Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LDS Church: Legal analysis ‘raises grave concerns’ about medical marijuana initiative

LDS Church: Legal analysis ‘raises grave concerns’ about medical marijuana initiative

SALT LAKE CITY — The LDS Church on Friday released a legal analysis it commissioned into a proposed Utah medical marijuana initiative, saying the report "raises grave concerns" over "the serious adverse consequences that could follow if it were adopted."

"We invite all to read (the analysis) and to make their own judgement," The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints also said in its statement.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3789...ive#from_embed

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

And the marijuana initiative just took an LDS torpedo broadside and is sinking fast. No amount of rearranging the deck chairs will save it without the blessing of God's chosen.

4. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Ok, now you're just trolling...

You know my stance on this.

If the LDS church is so concerned about the welfare of everyone in Utah, why didn't they come out years ago in protest about opiates....before thousands of people died of opiate overdoses?

Why can't the church seem to keep their beak out of politics?

Why is the report they commissioned nothing but fiercely negative, not recognizing one iota any benefits of cannabis, even though it has benefited literally millions throughout the ages?

It's articles like this that make me wonder how anybody can claim with a straight face that the LDS church doesn't influence Utah politics.

#separationofchurchandstate
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

6. Likes DirkHammergate liked this post
    Of course the LDS Church is involved in Utah politics. They run the freaking state. What percentage is Mormon here?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Of course the LDS Church is involved in Utah politics. They run the freaking state. What percentage is Mormon here?
    From a mathematical perspective the issue is not the percentage, it's that the LDS vote in a block.

This block voting creates a huge hurtle to any issue with an opposing view.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Ok, now you're just trolling...

You know my stance on this.

If the LDS church is so concerned about the welfare of everyone in Utah, why didn't they come out years ago in protest about opiates....before thousands of people died of opiate overdoses?

Why can't the church seem to keep their beak out of politics?

Why is the report they commissioned nothing but fiercely negative, not recognizing one iota any benefits of cannabis, even though it has benefited literally millions throughout the ages?

It's articles like this that make me wonder how anybody can claim with a straight face that the LDS church doesn't influence Utah politics.

#separationofchurchandstate
    Well said. Did you also hear the news that coffee has a real health benefit to your body???

It's interesting how the LDS seems to want to be relevant. It's not relevant anywhere outside Utah, little parts maybe in Idaho and Arizona. It's a marvelous work and a wonder to me how faithful Members don't actually understand that.

Legal analysis

The 31-point analysis referred to by the LDS Church was completed by Salt Lake law firm Kirton McConkie. Among the report's assertions:
    • The initiative would require the state "to destroy records of cannabis sales after 60 days, which will hamper law enforcement."
    • The measure would make marijuana "the only serious controlled substance in Utah sold for alleged medicinal purposes without a prescription and outside of licensed pharmacies."
    • Illnesses that would qualify a person for a medical cannabis card include "conditions that are difficult to diagnose and can afflict many people in varying degrees, such as 'chronic pain,' which by some estimates includes over 15 (percent) of the population."
    • A large amount of marijuana could be recommended by a small group of doctors. (The analysis claims that about 70 percent of such recommendations in Colorado were "at one point" made by fewer than 15 physicians.)
    • The initiative "doesn't require physicians … to have any training or experience with the effects of marijuana."
    • Marijuana use among youth, per federal research, is "generally significantly higher in states that have legalized recreational and medicinal use."
    • The initiative would allow medical cannabis cardholders more than 100 miles from a cannabis dispensary "to grow their own marijuana" and there isn't an enforcement mechanism to ensure they don't possess more than what is otherwise the legal limit.
    • Under the initiative, a doctor could "routinely rubber stamp recommendations for a medical cannabis card after a brief visit, or mistakenly recommend marijuana use under conditions where it would do harm," and be legally exempted from civil and criminal liabilities, as well as licensure discipline.
    • Marijuana possession would be legalized "before medical cannabis cards are distributed," meaning a person in suspicion of having it for recreational purposes can demonstrate they legally possess it if they are able to show they would be eligible for such a card if they were in circulation.
    • The initiative "appears to narrow liability for driving under the influence of marijuana" to include only a person who ingests marijuana while operating a vehicle.
    • Possessing marijuana could "affect (an) immigrant if ... he or she applies for a green card, applies for citizenship, or travels outside the United States."

These arguments seem to be written in crayon, many of them are actually fake. Hey, at least they want to protect immigrants. This has Dallin H. Oaks written all over it.

Anyone who has witnessed a loved family member suffer a cruel and brutal death by cancer and also witnessed the temporary relief that marijuana can provide would never oppose it's use. Denying the use of marijuana in certain medical conditions is nothing short of cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Anyone who has witnessed a loved family member suffer a cruel and brutal death by cancer and also witnessed the temporary relief that marijuana can provide would never oppose it's use. Denying the use of marijuana in certain medical conditions is nothing short of cruel.
    Co-signed.

The law firm who completed the analysis was named "Kirton McConkie?" So the law firm was founded by a relative of Bruce R. McConkie -- one of the most stringent and strict General Authorities the LDS has ever seen.

What a shocker...

Bruce R. once claimed that simple playing cards were of Satan, and didn't belong in the home of any worthy priesthood holder.

Seems like a pretty biased report to me...

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    The law firm who completed the analysis was named "Kirton McConkie?" So the law firm was founded by a relative of Bruce R. McConkie -- one of the most stringent and strict General Authorities the LDS has ever seen.

What a shocker...

Bruce R. once claimed that simple playing cards were of Satan, and didn't belong in the home of any worthy priesthood holder.
    Hey, at least he wasn't a "fence sitter" in the Pre-Existence.

Thanks Obama!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    This X2.

I watched my Grandma beat cancer once and when it came back a few years later pass on any treatment, because of how bad treatment was round 1.

I once offered to get some pot for her to see if it would help, but as a God fearing woman she wouldn't break the law. No doubt in my mind that if it was legal she would have tried it. I have no clue if it would have helped, but it sure wouldn't have hurt. As an old hillbilly from Appalachia my father in law was well acquainted with the benefits of pot long before he died of lung cancer, and it sure seemed to help him in the end. Plus is there any better way to have some father in law bonding time than drinking Bud's and sharing a joint around the campfire?

It's craziness to me to be so opposed to something that can offer relief to folks, but at the same time having 0 problem popping Percocet's and the like.

16. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    I'm an active "card carrying" member of the church. I signed the petition to get the vote for medical marijuana on the ballot and I stand by that regardless of the church's lawyer's opinion. Let's be honest here, the vast majority of modern prescription medication is horrible. Just watch or listen to all of the advertisements for drugs they are pedaling nowadays. You will likely get a serious infection, have almost no immune system left, or maybe even die from liver failure, but by God, you'll have smooth skin. Or your anti-depressants will make you sadder and you'll want to commit suicide? How is all this crap acceptable?

As far as I'm concerned, marijuana cannot possibly be worse than all of these medications out there and there are legitimate benefits to it with certain illnesses. If someone needs it, give it to them, I say. I have a hard time believing that a loving God would not understand.

Just my opinion, that's all.

^^^ Why can't the legislators see all of this? Why are they so blinded by fear and ignorance?

Name:  MV5BMTMxNzUwNzIxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDE3ODU1NQ@@._V1._CR34.883331298828125,38.53334045410156,284.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  22.8 KB

19. Likes devo_stevo liked this post
    ^^Yes. Yes they are. The concerns addressed in that letter could all be fixed with the proper legislation. That's what laws are for, right?

Like the issues with it being the only controlled substance in Utah to be sold outside of a pharmacy?? Just sell it at pharmacies like any other prescription drug.

My guess is they just don't want to try real hard.

I say, don't go ask the LDS church what they think of such and such. That's like asking Oprah what she thinks of guns. Who cares what Oprah thinks, except she is going to influence her fans.

Don't blame the Church for speaking what they preach. Blame the jackass that goes and asks the church in the first place.

The church will always have this position so it's pointless to keep asking then what they think. Quit asking them and just work on passing the law.

My advice is to work harder on passing the law and quit going and asking the church that will keep saying the same thing over and over again no matter how many people change their Facebook profile picture or vote in a poll. Target the people that are asking the church, and then target the people that publish that conversation in the media.

Going after the church is a wasted cause and so much energy, time and money has and will be lost in doing so. Gotta change your strategy. Them boys don't read bogley. They don't look at Facebook poll results. They don't give a shit about your temporary marijuana leaf Facebook profile template.

But they do respect the law. Start there. And next time somebody asks the church again if they've changed their mind, that somebody should lose all credibility.

Oh and for arguments sake, let's focus on the "smokeless" pot. If any one of you tries to convince me that it's healthy and natural and good for your body to inhale fumes of smoke from a smoldering plant, please reevaluate your life.

I currently have in my possession some CBD oil, just so you know where I stand. But any jackass that tries to preach their religion of smoking pot will cure the world, quit shoving your religion down my throat, if that'll sound familiar.

It has a time and place. Smoking is not healthy. The extracts do have medicinal value.

Quit acting like a doctor each time you take a puff.

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo View Post
    I'm an active "card carrying" member of the church. I signed the petition to get the vote for medical marijuana on the ballot and I stand by that regardless of the church's lawyer's opinion. Let's be honest here, the vast majority of modern prescription medication is horrible. Just watch or listen to all of the advertisements for drugs they are pedaling nowadays. You will likely get a serious infection, have almost no immune system left, or maybe even die from liver failure, but by God, you'll have smooth skin. Or your anti-depressants will make you sadder and you'll want to commit suicide? How is all this crap acceptable?

As far as I'm concerned, marijuana cannot possibly be worse than all of these medications out there and there are legitimate benefits to it with certain illnesses. If someone needs it, give it to them, I say. I have a hard time believing that a loving God would not understand.

Just my opinion, that's all.
    Ironically a majority of Mormon's support the use of MM.

24. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    Ironically a majority of Mormon's support the use of MM.
    I don't think it's ironic, really. We are better at thinking for ourselves than most people think we are. At least a majority of us are... :)

26. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    ^^This^^
    Are we there yet?