Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heavy Moderation on Comrade Collective

Damn, here I have been canyoneering with my friends and saying hello to strangers in canyons all while not knowing there was a civil war raging in the dark corners of Zion (the state, not the park which is known locally as Zions).

I certainly have no beef with CC and find it a great resource for beta, techniques and reading about some cool canyons. But it's definitely more of a niche site and I have more interests than just canyons. Plus this site needs at least one liberal to bring some sanity to the tea party.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

^^^I like this analysis, Beech.

I still don't understand the elitist attitudes that are so prevalent. Arrogant certitude. Plain and simple.

I also can't understand the notion of burning books in the name of "tolerance." -- Somebody please explain this one to me. Serious request.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Damn, here I have been canyoneering with my friends and saying hello to strangers in canyons all while not knowing there was a civil war raging in the dark corners of Zion (the state, not the park which is known locally as Zions).

I certainly have no beef with CC and find it a great resource for beta, techniques and reading about some cool canyons. But it's definitely more of a niche site and I have more interests than just canyons. Plus this site needs at least one liberal to bring some sanity to the tea party.

@Uintahfly is living proof that it's possible to be liberal and thick-skinned.

5. Likes Iceaxe, mcweyen liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Plain and simple, beatdown in political debates.
    This has little or to nothing to do with the recent political beatdowns.... this is a battle that has been waged for the past 20 years. This battle is at least 5 years older then Bogley as all the Bogley canyoneers originally migrated over from a group known as Yahoo Canyoneers, which was at odds with the Yahoo Canyons group.

The part I find the most comical in all of this is I bet 90% of those waging war don't know exactly what they are fighting for, they have just been told so-and-so is the enemy and so they pick up a sword and charge blindly into battle following their fearless leaders.

I have no clue who Bill is, other then he is apparently the one who moderated me yesterday. But I'll wager any amount of money he has zero clue about the nuances of the canyon conflicts and why he did what he did, other then he has been conditioned to hate all things Bogley. Rockgremlin was correct in that if one of "their guys" had of posted what I did nothing would have been moderated. If they actually received complaints it was really about who posted and not the content.

There are probably only 20 canyoneers of the senior canyoneering community still left in the sport that can actually detail where and why the battle lines were originally drawn. Most of those involved in the original conflicts have just aged out of the sport or moved on to other endeavors.

You are certainly in the majority.... 99% of canyoneers are not on a side or could care less, they just like canyons. Too bad some still carry their ancient grudge around in a paper sack.

Plus this site needs at least one liberal to bring some sanity to the tea party.
    Yeah, but you're not a typical liberal, you actually battle with facts and commonsense, instead of just emotions and dreams.

8. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I have no clue who Bill is, other then he is apparently the one who moderated me yesterday.
    Bill is the kind hearted gentleman who proved he's always got my back and was concerned about me flying my drone illegally over Little Wild Horse Slot Canyon. Once there was no immediate threat to be found, my thread disappeared.

Yes, censorship is surely rare with certain people, right?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Bill is the kind hearted gentleman who proved he's always got my back and was concerned about me flying my drone illegally over Little Wild Horse Slot Canyon. Once there was no immediate threat to be found, my thread disappeared.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

See, this is what I'm talking about. WHY the incessant censorship?

I'm gonna try and not be super lame and point to the fact that the Nazis also burned books in the name of censorship....nope, not gonna do that.

11. Likes Iceaxe liked this post

That's impossible as they have only ever been forced to moderate 4 posts before and I was responsible for at least 10 of those 4 posts.

ROFLMAO

13. Likes mcweyen liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    This has little or to nothing to do with the recent political beatdowns.... this is a battle that has been waged for the past 20 years.
    That's possible, but from an admin point of view, all of the complaining and demands for change come after a heated political debate. The opposing theories of bolt vs no bolt, beta vs no beta, canyoneering poo poo like that always seems to get hashed out in healthy discussion.

But boy oh boy do we get them demands once the political stuff gets heated. Speaking of somebody already mentioned in this thread, he made demands that I make it possible to use the "Ignore" function on admins and moderators, or else he would leave. I stayed up all night making it happen, editing this plugin, doing some coding, and he left anyways.

That right there is the last time I ever fulfilled special demands by somebody threatening to leave if we didn't program the forum to run a certain way. Take it or leave it. Post your own healthy discussions if everything you're reading currently sucks.

15. Likes devo_stevo, rockgremlin, ratagonia liked this post
    Speaking of somebody already mentioned in this thread, he made demands that I make it possible to use the "Ignore" function on admins and moderators, or else he would leave. I stayed up all night making it happen, editing this plugin, doing some coding, and he left anyways.
    LMAO.... I'm not mature enough to not click on certain individuals threads, can you please hold my hand and do it for me.

If that's not the textbook definition of a liberal I don't know what is.

18. Likes devo_stevo, jman liked this post
    I never signed up over there 'cuz I suspected they'd ban my ass within a week.

I just returned from a two week vacation...one week of which was spent in the most "sacred" of canyons off Lake Powell. One of the guys I was with asked me not to identify him as being in any pictures of the slots in there. He and I had quite a lengthy (and cordial) discussion about the reasons why. I won't go into our discussion too much, but he's a pure badass canyoneer and he has friends that frequent this site as well as the other. My impression is that he just doesn't want to get involved in the "beta" controversy and wants to preserve the friendships with those guys in particular. Some of those guys at CC really get into some SERIOUS canyons, and that's something he's keen to in particular.

I'm going to respect his wishes and will not post a trip report of the area we were in at all. I want to preserve my friendship with him as well...he's one of the coolest dudes I've ever met.

With that said, I"ll slap one up of an epic dayhike I did by myself.

I haven't a clue what this "war" is all about or even who these dudes are over there...and I couldn't care less. I will say however, that every single person I've met and done things with have been nothing less than fun and kind...regardless of politics, beta stance, etc...

Funny how different some can be in person versus online.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

20. Likes prestongable, jman, 2065toyota liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    I'm going to respect his wishes and will not post a trip report of the area we were in at all. I want to preserve my friendship with him as well...he's one of the coolest dudes I've ever met.
    I think we all respect that, but if any pictures get posted by this person over on CC after saying all of that, there would be undeniable hypocrisy

I think we all respect that, but if any pictures get posted by this person over on CC after saying all of that, there would be undeniable hypocrisy
    I would totally agree with this...but I can guarantee that 'aint going to happen.

I would love to post up about what was done and where we were...but that 'aint going to happen either. I'm tempted, but I made a promise.

Funny...I have nothing to do with that crowd but have to oblige them in a six degrees of separation kind of way. Normally, I'd throw up a middle finger.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

23. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    Yeah well I’ve spent a small fortune in safety rigging self rescue training.
    You can definitely buy friends over at Comrade collective by utilizing their favorite capitalist companies.
    Their beloved local monopolies.

25. Likes Iceaxe liked this post