Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LDS Church announces split with Boy Scouts of America

LDS Church announces split with Boy Scouts of America

Sad deal...Baden Powell is rolling in his grave.

—-

SALT LAKE CITY — Leaders of the LDS Church announced Tuesday night they plan to cut ties with The Boy Scouts of America.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46316676

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Scouting is dying, its not if, just when

The writing has been on the wall for a while now. The values of the BSA are being eroded at an alarming rate. I'm a little sad about it. I won't miss the stupid songs and skits, but I'll miss the organization that teaches boys some outdoor skills as well as how to be a respectful and productive member of society. There's not enough of that going around these days in my mind.

5. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Isn't the Church the Scouts largest charter member? If so, they won't last long now. If they think they'll make up the Church's funding by all the girls now joining, well, I can't see it happening. They may see a spike for a year, then it will die out.
    Are we there yet?

...I also won't miss the "Friends of Scouting" fundraiser drive every year. When I was a Scout/Young Mens leader I was never comfortable knocking on doors in the neighborhood begging for money and being told the Ward had to meet a certain quota. When my boys were in Scouting I would always donate but, after my youngest graduated, my wallet was closed.
    Are we there yet?

8. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Isn't the Church the Scouts largest charter member? If so, they won't last long now. If they think they'll make up the Church's funding by all the girls now joining, well, I can't see it happening. They may see a spike for a year, then it will die out.
    Agreed. I see a lot of camps and stores being shut down in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and maybe Arizona due to this. I don't see them having the membership or the money that they need to sustain the current infrastructure.

And I agree about friends of scouting. I told the ward that I wouldn't do that because I wasn't comfortable with it. Even when I was the scoutmaster, I refused to do it.

10. Likes tallsteve liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo View Post
    Agreed. I see a lot of camps and stores being shut down in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and maybe Arizona due to this. I don't see them having the membership or the money that they need to sustain the current infrastructure.

And I agree about friends of scouting. I told the ward that I wouldn't do that because I wasn't comfortable with it. Even when I was the scoutmaster, I refused to do it.
    I wonder what the percentage of usage of camps in the states around Utah are from LDS troops? It's gotta be close to 80% or more right? This has got to be the end of East Fork of the Bear camps, Steiner and probably many more that I don't know about.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    I wonder what the percentage of usage of camps in the states around Utah are from LDS troops? It's gotta be close to 80% or more right? This has got to be the end of East Fork of the Bear camps, Steiner and probably many more that I don't know about.
    I'm in the Trapper Trails Council. We have two camps in Wyoming (Loll and New Fork), Camp Hunt (in Garden City on Bear Lake), Camp Bartlett (just north of Bear Lake), Hull Valley (just southeast of Preston, ID), Camp Browning and Kiesel (both at Causey Reservoir), plus a couple others that I can't recall at the moment. I don't know the numbers for sure, but I'd bet attendance at these camps is well north of 80% LDS troops.

I've been to these camps multiple times and am yet to see more than maybe one troop that isn't LDS there at any given time. No, I didn't do a survey to find out if all of the troops are LDS, but most of them have trailers with the ward or stake all over the side of them or you talk to them and they bring up church subjects pretty openly, because they pretty much know that you're LDS too just because you're there. So I guess my evidence is completely anecdotal and I could be way off. But I'd say it's pretty close.

There is absolutely no way to keep all of these facilities operating while losing that kind of attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    ...I also won't miss the "Friends of Scouting" fundraiser drive every year.
    Ugh, I absolutely loathed going door to door. One year I just said at every door "hey I don't want to do this and you don't want to see me but I've got to hand these papers out. Please just take this and throw it in your garbage and I will leave right now".

True story.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

14. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Keep in mind the BSA is a nationwide organization, beyond Utah. But, even throughout the Midwest, LDS church troops are still the main sponsors.

They'll squeak by and possibly survive, but only because they saw the writing on the wall and they started to recruit girls now. This is the reason. Not sexual gender equality, but to make up for lost Mormon boys.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Oh, I don't see the BSA going away completely. Not for a long time. But the LDS church supposedly makes up about 20% of the membership. That's a lot of members to lose all at once. There will be some contraction in the size of their footprint throughout the country. Especially here in the intermountain west.

LDS Church announces split with Boy Scouts of America

The BSA is in full damage control now. They sent an email last night titled, "Our Partnership With The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-day Saints"

See the links below to the web versions of the email with their lead article and two sub articles trying to smooth things over.

What you need to know about the LDS church’s announcement about its future relationship with the BSA

The Boy Scouts of America Organization Name Is Not Changing, And Other Facts To Set The Record Straight

Full Newsletter

19. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Yeah, bunch of hogwash. Just like their eroding program.

This should have happened long ago. I've had a couple of my college buddies who've remain active bitch to me about being "called" Scoutmaster in their respective wards. Besides being Ward Mission Leader summarily the worst calling a mid-30 year old can have when trying to raise and support a family in the traditional Mormon model. It just an added layer of time constraints with meetings, scout camps and activities they can't do with their families and career.

I've argued the Mormon Model of raising large families with the Dad as the single breadwinner worked for my parents and that generation. It does not for the current generation. As the Church still advocates for that model I believe its one of the main reason why they're losing adult males and millennials in droves. You can see the Church currently trying to address by lowering mission ages, changes home teaching (cause literally nobody does that except my parents), now Scouting. There are plenty of other policy changes as well. Too much expected of membership in this model with the way people have to work to be successful and participate in Lay Leadership.

The only time I enjoyed myself Scouting was when I was at a high sierra scout camp and I participated in a 2 night solo overnighter with only my pack and gear and no tent. I had to go about a 1/2 mile outside of the camp, make a lean 2, protect it enough from potential rain from materials I could gather, make my meals and sleep in it. That was super fun to wander back into camp and get mobbed by your buddies.

FYI - I never f*cking allow my 15 year old to do that right now. I think that's what made it so great.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Name:  BSA2.png
Views: 411
Size:  88.1 KB
    "Organization" vs "Program"... one changes, the other does not.

“Be Prepared” -Scout Motto

Condoms will be handed out at the World Scout Jamboree

News broke last week that the World Scout Jamboree — slated for next summer in West Virginia with the Boy Scouts of America as a host — would ensure “condoms are readily and easily accessible for all participants at a number of locations.” The move marked for many the latest step in an ongoing radicalization of scouting.

Aside from making condoms available to children as young as 13, additional information from the WSJ event shows that girls are expected to make up half of the attendees. The Jamboree is being promoted as a way for participants to meet and mix faster than they could through social media.

The event is touted by organizers as “what will surely be the largest party in the world.”

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    “Be Prepared” -Scout Motto

Condoms will be handed out at the World Scout Jamboree

News broke last week that the World Scout Jamboree — slated for next summer in West Virginia with the Boy Scouts of America as a host — would ensure “condoms are readily and easily accessible for all participants at a number of locations.” The move marked for many the latest step in an ongoing radicalization of scouting.

Aside from making condoms available to children as young as 13, additional information from the WSJ event shows that girls are expected to make up half of the attendees. The Jamboree is being promoted as a way for participants to meet and mix faster than they could through social media.

The event is touted by organizers as “what will surely be the largest party in the world.”
    Is this for real?

So they're going to have an enormous gathering of co-ed teenagers with less than optimal adult supervision -- and then hand out condoms?

It's like Woodstock, but with more bubble gum and braces.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I was a scout 40 years too early...

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    I was a scout 40 years too early...
    What do you mean? My scout troop met every Wednesday night after Mutual (a Mormon thing), and the girls did some young woman thing, and after that we would meet up and go make out... I always though of it as church issued pussy.... LOL....

27. Likes double moo liked this post