Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mountain biking with your kids

Mountain biking with your kids

I know a few of us take our boys and girls mountain biking. Here's a thread to share your photos, videos, and even stories.

My 11 year old is finally getting big enough to ride my old Klein Mantra. We've been riding the Bonneville Shoreline Trail in Ogden and occasionally along the river bottoms in Riverdale. Once in a while we bring the dog too.

Here are some clips from last week. He took a spill but it wasn't bad at all. A lesson on switchbacks. Oh and he's climbing much better than I am too, which isn't saying much. I'm trying to ride with him every week, we'll see if I can keep that commitment.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm so jealous of you with kids who like to ride with you. I could never get my kids to go with me when they were younger. Now they are all grown and gone. My daughter (and athlete of the family) has told me she wants to get into mt. biking once she's done with med school and rotations next fall. I'm hopeful!
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    I'm so jealous of you with kids who like to ride with you. I could never get my kids to go with me when they were younger. Now they are all grown and gone. My daughter (and athlete of the family) has told me she wants to get into mt. biking once she's done with med school and rotations next fall. I'm hopeful!

"The cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon, little boy blue and the man in the moon...."
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Took the 6 year old to Moab a few weeks back. Day 1 was some practice laps on Rusty Spur and day 2 he did the EZ/Lazy loop.

Name:  Moab.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  441.7 KB

6. Likes accadacca, devo_stevo, tallsteve, Sombeech liked this post
    Here's another clip from our recent ride. We are hoping to ride every week.

Both my daughters mountain bike with me.

Name:  20150621_090036.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  121.4 KB

9. Likes Sombeech, devo_stevo, tallsteve liked this post
    I took my boy and pup to the Riverdale trail along the river bottoms there. This is a great trail and terrain for kids. Just a word of advice, there are vagabonds that occasionally camp out down there since it's very close to where the trains stop.

This was from tonight

I'm just happy to see the word 'vagabond' used in a sentence.

Love riding with my oldest son. Need to get my younger boy out there.

13. Likes Sombeech, tallsteve liked this post
    Sooooooo, in a bout of frustration with my 6 year old's crappily geared hand-me-down bike, I accidentally sold it and splurged and bought this:

What a world of difference. I don't have an on-trail picture just yet, but he loves this thing!! The gearing is low. The brakes are good. The big 2.8 tires at ~8 psi seem to give him tons of confidence when it gets bumpier.

IT certainly was a bit of an impulsive splurge, but I"ll have two boys that will be able to use it. Plus he'll be able to ride so much more with me and my 10 year old. I may be way more excited for this than he is.

15. Likes accadacca, devo_stevo, Sombeech, Iceaxe liked this post
    ^^^Nice Bike^^^

The above post reminds me of a great story....

One of the kids on the Corner Canyon HS MTB team was always begging his dad for a new bike. The kid always finished just outside the top 10 and swore up and down it was the bike holding him back. The dad always replied "It's not the arrow, it's the indian".

Fast forward to mid season and one of the rider leaders lends the kid his multi- million dollar cross-country bike for the next race. The dad is still walking around saying "It's not the arrow, it's the indian". but this time the dad makes a critical mistake, he tell's the kid if he wins he'll buy him any bike he wants. The kid proceeds to lead the race from start to finish and the dad ended up blowing the dust off his wallet and shelling out a big chunk of change to buy the kid a top of the line new bike.

The moral of the story is, "it's always great to have the best arrows".

17. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    ^^^Nice Bike^^^

The moral of the story is, "it's always great to have the best arrows".
    Especially on kids bikes. The majority of the bikes made for the 12 and under crowd these days are such piles of shit, that make it almost impossible to get off trail. Modern geometry, decent components and light weight are a game changer for kids on anything other than smooth dirt roads. I have been amazed at the stuff my kid can ride over without much trouble. Then again, we probably all learned on pieces of shit, so maybe I should have saved my money and made him suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Especially on kids bikes. The majority of the bikes made for the 12 and under crowd these days are such piles of shit, that make it almost impossible to get off trail....
    Amen to this! The bike I got rid of was even a Specialized HotRock something or other. The brakes sucked, the fork was a heavy terd that didn't even budge under his 48lbs. I actually really like that this Trek didn't come with a suspension fork. They are worthless at that pricepoint.

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    Amen to this! The bike I got rid of was even a Specialized HotRock something or other. The brakes sucked, the fork was a heavy terd that didn't even budge under his 48lbs. I actually really like that this Trek didn't come with a suspension fork. They are worthless at that pricepoint.
    Yeah, it is tough to get a useful fork at that size. You probably are smarter than me, so won't be interested, but if you ever decide to upgrade the fork, this is the way to go: https://spawncycles.com/brood-eldorado-ss-80-9 My son's bike came with it and it is really like a junior pike. Probably overkill for most, but if he has his sights set on hitting some jumps it's worth it.

BTW, highly recommend Little Valley in Corner Canyon for the beginners. It was actually pretty cool to see beginners of all ages out there! Short, easy, non-intimidating loop options. Very cool place!!!

22. Likes Iceaxe liked this post

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Just going to say I miss riding with my kids. They grew up and do their own thing now. :(

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Chere'

A few with my boys. My 15 year old is in his second season riding on the Bingham HS Team. He’s getting fast and faster.

I just got my 12 year old a much better bike and it made a world of difference. Now we are working on getting some more muscle on his legs.

26. Likes devo_stevo, blueeyes liked this post
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    A few with my boys. My 15 year old is in his second season riding on the Bingham HS Team. He’s getting fast and faster.

I just got my 12 year old a much better bike and it made a world of difference. Now we are working on getting some more muscle on his legs.

Love NICA coached for 4 years. Sarah graduated this year so I gave up coaching duty.

Sarah in the middle

Three of us last spring on Thunder Mountain first time Spencer had been on a bike in 4 years. It was his first time on a full suspension he loved it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Chere'

28. Likes accadacca liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Chere'
    I know your a proud mom and deservedly so!

Wow--look at Spencer, all growed up
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

30. Likes blueeyes liked this post