Thread: Imlay Conditions?

Imlay Conditions?

Anybody been, anybody planning on going in the next three weeks or so? Thinking about going the first part of May? Any info would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Anybody been, anybody planning on going in the next three weeks or so? Thinking about going the first part of May? Any info would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    We also have a first of May trip planned.

We did Pine Creek yesterday. More water than I've ever seen in it and it was a little chilly.

Had friends do Mystery and Spry recently. Full of water but no snow or ice.

I would guess that Imlay is the same. Completey full of really cold water

4. Likes jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I’ll be down in Zion this weekend doing another round of Mystery this year so I will ask around for Imlay conditions at ZAC and the backcountry desk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Blog Entries
    I asked the backcountry desk last weekend for any information for Imlay and they said a few groups have done it but are not aware of any conditions.

Their best guess was to “plan for log soups and escaping from a lot of the potholes”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I was in there on Friday. We made it to the crossroads before two team members blew leg gaskets on their dry suits and we decided to bail, however, from what we could tell it was pretty low water. Most of the pot holes before that had wanter about half way to the normal water line. Don't know for sure what the dark sections looked like, but my hunch was we were in for some good keepers.

My wetsuit doesn't blow many gaskets.

I still havn't ever convinced myself to buy a drysuit. Too big of consequences if there is a failure for me.

Duct tape will easily fix just about any dry suit problem until you have time to make a proper repair. I also carry a bicycle tube patch kit for any minor repair. You should already be carrying several feet of duct tape in your possibles bag and/or first aid kit as it's arguably the most versatile emergency item you can carry.

11. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by USofCS View Post
    I was in there on Friday. We made it to the crossroads before two team members blew leg gaskets on their dry suits and we decided to bail, however, from what we could tell it was pretty low water. Most of the pot holes before that had wanter about half way to the normal water line. Don't know for sure what the dark sections looked like, but my hunch was we were in for some good keepers.
    It rained real hard for about half an hour here in Mt Carmel today... hard to say what happened over in Zion, 20 miles away. But my best guess would be "something".

Be prepared for it to be a beast.

Tom

Rained hard in STG also. Couldn't even see Zion for a while. It would be hard to imagine that as hard as it rained that everything isnt completely full

Keep us posted if you go, moab mark

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Rained hard in STG also. Couldn't even see Zion for a while. It would be hard to imagine that as hard as it rained that everything isnt completely full
    I disagree. Some of those canyons take a LOT of water to fill up, and they have been very, very dry.

Only one way to find out... which is why you go in loaded for bear!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    I disagree. Some of those canyons take a LOT of water to fill up, and they have been very, very dry.

Tom
    I agree. I've been to canyons after an area got lots of rain, and it didn't fill up. Sometimes not even close. And I also agree with the uncharacteristically simple and civil reply of Tom's, without the lecture. Is everything alright, Tom?

Just kidding, just kidding. :-)

17. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

Tom
    For sure. Just stating an opinion based upon how much rain that I seen come down. Streets were flooded. One of the hardest rain storms that I've seen happen here and it rained like that for 1.5 hours and on and off for 2 days.

I would like to think that it's obvious to take the things that you need unless you have first hand recent confirmation on anything

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    For sure. Just stating an opinion based upon how much rain that I seen come down. Streets were flooded. One of the hardest rain storms that I've seen happen here and it rained like that for 1.5 hours and on and off for 2 days.

I would like to think that it's obvious to take the things that you need unless you have first hand recent confirmation on anything
    And we had one half-hour on intense, and several hours of Seattle sunshine. Hard to know what happened up on the West Rim.

Tom