Thread: Mistake? Who has Right of Way on the Trail?

Mistake? Who has Right of Way on the Trail?

This was interesting, as I received my email from Utah.com on the Hiker's Code, many of you got it too I'm sure.

https://utah.com/hikers-code-stewards-of-the-parks

Scroll down to:

Right-of-Way
    When hiking, in general, down-hillers yield to up-hillers, hikers yield to horses and bikers.

Name:  right of way.png
Views: 478
Size:  16.6 KB

Any thoughts on this? I thought bikers yield to EVERYBODY, whether uphill or downhill. But this is saying hikers now have to yield to bikers.

Is this a mistake? I mean, horses, they win every time but I'm thinking this part about the hikers vs bikers is mixed up.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Draper did a good job of defining it for Corner Canyon... seems pretty well thought out.

4. Likes jman liked this post
    If everyone is putting out a different message it's going to be one giant clusterf**k....

Yes, it was always my understanding that bikers yield to others as well. Unfortunately I have encountered a few bikers that think they own the trail. Most are usually courteous however.

Even with biker vs biker, uphill vs downhill, on my ride this Wednesday I was climbing up and there were 3 downhillers that didn't even hint at stopping.

I think this sign is fairly universal with the Yield pattern. Everybody yields to horses, but Utah.com is suggesting hikers yield to everybody now. I'm guessing it's a mistake.

"The Natural Ballet" as I call it seems to work well. Every now and then someone passes me and I think "What a dick"...but I wonder how many times someone has thought that of ME. I try not to be that guy, though...so I tend to yield whether it's on a bike or on foot. Yield, nod, tip my hat and check out the girls.

Personally, I think hikers should always yield to the bikes.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

as a hiker i usually yield to bikers. seems easier to let them play through. i think bikers should slow down in the vicinity of hikers to minimize the issues. i have generally found bikers to be courteous in my experience.

11. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    When hiking I always yield to bikes, stepping to the side of the trail is no big deal. It can be hard to get pedaling again on a bike if you get stopped on a steep uphill. Beginning bikers often have a hard time getting started again on even a moderate incline.

Despite what the Corner Canyon video says I've notice hikers in CC yield to bikers 99% of the time. Trail runners are a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    When hiking I always yield to bikes, stepping to the side of the trail is no big deal. It can be hard to get pedaling again on a bike if you get stopped on a steep uphill. Beginning bikers often have a hard time getting started again on even a moderate incline.

Despite what the Corner Canyon video says I've notice hikers in CC yield to bikers 99% of the time. Trail runners are a different story.
    Yep. My experience as well. I usually pedal with a bear bell as an early warning system and I find that hikers appreciate it. When I see a hiker I slow way down to give them the choice of what to do. Typically they step aside. If not, then I'll stop and pull over. If I'm hiking, I step off.
    Are we there yet?

I typically always yield to bikers while hiking, especially if they are climbing. But when I am riding I usually let the hikers make the decision, and most yield to bikes. If not, I am happy to stop for a few seconds. When I am riding, I do try to be overly friendly to hikers as the last thing we need is a bunch of angry hikers trying to limit access to trails. Plus I have to make up for the one time I got dates messed up and rode up Big Water on an even day. I was pedaling along wondering why the dog people weren't obeying the leash rules. After a couple of miles this older woman jumps into the middle of the trail, trekking poles extended high over her head and screams, "STOOOOOOP!!!" I quickly jump off, thinking there is some emergency ahead, a cougar maybe? a wounded kid? "What's wrong?" I ask. "No bikes allowed on odd days!!!" she screams. "I know, but today is the 16th." "IT"S THE 15th!!!!" So I bust out my phone to shut this old harpy up, and sure enough it's the 15th. haha. My son's birthday is on the 16th and we were having a party for him that night, but I forgot we were celebrating a day early. So I apologize and try to explain, but she is having none of it. I have never seen someone more angry on the hills. Probably a good minute or 2 of just her yelling, calling me a liar and an a$$hole and on and on. I actually was calm and apologetic until the end when I finally had had enough and gave her a piece of my mind. I did feel like a fool as I slowly walked my bike back to the trailhead knowing most of these people were silently judging me. I have always tried to follow all trail rules, but that memory always makes me laugh.

15. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    I typically always yield to bikers while hiking, especially if they are climbing. But when I am riding I usually let the hikers make the decision, and most yield to bikes. If not, I am happy to stop for a few seconds. When I am riding, I do try to be overly friendly to hikers as the last thing we need is a bunch of angry hikers trying to limit access to trails. Plus I have to make up for the one time I got dates messed up and rode up Big Water on an even day. I was pedaling along wondering why the dog people weren't obeying the leash rules. After a couple of miles this older woman jumps into the middle of the trail, trekking poles extended high over her head and screams, "STOOOOOOP!!!" I quickly jump off, thinking there is some emergency ahead, a cougar maybe? a wounded kid? "What's wrong?" I ask. "No bikes allowed on odd days!!!" she screams. "I know, but today is the 16th." "IT"S THE 15th!!!!" So I bust out my phone to shut this old harpy up, and sure enough it's the 15th. haha. My son's birthday is on the 16th and we were having a party for him that night, but I forgot we were celebrating a day early. So I apologize and try to explain, but she is having none of it. I have never seen someone more angry on the hills. Probably a good minute or 2 of just her yelling, calling me a liar and an a$$hole and on and on. I actually was calm and apologetic until the end when I finally had had enough and gave her a piece of my mind. I did feel like a fool as I slowly walked my bike back to the trailhead knowing most of these people were silently judging me. I have always tried to follow all trail rules, but that memory always makes me laugh.

Charter member?

http://www.greatoldbroads.org/
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    I ran into a group of these gals while on a backpack in the Waterpocket Fold. They were camped at the same place that was our destination that day, a pothole way up on top above Stevens Canyon.

They were the rudest people I've ever met in the wilderness...all bent out of shape because we invaded their splendid isolation. One of the guys in my group set up his tent a little to close to the water hole for their liking, and they threw a fit. Very unfriendly, unsociable.

I also do plenty of hiking with the Colorado Mountain Club and let me tell ya, there's nothing worse that being stuck with dried up, old, crazy hags. Funny thing about them...if they like you, they get all touchy and will flirt, but if they don't, it's like you're nonexistent.

I'm also surrounded here at my condo complex by older, single crazy cat ladies. They love you to death one day, then hate you the next. Schitzo.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Oh man that is funny. I looked at the photo on their website and it could be quite a few of them.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Oh man that is funny. I looked at the photo on their website and it could be quite a few of them.

Every single one of them looks like they want to speak with the manager...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Every single one of them looks like they want to speak with the manager...

I dare you to call out, "eBike on your left", as you try passing them on the trail. You'd end up being covered in gluten free bbq sauce roasted on a spit over their evening campfire while they all sing kumbaya. Oh, wait. They're all vegan so, nevermind. You'd just be hacked into little pieces and used as fertilizer for their wild, hallucinogenic mushroom grow.
    Are we there yet?