bed, they start too many fires....blah, blah, blah..."

Since when did this become the popular sentiment? I love fireworks shows. It's a tradition for me. Plus, it only happens twice a year. Haters can deal with it.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46324672&ni...t-back-in-2019
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. Likes DiscGo, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    The overwhelming majority of comments were in praise of canceling fireworks. "They're too loud, too noisy, too dirty, I'm a vet with PTSD, my dog hides under the bed, they start too many fires....blah, blah, blah..."

Since when did this become the popular sentiment? I love fireworks shows. It's a tradition for me. Plus, it only happens twice a year. Haters can deal with it.

Totally agree. People just love to whine about something. I still love fireworks.

I'm with you. Fireworks are great. It gives the community a reason to get together and celebrate. Makes me feel like we still care about something bigger than ourselves.

I guess that's not the case anymore in some places. Sad, really.

They need to stop lighting fireworks within City Limits on the concrete and asphalt. Please move them to the mountains and fields where the grass and vegetation should be nice and dry. Don't risk the glass and concrete. Not worth it.

Last year multiple fires broke out, I don't think that is the main reason but it was pretty wild last year. I could see the fire across I80 from my house.

If you want to know why the fireworks were cancelled follow the money as that is always the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    If you want to know why the fireworks were cancelled follow the money as that is always the reason.

If you read the article, it mentions the fact that the city stopped funding the fireworks a while ago, and the fireworks shows have since been funded by private enterprise.

Well, the guy who has been footing the bill for the show in recent years just decided not to do it this year, and they weren't able to find another party willing to fund it (although it doesn't sound like they really publicized it). It seems like there are enough rich folks in SLC who like fireworks who probably would've pitched in.

Regardless ---- last year I decided that SLC fireworks suck. We all attended the fireworks in Kaysville (Davis Tech College?), and it was probably the best fireworks display I've seen in over a decade. I'll be back there again this year - to heck with fighting the SLC crowds for a mediocre fireworks show.

Blog Entries
    Regardless ---- last year I decided that SLC fireworks suck. We all attended the fireworks in Kaysville (Davis Tech College?), and it was probably the best fireworks display I've seen in over a decade. I'll be back there again this year - to heck with fighting the SLC crowds for a mediocre fireworks show.
    They moved it this year, due to the expansion of Mountain View High School, to Barnes Park. It’s is west of I-15 on 200 North, btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

11. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    to heck with fighting the SLC crowds for a mediocre fireworks show.
    I'm about 5 houses in off the South Side of I-80 and the park. I didn't even bother buying fireworks last year because everyone goes into a crazed frenzie and tries to out do everyone. Then the hood gets overrun by people parking and walking to the park. There was a brawl on my street corner that my teenagers had to avoid walking home. I'm not sad it's cancelled because the riff raff seems to be getting progressively worse along with the drunkenness. On the 4th I'm heading out to summit Dessert Peak with some hiking friends, trail head at 6 am, I'll be home in time for a BBQ and a beer. Seems like a good 4th of July thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    ....On the 4th I'm heading out to summit Dessert Peak....

Yeah I've tried to summit that one on multiple occasions.

Have fun -- post a TR when you return...

14. Likes stefan, Sandstone Addiction, oldno7 liked this post

Yeah I've tried to summit that one on multiple occasions.

Have fun -- post a TR when you return...

I had a cabin inHuntsville for the past few years - sold it last fall. Ayway... they used to shoot their fireworks off of Cemetary Point out over the water. Folks would head out in their boats and watch from nearly directly underneath - very cool way to watch fireworks...

The Sugarhood area has turned into a bunch of hippy-treehugger-pansies.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^

I think it had more to do with funding. If the guy footing the bill was still writing checks we wouldn't be having this conversation.

If you read the article, it mentions the fact that the city stopped funding the fireworks a while ago, and the fireworks shows have since been funded by private enterprise.

Well, the guy who has been footing the bill for the show in recent years just decided not to do it this year, and they weren't able to find another party willing to fund it (although it doesn't sound like they really publicized it).
    according to the trib, it sounds like the private entity was still willing to fund the event but the sugar house chamber of commerce decided it could not continue organizing the event (as it would require increased permits, staffing, requirements, effort) and couldn't find a private organizer and additional private funding to make it happen.

https://www.sltrib.com/pb/news/2018/...s-july-4-event

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I actually think its more Hipster pansies. Every mid 20's to 30 year old looks exactly the save down to the same arm sleeve or chest tattoo (also a huge pet peeve of mine about SLC in general, people try so hard to differentiate themselves with tats they become all the same).

Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    I actually think its more Hipster pansies. Every mid 20's to 30 year old looks exactly the save down to the same arm sleeve or chest tattoo (also a huge pet peeve of mine about SLC in general, people try so hard to differentiate themselves with tats they become all the same).
    Hipsters...yeah I'll give you that.