Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Ever Called the Cops on Your Neighbors?

Poll: Ever Called the Cops on Your Neighbors?

And if so, why?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yep. Wild teenagers. My Lehi house was on a corner lot with a stop sign for my side street. These boys kept pulling the sign out of the ground and rotating it 90 degrees. I kept rotating it back. I finally caught them doing it and told them they were going to get someone killed and they just laughed and thought it was so funny. Next time they did it I called the cops. That was just one time out of a few. They were just awful neighbors.
    Are we there yet?

Yes, only one neighbor but multiple times.... because he was a total dumbass.

Yes. Twice. Two different neighbors, but both times because they were super loud in the middle of the night and either got into a fight with someone in all there drunken glory or threatened to do the same. Both times I was awoken sometime around 3 AM to the sound of wild threats and vulgarities along with everybody else telling someone to get off of someone else and leave them alone.

Freaking idiots. It's been a while though and the neighborhood's back to it's old quiet ways again. I like that.

No, I am not that old yet.

But I did have a neighbor that kept allowing his dogs to crap in my yard. After multiple requests which went nowhere, I finally started collecting it all in a grocery bag. Once I had a few weeks worth I launched that bag across the yard and on to his roof directly over his porch. The bag burst open and 2 weeks worth of dog shit ended up on his roof, in his rain gutter and on his porch. May not have been my most mature moment, but it solved the problem and no police were involved.

7. Likes double moo, rockgremlin liked this post
    OK. Story time...

So last night. Monday night. The next-door neighbors have a whole bunch of people come over and they uncharacteristically start setting up folding chairs out in their back yard and it looks like they've got a BBQ going. Little kids are running all over the yard, making a ruckus. All of this was unusual behavior because normally they just hole up inside their house like they're addicted to potato chips and Fortnight. So this much activity was very out-of-the-ordinary.

Around 7:30pm the BBQ is winding down. Smells good. They must be stuffing their faces because the noise level has also dropped by 75.8 decibels. During that same time, I caught the eye of one of the teenage noisemakers, and I cocked my head and offered a friendly wave. My amiable gesture was met by a very blunt and stoic stare, and then an abrupt turn of the head in the other direction. Snubbed. Hmmm. OK. That was rude. I went back inside, and didn't think much more about it (I was outside playing catch with my boys during this whole thing).

At around 8:30pm they decided that it would be an outstanding idea to assemble a ring of stones in the middle of their back yard and start burning garbage. Well, normally that wouldn't be a big deal, but with the good weather we've been enjoying recently, we've been keeping the windows open throughout the house to allow the spring breeze to waft throughout the house. You can imagine what happens next. Instead of a pleasant spring breeze, we get the noxious smell of melting plastic and burning weeds wafting throughout the house. A disapproving smirk spreads across my face as I go throughout the house, slamming windows shut.

About an hour later, their redneck trash fire has graduated into a bonafide Kumbaya bonfire, and an amplifier had been applied to the decibel level. It was a curious thing how the noise level could be so much more intense than before -- even after their kiddos went to bed. The gleeful childhood squeals that had filled the air earlier in the evening was replaced by obnoxious, alcohol fueled howls by the grown ups. Great.

We put our kiddoes to bed at around 10:00pm and retreated to the basement for Netflix and chill. An hour and a half later the kiddos followed us downstairs, complaining that the noise level was too much for them to fall asleep. Incensed, I shoot upstairs and am greeted with what sounds like a good natured shouting match between a room full of almost deaf senior citizens. I'm furious. First they filled my house with their trash fire fumes, and now they're keeping my kids awake with their drunken bellowing. And it's pushing midnight.

OK, decision time....cops, or talk to them in person? We decide on both, doing the latter first, and the former if necessary. We go over and explain that they were keeping our kids awake, and could they please keep it down since dad has to get up at 5:00am, and the kids have school tomorrow? Very cordial. Very respectful. All of this was met with a hazy nod of the head, and a non committal gesture indicating that they would try. We retreat back to the comfort and safety of a dark house and set the timer.

How long? 30 minutes? Nah, more like 15 minutes, and then we'll see.

15 minutes later, nothing has changed. The drunken caroling and incessantly obnoxious bellowing has not diminished. At all. Game over. Cops are called. They show up about 10 minutes later. 5 minutes beyond that blessed silence once again comes home to roost.

I mean...we tried to be nice. But sometimes the only thing assholes respond to is a shiny badge and a gun on the front porch doorstep.

9. Likes Sandstone Addiction, jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    No, I am not that old yet.

But I did have a neighbor that kept allowing his dogs to crap in my yard. After multiple requests which went nowhere, I finally started collecting it all in a grocery bag. Once I had a few weeks worth I launched that bag across the yard and on to his roof directly over his porch. The bag burst open and 2 weeks worth of dog shit ended up on his roof, in his rain gutter and on his porch. May not have been my most mature moment, but it solved the problem and no police were involved.
    This is golden.

I think I love you.

At the condo complex across the way, a pre-teen girl wearing only panties had a death grip on the parking structure pole while some bald dude was trying to pull her off it. I called 911.

He got her off of it and took her into one of the units. I suspected it might be a "domestic" issue because I'd seen that girl before and a lot of yelling came from that area frequently. The cops didn't show up until 20 minutes later and left after only a couple minutes. Troubled teen, I reckon. I was discouraged it took them that long to respond...perhaps they knew it was a drama house?

That was the only time for a neighbor, but I've had to call the cops several times to chase away crazy, stalker ex-girlfreinds at 3 in the morning. One gal was arrested because she refused to leave. Some girls don't take breakups well...and it certainly doesn't help when they come crawling back on their knees. Among the regrets of my youth was a lack of willpower.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    OK. Story time...

I mean...we tried to be nice. But sometimes the only thing assholes respond to is a shiny badge and a gun on the front porch doorstep.
    That's the irony of human behavior. We tell people to act like adults, to be respectful, be kind, and so on.
    Also, don't drink and drive. Again, don't text and drive. And don't go 90 mph on the I-15. etc.

Yet, when there is a cop on I-15 on the side-road, it all comes to a screetching hault, everyone puts away their phone, everyone slows down to 10 mph UNDER the speed limit and then IMMEDIATELY speeds up as soon as they past him.

I call it hypocrisy but what is interesting is that mere presence of LEOs (and cameras, for that matter) changes human behavior.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

OK. Story time...

So last night. Monday night. The next-door neighbors have a whole bunch of people come over and they uncharacteristically start setting up folding chairs out in their back yard and it looks like they've got a BBQ going. Little kids are running all over the yard, making a ruckus. All of this was unusual behavior because normally they just hole up inside their house like they're addicted to potato chips and Fortnight. So this much activity was very out-of-the-ordinary.

Around 7:30pm the BBQ is winding down. Smells good. They must be stuffing their faces because the noise level has also dropped by 75.8 decibels. During that same time, I caught the eye of one of the teenage noisemakers, and I cocked my head and offered a friendly wave. My amiable gesture was met by a very blunt and stoic stare, and then an abrupt turn of the head in the other direction. Snubbed. Hmmm. OK. That was rude. I went back inside, and didn't think much more about it (I was outside playing catch with my boys during this whole thing).

At around 8:30pm they decided that it would be an outstanding idea to assemble a ring of stones in the middle of their back yard and start burning garbage. Well, normally that wouldn't be a big deal, but with the good weather we've been enjoying recently, we've been keeping the windows open throughout the house to allow the spring breeze to waft throughout the house. You can imagine what happens next. Instead of a pleasant spring breeze, we get the noxious smell of melting plastic and burning weeds wafting throughout the house. A disapproving smirk spreads across my face as I go throughout the house, slamming windows shut.

About an hour later, their redneck trash fire has graduated into a bonafide Kumbaya bonfire, and an amplifier had been applied to the decibel level. It was a curious thing how the noise level could be so much more intense than before -- even after their kiddos went to bed. The gleeful childhood squeals that had filled the air earlier in the evening was replaced by obnoxious, alcohol fueled howls by the grown ups. Great.

We put our kiddoes to bed at around 10:00pm and retreated to the basement for Netflix and chill. An hour and a half later the kiddos followed us downstairs, complaining that the noise level was too much for them to fall asleep. Incensed, I shoot upstairs and am greeted with what sounds like a good natured shouting match between a room full of almost deaf senior citizens. I'm furious. First they filled my house with their trash fire fumes, and now they're keeping my kids awake with their drunken bellowing. And it's pushing midnight.

OK, decision time....cops, or talk to them in person? We decide on both, doing the latter first, and the former if necessary. We go over and explain that they were keeping our kids awake, and could they please keep it down since dad has to get up at 5:00am, and the kids have school tomorrow? Very cordial. Very respectful. All of this was met with a hazy nod of the head, and a non committal gesture indicating that they would try. We retreat back to the comfort and safety of a dark house and set the timer.

How long? 30 minutes? Nah, more like 15 minutes, and then we'll see.

15 minutes later, nothing has changed. The drunken caroling and incessantly obnoxious bellowing has not diminished. At all. Game over. Cops are called. They show up about 10 minutes later. 5 minutes beyond that blessed silence once again comes home to roost.

That's a rough one, because now they know it was you that called the cops on them. Teenagers + redneck parents = shitty neighbors. Hopefully they go back to their hermit ways.

That's a rough one, because now they know it was you that called the cops on them. Teenagers + redneck parents = shitty neighbors. Hopefully they go back to their hermit ways.

That was one of the considerations we made. But on the other hand, now they probably regard us as being "ultra sensitive." "Don't take the trash out to the can after 9:00pm, or our stupid ultra sensitive neighbors will call the cops!"

I'm just fine wearing that negative label. So my neighbors hate me...good. Maybe now I'll get some sleep. I don't have to please everybody in life. The only people I'm concerned with pleasing are my family, and you clowns here on Bogley. Beyond that, I'm just fine being regarded as the grumpy old man who yells at kids that step on my lawn.

And if they're foolish enough to tempt retaliatory measures I have various different ways of dealing with that. I have friends in high places -- namely @Sombeech...with a drone.

OK. Story time...

Yada, Yada, Yada....
    So this is a one time thing? I would not have even been bothered by it... neighbors should be able to blow off steam once a year without old man Rockgremlin bitching and crying.... did you also scream at the kids "Get off my grass!"

Now if this was a common occurrence that's a different story, but if it's a rare occurrence I just roll with it.

We all break curfew every now and again, but parties on a weeknight in the neighborhood are a no no. This will hopefully be a good learning experience for them to save it for the weekend.

If they're smart, which is unlikely, they'll invite you to the party next time for better control.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Dog poo under the car door handles also can be fun if you want to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    So this is a one time thing? I would not have even been bothered by it... neighbors should be able to blow off steam once a year without old man Rockgremlin bitching and crying.... did you also scream at the kids "Get off my grass!"

Now if this was a common occurrence that's a different story, but if it's a rare occurrence I just roll with it.

Old man Rockgremlin...

The thought had crossed my mind that maybe I was overreacting, but dammit I am uncompromising about some issues - namely getting my sleep (and my kids' sleep) disturbed mid-week by stupid shenanigans. I already only get 3 - 5 hours of sleep a night (and in many cases less than that), so I cherish what I can get.

I get the impression this ain't over yet. I'll keep this thread updated the next time some punk kid steps on my lawn, gives me the stink-eye, or any other egregious activity.

Dog poo under the car door handles also can be fun if you want to go that route.

Man, you and dog poo...

I just want them to stfu -- not contract Salmonella.

Neighbours? Who has neigbours?

(reminds me of this):

Tom had been in the hustle and bustle of the business world for 25 years. Finally sick of the stress he quit his job and bought 50 acres of land in Alaska as far from humanity as possible.

He sees the postman once a week and gets groceries once a month. Otherwise it's total peace and quiet.

After six months or so of almost total isolation, someone knocks on his door. He opens it and sees a huge, bearded man standing there.

"Name's Lars, your neighbour from forty miles up the road...Having a Christmas party Friday night...Thought you might like to come. About 5:00."

"Great", says Tom, "after six months out here I'm ready to meet some local folks . Thank you."

As Lars is leaving, he stops. "Gotta warn you...There's gonna be some drinkin'."

"Not a problem" says Tom. "After 25 years in business, I can drink with the best of 'em."

Again, the big man starts to leave and stops. "More n' likely gonna be some fightin' too."

"Well, I get along with people, I'll be all right. I'll be there. Thanks again."

"More'n likely be some wild sex, too."

"Now that's really not a problem," says Tom, warming up to the idea. "I've been all alone for six months! I'll definitely be there. By the way, what should I wear?"

"Whatever you want. Only gonna be the two of us."

21. Likes accadacca, rockgremlin, devo_stevo liked this post
    Man, you and dog poo...

I just want them to stfu -- not contract Salmonella.
    haha. Yeah, what would Freud think about my comments?

I get the impression this ain't over yet. I'll keep this thread updated the next time some punk kid steps on my lawn, gives me the stink-eye, or any other egregious activity.
    I can promise you one thing.... if you go to war with punk ass kids you will lose in the end.... That is a guarantee.

And the reason is you have more to lose then they do, they are still young, invincible and don't really give a shit. I know this to be fact because I was once a young punk ass kid.

Don't forget to yell "Get off my lawn" at them every chance you get.

The only people I'm concerned with pleasing are my family, and you clowns here on Bogley.
    Lol...glad we made the cut.