Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: The Utah Opiod Epidemic

  1. #21
    would need to knoe how many prescription the average user get tomake much sense of this.

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #22
    I have found the very best thing for pain relief - even better than opiates, weed, alcohol or NSAIDs - is running. Running is the cure-all for everything. Everything from back pain to hangnails to labor pains can all be cured by just getting out there and pounding the pavement in your pretentious yet lightweight new Asics and a slick pair of undersized lycra clinging to your sweaty thighs. I can't believe anybody would even consider polluting their bodies with substances when the secret to pain relief is really as simple as a perky jog along the shoulder of almost any paved avenue. I heard that running can even cure cancer and male pattern baldness. And is it really true that running may bring peace to the middle east? The world may never know...
    Office Spacing
    verb

    When a worker in a menial, white collar job simply skips a day (or several) without explanation to his boss or coworkers.



  4. Likes BasinCruiser liked this post
  5. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    I have found the very best thing for pain relief - even better than opiates, weed, alcohol or NSAIDs - is running. Running is the cure-all for everything. Everything from back pain to hangnails to labor pains can all be cured by just getting out there and pounding the pavement in your pretentious yet lightweight new Asics and a slick pair of undersized lycra clinging to your sweaty thighs. I can't believe anybody would even consider polluting their bodies with substances when the secret to pain relief is really as simple as a perky jog along the shoulder of almost any paved avenue. I heard that running can even cure cancer and male pattern baldness. And is it really true that running may bring peace to the middle east? The world may never know...
    Imma smack you

  6. Likes qedcook, rockgremlin liked this post
  7. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Imma smack you
    Lol. Nice.

  8. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    would need to knoe how many prescription the average user get tomake much sense of this.
    How mayn do yuohave?
    Blog | FB

  9. Likes rockgremlin, devo_stevo, Iceaxe liked this post
  10. #26

    The Utah Opiod Epidemic

    Millions of opioid pills poured into southeast Utah’s sparsely populated coal country

    But the small Main Street shop ordered 4.8 million oxycodone and hydrocodone pills to dispense from 2006 to 2012, according to data recently obtained by The Washington Post.

    That’s the fourth highest number of pills delivered to more than 1,000 pharmacies statewide. It’s the only rural one in the top 10, a list dominated by pharmacies on the urban Wasatch Front and in southern Utah’s booming St. George.

    That’s the highest per capita rate among all Utah counties, and rivals rates in some Virginia counties in the Appalachian mining region, according to an analysis by The Post. Emery County’s much lower rate — at 64.9 pills per resident per year — still ranked second in Utah.

    The death rate for Carbon County’s 20,000 residents, calculated from 2011 to 2016, rose to more than three times the state average, according to data compiled for the Utah Legislature last year.

    “We just were so tired of looking at the obituaries every week when we were losing so many people to overdose deaths,” said Karen Dolan, CEO of Four Corners Community Behavioral Health, a nonprofit that provides mental health and substance abuse treatment in Carbon, Emery and Grand counties.

    https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/08/...-opioid-pills/


  11. #27
    It's the pills' fault.

    Nevermind personal accountability. Nevermind personal responsibility.

    It's the pills' fault. Those damned opiates.

    Emery County should file a lawsuit against the pharmaceutical industry to get millions of dollars because the opiates killed so many people in their community.

    Right?


    To me, the Opiate problem is just as insidious as the gun problem -- I guarantee that any idiot who blames guns for mass shooting deaths will also blame pills and big pharma for Opiate overdose deaths.

    Whatever you do, do NOT bring up personal accountability. It must always be the fault of someone or something else. Blame pharma or blame the NRA, but never blame your own shitty choices.
    Office Spacing
    verb

    When a worker in a menial, white collar job simply skips a day (or several) without explanation to his boss or coworkers.



  12. #28

  13. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  14. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    It's the pills' fault.

    Nevermind personal accountability. Nevermind personal responsibility.

    It's the pills' fault. Those damned opiates.

    Emery County should file a lawsuit against the pharmaceutical industry to get millions of dollars because the opiates killed so many people in their community.

    Right?


    To me, the Opiate problem is just as insidious as the gun problem -- I guarantee that any idiot who blames guns for mass shooting deaths will also blame pills and big pharma for Opiate overdose deaths.

    Whatever you do, do NOT bring up personal accountability. It must always be the fault of someone or something else. Blame pharma or blame the NRA, but never blame your own shitty choices.
    Is this a serious post or are you justa trollin'? I have no idea how to respond to this having seen very responsible people become addicted by trying to follow doctors orders, get out of pain, and/or having a genetic predisposition to addiction that they didn't know they had. Also, your comparison of guns to opiods is just not cogent. Being physically addicted and using a gun improperly is apples and Sherman tanks in comparison-- not apples to apples. Yes, there is an element of personal responsibility, but addiction is a whole different beast and yes, big pharma has some responsibility for the problem.
    Life is Good

  15. #30
    ^^^ It's a general statement of the current attitude these days of folks not wanting to take personal responsibility for their actions.

    The current trend in our society these days is to blame all of your troubles and problems on something or someone else. NOT saying the pharmaceutical industries haven't contributed to the problem -- heck when Oxycontin first came out it was widely marketed as a "non-addictive" solution to pain management. Doctors were told to just prescribe it without fear of addiction. Today we all know that is patently false, but that knowledge had to be gleaned from years of evidence to the contrary, unfortunately.

    Nevertheless, many folks want to pawn off their bad decisions onto the Pharmaceutical industry instead of admitting that maybe they shouldn't have lied to multiple doctors for years to get their fix. To place the blame solely on Big Pharma is a cop out and a lie.

    It's like personal accountability is a dirty word/s.
    Office Spacing
    verb

    When a worker in a menial, white collar job simply skips a day (or several) without explanation to his boss or coworkers.



  16. #31

    The Utah Opiod Epidemic



    Deadly tale of a dropout, the mail and a half-million pills

    SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The photo that flashed onto the courtroom screen showed a young man dead on his bedroom floor, bare feet poking from the cuffs of his rolled-up jeans. Lurking on a trash can at the edge of the picture was what prosecutors said delivered this death: an ordinary, U.S. Postal Service envelope.

    It had arrived with 10 round, blue pills inside, the markings of pharmaceutical-grade oxycodone stamped onto the surface. The young man took out two, crushed and snorted them. But the pills were poison, prosecutors said: counterfeits containing fatal grains of fentanyl, a potent synthetic opioid that has written a deadly new chapter in the American opioid epidemic.

    The envelope was postmarked from the suburbs of Salt Lake City.

    That's where a clean-cut, 29-year-old college dropout and Eagle Scout named Aaron Shamo made himself a millionaire by building a fentanyl trafficking empire with not much more than his computer and the help of a few friends.

    Full Story:

    https://www.ksl.com/article/46638158...-million-pills


  17. #32
    Stories of Fentanyl sound like every user will die, but it makes me wonder how many others have been using it for years. If it's so deadly, the customer base would be gone, I would think. It sounds like it's the odd bad batch that is killing people, if there are hundreds of thousands of users out there.

    Scary stuff though, if you need opiates make sure you're going through a proper prescription, using it as prescribed, and you'll be alright.

Similar Threads

  1. Hi from Utah County, Utah
    By zgoodman87 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 08:25 AM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •