Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Moderation on Comrade Collective

Heavy Moderation on Comrade Collective

For what it's worth.... My posts are being moderated (read being removed) from Comrade Collective.

Here is the tread where my comment was removed:
    http://canyoncollective.com/threads/...-sherpa.25304/

I assume it was removed since I was against paid canyon sherpa's. There was nothing in my comment that was not accurate or factual.

Now I remember why I seldom visit or post over on 'Comrade Collective'.

I guess that's what happens when you don't march to the beat of their drummer.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries

Heavy Moderation on Comrade Collective

Lol “empty sandbox”. I assume Bill is referring to Bogley. Didn’t he start here, then he splintered off and started Backcountrypost and admins CC now?

Anyway...

Just curious - what did you say besides being against it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Ha. nice. I'm also curious what you said that got your post removed.

I'm sure it was scandalous.

"I would never use a canyon sherpa, but than again, I pee standing up. Your mileage may vary."

I believe that's a direct quote, but it's from memory as I can't really see what I wrote because it was deleted.

Heavy moderation was actually one of the main reasons Bogley came into being as several contributors to the Yahoo Canyon Group (which eventually became CC) were being moderated for refusing to march in step and take the blue pill.

6. Likes Taylor, mcweyen liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Lol “empty sandbox”. I assume Bill is referring to Bogley. Didn’t he start here, then he splintered off and started Backcountrypost and admins CC now?

Anyway...

Just curious - what did you say besides being against it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't know Bill, but I am pretty sure the guy who started backcountrypost is named Nick.

Add me to the list of people who'd like to see what you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    "I would never use a canyon sherpa, but than again, I pee standing up. Your mileage may vary."

Scathing indeed. Apparently, nobody can take a joke anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    I don't know Bill, but I am pretty sure the guy who started backcountrypost is named Nick.
    There is WAAAAAYYYY more history to CC, Bogley and the Yahoo Groups then that. All the old timers know the backstory.

Kind of the reason I decide to try posting on CC was I figured all the bad blood was gone, but I was wrong.... maybe I'll try visiting or posting over there in another 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

^^^You know damn well that if Mr. Ransom or You-Know-Who-From-SLC made that comment it would still be alive, and it just might have a few LOL's from the CC faithful in reply.

It's a popularity contest over there. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it.

I find it amusing that one of the things that defines them is their overwhelming disdain for anything Bogley. Like they hate Bogley as much as Trump supporters hate Obama, or as much as Bernie supporters hate Hillary. And really there's very little of substance to back those attitudes.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

11. Likes mcweyen liked this post
    Seems pretty benign, but in todays age everyone is looking to find a reason to be offended. If there is a history it makes it even easier to find something to cry about. Just be grateful you didn't wear a Chinese prom gown, then you'd really be screwed.

13. Likes Iceaxe, devo_stevo liked this post
    "I would love to use a canyon sherpa, but than again, I pee sitting down. Your mileage may vary."

Maybe I should have went in a different direction, something more like the above. What do you think?

Well, your unbridled masculinity in the first post really seems to have triggered them in a negative way.

I mean, they had two whole people complain about it, so it seemed necessary to remove a post for the 4th time in the site's history. That's one harmonious crowd over there that they can be around for that long with only 4 posts being edited or removed if they'll do it after receiving 2 complaints.

Don't worry though, they said there aren't any secret handshakes and it's not a conspiracy. So it's all on the up and up.

16. Likes mcweyen, rockgremlin liked this post
    I'm calling bullshit on their lame response. The post was up for less then 5 minutes and anyone with any commonsense knows there was not 2 complaints in less then 5 minutes, if for no other reason then the crew at CC just doesn't bitch that fast. They first have to consult with "The Great Ones" and hold public polls to see what their opinion should be.

My God, can you imagine the number of complaints they would have to deal with if they left the post up for a full 60 minutes?!? LMAO

Anyhoo... no skin off my butt. If they don't want any alpha males at their feminist rally I'm happy to respect their wishes.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Name:  SnowflakesOnWindshield.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  101.8 KB

did they hurt your widdle feelins???

19. Likes prestongable, rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    did they hurt your widdle feelins???
    That's so cute... you think I actually have feelings.

Bless your heart.

21. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Does this old feud have more to do with sharing of beta, perspective of how to go through canyons, political perspective or all of the above. I was just getting into this stuff back when the split happened.

23. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcweyen View Post
    Does this old feud have more to do with sharing of beta, perspective of how to go through canyons, political perspective or all of the above. I was just getting into this stuff back when the split happened.

All of the above. As I mentioned in a previous response, I believe there is VERY LITTLE substance to all of these crappy attitudes and negative banter. Most of it is just ego driven. I've lived through the drama, and I know who the players are.

It's really a shame that the canyoneering community has become so polarized. It's unfortunate that to really get immersed in the canyoneering social structure, one necessarily has to choose a side. Like the Democrats and Republicans, or Montagues and Capulets. Both sides arrogantly and cavalierly think they are justified in their own behavior while the other side are a bunch of self righteous assholes. Why that is...I don't know. Pride? Ego? Probably.

In the immortal words of Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?"
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

25. Likes mcweyen liked this post
    I was wondering when they would finally go Gender Neutral over there

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

27. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Mistakes were made on both sides. Ultimately they took their their ball and went home. They decided to abandon the dark side and build their own universe.

It’s all water under the bridge for me. I’ve got enough drama in my life raising 4 kids.

I agree with rockgremlin and its been proven time and time again that some of the canyoneering crowd has an elitist attitude

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Like the Democrats and Republicans, or Montagues and Capulets.
    It's a lot more complicated then just two sides. Think more like the middle East conflict.

The original battle lines were among three main groups, the ACA (American Canyoneering Association), Yahoo Canyons (now Comrade Collective) and Bogley.

Most folks supported one or two, but not all three sides. And then there are a bunch of smaller satellite groups like the Colorado and California meet up groups.

And yes the battle involved all aspects of canyoneering. Canyon ethics, dispensing of beta, schooling, how to interact with land managers, who controlled the forums, and who was profitting from the sport were just some of the major points of conflict.

When I posted in CC yesterday I honestly thought much of the hate had disappeared, but I was wrong. Lesson learned.

30. Likes mcweyen liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcweyen View Post
    Plain and simple, beatdown in political debates. It's a shame that unchecked political debate can be polarizing. But if not on bogley, then on anywhere else the opposing mindsets mingle and chat. We still see it on Facebook.

Some will say it's a difference of opinion on other canyon topics, which will always exist, but that's not why you leave a group. You leave a group because you let yourself get too involved and too heated in a political debate and got your ass handed to you (even if you were right).

Those who come out on top of political, religious debates aren't the ones to leave. They stick around to gloat about it. That's why I'm still here, I haven't lost yet! Jk, I'm still here because some of the new registrations don't check their spam folder for the confirmation link ha ha.

The thing is, if the political debate didn't happen here, it would have (and still does) on Facebook and other online groups. Bogley is a popular scapegoat because we made the hard decision to allow free speech and self control, even though 90% of the main players were on the yahoo groups and were then members on bogley, some will try to deny bogley even existed and want to pretend they all met on Flickr and Facebook.

Make no mistake, these different groups would still exist today even if bogley chopped out all arguments and played full time Internet police. They'd find ways to fight on Facebook and would still split off to group up with other friendlies and call it tolerance.

14 years later, here we are, still with healthy online discussion.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

32. Likes accadacca, mcweyen, rockgremlin liked this post