Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: LDS Church: Legal analysis ‘raises grave concerns’ about medical marijuana initiative

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    Ironically a majority of Mormon's support the use of MM.
    I would argue the irony lies within the lack of irony to this statement. This shows the stereotype of all Mormons, how they all think 1 way no matter what the opinions are of other Mormons and that these rules are taught every Sunday along with shunning gays and Bitcoin investors.

    Here you've got several active Mormons stating opinions of Mormons, and NOBODY listens. They'd rather read carefully crafted headlines from somebody that asked the church leadership for an answer they knew they'd get.

    But, most folks prefer to get "inside info" about Mormons and their prejudices from articles instead of believing Mormons that would be willing to talk and answer any question you've got.

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

  2. Likes devo_stevo liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  4. #22
    I believe there are very good and effective benefits to many compounds in the hemp/cannabis plant. I believe that we have the science to extract those compounds. 'Beech mentioned CBD. YES! The problem is that so many people are trying to backdoor getting high piggybacking on a medical argument. If the THC in marijuana has medicinal value then so be it. I for one, having represented way too many DUI clients for THC do not favor legalized marijuana. I have yet to represent one client where marijuana made them smarter. Perhaps that is why it is called dope??? :) I do, however favor science and further studies to determine the value and effectiveness of CBD's. I favor it so much so that I am a member of an independent review board overseeing one of the legal studies for CBD's going on in Utah. It is a quality controlled gel cap that has given people much relief.

    One example, my law practice is mostly accident and death cases these days. I am just wrapping up one very large quadriplegic trucking accident out of Kansas that we filed in Denver Federal Court. My client was on 6 opioids a day due to his crushed t-spine. In one month, his opioid usage was cut almost in half using a morning an night dose of CBD. The company that I am involved with is Endo-C. Check it out http://www.endo-c.com/ and check out the study if you are interested. The study is for the purpose of understanding the effects of CBD on pain, anxiety, and sleep. So far, the results are wonderful.

    All that being said, the LDS legal opinion is just that, a legal analysis of the law. I do not favor the particular law at issue as it is written for many of the reasons listed in the analysis.

    And before any of you start to believe that I am less than sympathetic to those in pain, I became involved in this study because I have a child with chronic pain. I am hoping that CBD or a similar compound is the answer for my child. I just do not think that smoking marijuana is the answer.
    Life is Good

  5. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    The problem is that so many people are trying to backdoor getting high piggybacking on a medical argument. If the THC in marijuana has medicinal value then so be it. I for one, having represented way too many DUI clients for THC do not favor legalized marijuana. I have yet to represent one client where marijuana made them smarter. Perhaps that is why it is called dope??? :)
    I understand what you are saying but I believe you are only seeing the little picture and not the big picture.

    I prefer to look at pot similar to alcohol. They both have a serious down side.... but... If you legalize pot you can control it and remove organized crime and gangs from the equation. You can also tax the heck out of it and feed the money into drug prevention and rehab programs.

    Alcohol was a much bigger problem during prohibition then it is after prohibition. I fail to see why pot would not follow suit if legalized.

  6. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  7. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Oh and for arguments sake, let's focus on the "smokeless" pot. If any one of you tries to convince me that it's healthy and natural and good for your body to inhale fumes of smoke from a smoldering plant, please reevaluate your life.

    I currently have in my possession some CBD oil, just so you know where I stand. But any jackass that tries to preach their religion of smoking pot will cure the world, quit shoving your religion down my throat, if that'll sound familiar.

    It has a time and place. Smoking is not healthy. The extracts do have medicinal value.

    Quit acting like a doctor each time you take a puff.
    Like Jesus said to Paul "all things in moderation", or maybe that was Allah to Muhammad? I've smoked too much dope over the years to remember the fine details.

    As a guy who supports recreational legalization, I too find it hilarious all of the people out there acting like it is the "miracle drug" that can cure everything. There does seem to be benefits for sure, but the rabid pro pot people come off a bit like essential oil salespeople. Plus I know too many every day smokers for anyone to convince me it's good for you long term.

    As a mostly non user I support legalization because I don't need some government bureaucrat to try to tell me what I can do in my home.

  8. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I would argue the irony lies within the lack of irony to this statement. This shows the stereotype of all Mormons, how they all think 1 way no matter what the opinions are of other Mormons and that these rules are taught every Sunday along with shunning gays and Bitcoin investors.

    Here you've got several active Mormons stating opinions of Mormons, and NOBODY listens. They'd rather read carefully crafted headlines from somebody that asked the church leadership for an answer they knew they'd get.

    But, most folks prefer to get "inside info" about Mormons and their prejudices from articles instead of believing Mormons that would be willing to talk and answer any question you've got.

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

    I'm confused about your assertion to "not ask the LDS church..." Well, I didn't. They volunteered their stance. Broadcasted it far and wide via KSL and the other news outlets.

    ????

    I didn't ask the LDS church. Heck I know what they're gonna say. Doesn't everybody? Did I miss something?
    <----I'm with Spartacus

  9. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I understand what you are saying but I believe you are only seeing the little picture and not the big picture.

    I prefer to look at pot similar to alcohol. They both have a serious down side.... but... If you legalize pot you can control it and remove organized crime and gangs from the equation. You can also tax the heck out of it and feed the money into drug prevention and rehab programs.

    Alcohol was a much bigger problem during prohibition then it is after prohibition. I fail to see why pot would not follow suit if legalized.

    ^^^THIS^^^

    This has been my stance all along. Treat it like alcohol. Tax and regulate...because there will NEVER, EVER come a day where we "win the war on drugs," and eradicate marijuana from our state. That is folly. And if you honestly believe that day is on the horizon, then I seriously feel bad for you because you have taken delusion and raised it to an art form.

    That said, here's where I stand in bullet form, lest there be any confusion:

    1. I'm not claiming pot will make anybody smarter. That too is folly. Similar to alcohol, pot disables cognitive function. But I believe that its usage is beneficial in other aspects (analgesia, anxiety relief, PTSD, easing symptoms of chemo, etc, etc).

    2. I'm not under the delusion that the LDS church will one day approve of its use. Does anybody actually believe this?

    3. I'm not under the impression that smoking pot will change the world. It has enough beneficial uses that we don't need to resort to hyperbole.

    4. I believe that instead of fighting to keep it illegal, we ought to accept that it will always be here and available, and turn that into a source of revenue via taxes. This creates a win-win situation, instead of the lose-lose situation we're currently in. It will never go away. I had friends who smoked it in high school during lunch, and I have friends now (professionals in their fields) that smoke it on occasion. It is easier for kids to access than alcohol.
    <----I'm with Spartacus

  10. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    I'm confused about your assertion to "not ask the LDS church..." Well, I didn't. They volunteered their stance. Broadcasted it far and wide via KSL and the other news outlets.

    ????

    I didn't ask the LDS church. Heck I know what they're gonna say. Doesn't everybody? Did I miss something?
    Well, like Dirks acknowledgement that most Mormons support medical pot, this should be the answer rather than looking at what the headlines say. If most Mormons support it, then we need to admit there's not a Mormon blockade on the issue. But it does make for a great headline and it gets them clicks.

    What about this, what if it was legalized but only if it wasn't smoked? How would that go down? Would everybody agree that the medicinal value would still be present if only the oils and edibles were legal?

    Smoking is easy and fast for results but there's nothing healthy about it. Edibles hit in 40 minutes.

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

  11. #28
    We may think it's unfairly illegal, but the only way out is to present a benefit.

    Legalizing Marijuana will benefit Utah because __________________

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

  12. #29
    Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Posts
    2,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    We may think it's unfairly illegal, but the only way out is to present a benefit.

    Legalizing Marijuana will benefit Utah because __________________

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    I think that it can help steer some people away from an opiate addiction. I've personally seen it happen to two different people in my life. One went into a hospital to medically "detox" from the pain killers she had been on for years - all legally prescribed by doctors (who kept increasing the doses over the years). She has done cannabis treatment since. I know how lethal pills can be for people. I lost my youngest sister to addiction. She didn't overdose, but her liver shut down due to the chronic use of all that medication.

    I say, market it, tax it, and give it a chance! Keep the money in state instead of sending it out to CO and NV.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

  13. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  14. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Well, like Dirks acknowledgement that most Mormons support medical pot, this should be the answer rather than looking at what the headlines say. If most Mormons support it, then we need to admit there's not a Mormon blockade on the issue. But it does make for a great headline and it gets them clicks.

    Edibles hit in 40 minutes.

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    I have no evidence that Dallin H. Oaks is the driving force behind this but it just seems like something he'd move forward in his new capacity.

  15. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    We may think it's unfairly illegal, but the only way out is to present a benefit.

    Legalizing Marijuana will benefit Utah because __________________

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

    Shouldn't the onus be on the government to continually demonstrate the need for these laws to be on the books? (should go for all laws btw).

  16. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    ...because there will NEVER, EVER come a day where we "win the war on drugs," and eradicate marijuana from our state. That is folly. And if you honestly believe that day is on the horizon, then I seriously feel bad for you because you have taken delusion and raised it to an art form.
    Want some major irony?!?

    Many liberals want to legalize marijuana for the simple reason it's already here and there is no way in hell you can eradicate it... but... these same liberals sing a completely different tune when it comes to firearms.....

    Or.... we can easily flip the script and swap liberal for conservative and flip-flog firearms for marijuana in the post.

    Either way you are just barking at the moon, so it seems to me it's better to be pragmatic and make the best of the realistic conditions.

    YMMV

  17. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  18. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo View Post
    I don't think it's ironic, really. We are better at thinking for ourselves than most people think we are. At least a majority of us are... :)
    It's certainly trending that way with youth and millenials who tend to care nothing about orientation or keeping pot illegal. What happens when they start taking leadership roles within the Church. I'm sure there will be some evolution, just naturally.

  19. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    It's certainly trending that way with youth and millenials who tend to care nothing about orientation or keeping pot illegal. What happens when they start taking leadership roles within the Church. I'm sure there will be some evolution, just naturally.

    You know, I've pondered on this extensively. There's going to have to be a change in there somewhere. Nothing remains static. Times are a changin'....
    <----I'm with Spartacus

  20. #35
    I think the edibles are hitting in 40 seconds. TallSteve wrote ^^This^^ and to the right of his post was a photo of Hillary. And that same photo showed up twice on page 2. Far out, man.

  21. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  22. #36
    My wife takes the CBD for chronic isssues. At her last Dr. visit she told him she had been trying it for months. He said he was glad she told him. Noted that here in the state of Utah he could loose his license for recommending it... but if the patient brings it up he is allowed to counsel - said to keep it up!

  23. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  24. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by savanna3313 View Post
    I think that it can help steer some people away from an opiate addiction.
    Kratom is also a fairly new herb on the market and it's famous, or infamous for easing the opiate withdrawals. I've personally taken it, and it works better than anything I've tried, even Marijuana. But, wouldn't you know it, it's coming under swift attach from the big pharma companies. Big money is pushing the lawmakers to classify this Kratom leaf as an opiate.

    But anyways, back to the Marijuana topic.

  25. #38
    Boy did the topic strike a nerve.

    Doctrine & Covenants Section 89

    10 And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—

    11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.

    Pass the Cheetos...



  26. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Boy did the topic strike a nerve.
    Yes, ironically it's something that many, many Utahns are passionate about. The KSL article had somewhere near 500 comments!! That's an unbelievable amount of public reaction.


    BTW, the original link you posted has been corrupted and is now linking a shopping site...
    <----I'm with Spartacus

Similar Threads

  1. Hef is rolling in his grave......
    By savanna3313 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2017, 10:51 AM
  2. Utah Senate Passes Controversial Medical Marijuana Bill
    By rockgremlin in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-20-2016, 09:33 PM
  3. 10 Major Health Benefits of Medical Marijuana (Infographic)
    By accadacca in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-31-2013, 09:19 PM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 06:09 PM
  5. Analysis: Obama spares details, keeps up attacks
    By jumar in forum The Political Arena
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-30-2008, 10:44 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

LDS suicide Utah

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •