Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KSL.COM Offers Free Advertising for Colorado Marijuana Dispensary

KSL.COM Offers Free Advertising for Colorado Marijuana Dispensary

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46297836&ni...es-from-border

The comments section is hilarious, and is rife with Utahns who are clearly fed up with Utah's "morally superior" position in regards to Marijuana legislation.

Bottom line is Weed is now legal to the East and West of Utah, and both Nevada and Colorado are going to build dispensaries wherever they wish, regardless of Utah's moral superiority. In fact, it makes perfect business sense to build close to the Utah border. Economics 101 -- fulfill a need wherever the demand is greatest. It's even better when the local news websites here in Utah are offering free advertising.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Word, Econ 101

It's my dispute with the "last call" law. Utah lawmakers are just simply dumb. In an effort to curb drinking it makes patrons drink more in the last 30 minutes. Also, get rid of the DABC.

4. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    What if, in some crazy conspiracy, neighboring states of Utah were celebrating the Utah laws, knowing they'd continue to get big money?

It wouldn't surprise me to learn the neighboring states had joined the fight to keep it illegal in Utah, and all we do is blame the Mormons.

Look at the Evanston fireworks shops and their decrease in revenue once Utah opened up on the rules. Every single one of these Utah border pot shops would go tits up if Utah decided to legalize. I'm not saying they are involved but it's truly not that much of a stretch to suggest they want it illegal in Utah.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    What if, in some crazy conspiracy, neighboring states of Utah were celebrating the Utah laws, knowing they'd continue to get big money?

It wouldn't surprise me to learn the neighboring states had joined the fight to keep it illegal in Utah, and all we do is blame the Mormons.

...what?

How would other states influence policy in Utah? Herbert accepting bribes from the seedy, underground Marijuana overlords in Colorado and Nevada? Dead air phone calls late at night to the Governor's mansion? Threat letters going out to all Utah policy makers warning them that a move towards legalization in Utah will result in broken kneecaps or concrete shoes?

If you can't see that the prevailing religious culture here in Utah is a major contributor to policy making then you are hopelessly deluded. For crying out loud, every time there's a movement in Utah to legalize MEDICINAL marijuana, the leaders of the Mormon church always follow that up with a public message reminding members that Marijuana is a dangerous drug that leads to addiction, crime and a host of other societal ills. That said, what do you expect Gov Herbert is gonna do, since he is a Mormon himself?

I personally haven't heard anything come from the LDS church about Marijuana in recent years. I could very well have missed it. Now if somebody tries to Google the topic coming from a church authority, you're digging much further into it than the average Mormon would ever care to do, and maybe they should start attending church to let that newfound interest grow.

I always ask myself, who benefits? It usually leads down the money trail.

In my opinion, the LDS church isn't involved in any Marijuana fight more than the average objection to alcohol.

Let it be known that my father, the biggest Mormon of all, is currently looking for the THC oil for his back and feet pain.

I personally haven't heard anything come from the LDS church about Marijuana in recent years. I could very well have missed it. Now if somebody tries to Google the topic coming from a church authority, you're digging much further into it than the average Mormon would ever care to do, and maybe they should start attending church to let that newfound interest grow.

I always ask myself, who benefits? It usually leads down the money trail.

In my opinion, the LDS church isn't involved in any Marijuana fight more than the average objection to alcohol.

Let it be known that my father, the biggest Mormon of all, is currently looking for the THC oil for his back and feet pain.

You may have missed the article in KSL that came out two days ago. In it, the Church does make a stance, and says that they believe an initiative for medical marijuana in Utah would...

"...compromise the health and safety of Utah communities."

How they arrived at that conclusion, I don't know. But I suspect they were cherry-picking statements made by the Utah Medical Association (UMA), who have decried medical marijuana outright. The tragedy in all of this is that the UMA doesn't even represent the majority of physicians in Utah. So essentially the stance of the UMA is merely the opinions of those who serve on the Board. That's not representative, and that's not right. In fact, that's downright deception right there.

Here's the article. It's a pretty interesting and insightful read:
    https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46297513&nid=148

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    You may have missed the article in KSL that came out two days ago. In it, the Church does make a stance, and says that they believe an initiative for medical marijuana in Utah would...
    Ok, so in all fairness, the UMA came out with an opinion, I don't know who they are, and somebody asked the church what they thought of it, and the church basically said yeah, sounds good to us.

It sounds like the UMA needs to be convinced, not the LDS church. The church accepts there are going to be all kinds of things going on that don't align with their goals, and they can't do anything to stop it.

Don't try to convince the church that pot or alcohol isn't that bad, it doesn't matter. Try to convince those that make law, and these UMA folks, and whichever doctors they are quoting.

But back to my first point, what about these neighboring states? We know they love it illegal in Utah. Would they care enough to keep their high revenues to add to the influence in Utah? It wouldn't be strange if they found some way to add to the anti legalization movement here in Utah.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Herbert has talks with neighboring states on the issue. It's diplomatic, isn't it?

But back to my first point, what about these neighboring states? We know they love it illegal in Utah. Would they care enough to keep their high revenues to add to the influence in Utah? It wouldn't be strange if they found some way to add to the anti legalization movement here in Utah.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Herbert has talks with neighboring states on the issue. It's diplomatic, isn't it?
    Oh i'm positive that neighboring states appreciate the shot in the arm that they receive from Utah clientele, but I'm not convinced that it's substantial enough to warrant somehow influencing lawmakers in Utah to keep it illegal. That's bordering on conspiracy theories. The legal marijuana business has enough support in general that they don't need to worry about what neighboring states are doing. The legal pot industry in California, Washington, Alaska, Massachusetts, and D.C. are thriving, and they are far from Utah.

Keep in mind that we're talking about a drug that is so ubiquitous and prominent that it flourishes regardless of what the local laws are. MJ usage is so prevalent that many states (California) would treat possession and usage of it as a minor infraction. Like a speeding ticket. That said, since its use is so widespread, why not benefit from it? Stop holding out hope that someday we'll "win the war on drugs" and MJ will forever be banished from our society. Keeping it illegal is only benefiting criminals who make millions by smuggling and trafficking it. I just wish the powers that be could realize this. They're losing out on millions in revenue at the same time as enabling and enriching criminals.

We must keep in mind though, all of the states that still have not legalized it. There might not be a single Mormon in any political position in most states, so it's far from a Mormon thing.

Now let's say Utah decides to legalize, and so many states still do not. Would the church then get any kind of thanks or even a break in criticism? Would we then say, hey maybe the Mormons aren't as controlling as we thought? Doubtful. So in reality, what does the church have to gain to come out and say "M Jay is Okay"? That's mine by the way so you know where it started.

It's an uphill battle to sway the church, a losing battle. The legalize folks have this burden to change tactics for legalization. If they keep writing letters to the church, it's their own damn fault it's not legalized in 10 years.

I'm not under the delusion that the Church will someday change its stance on MJ. It never will. I embrace that 100%. I'm just petitioning that they keep their morals out of the lawmaking process. Let lawmakers enact sound policy without consideration to the opinions of the Church -- any church. Separation of church and state....that's a thing, right?

BTW, the fact that the LDS church is putting so much stock in the opinions of UMA is a cop out. Do you think for one second that if tomorrow the UMA came out and embraced legalizing MJ in Utah that the LDS church would do an about face and renege on their former stance? Of course not. They'll continue to demonize MJ until Jesus comes back.

13. Likes DirkHammergate liked this post
    I believe much of why utah hasn't legalized yet is much of the same reasons other states have not. And they aren't Mormons.

The legalize crowd has just done a poor job convincing the law makers. It is getting closer though, we all know it.

But when that day comes, for those that deemed the LDS church the ultimate blocker of laws and policy in Utah, they should then be fair and admit that either the church doesn't have ultimate power, or they aren't as close minded as thought. It's gotta be 1 of the 2, when it finally gets legalized.

I know first hand that many Mormons do not oppose it. And I also know first hand many non Mormons that do oppose it.

They'll continue to demonize MJ until Jesus comes back.
    Let me state the obvious... well, I don't need to.

Yeah, public perception is turning for sure. I had this same convo with my mom about this back when Colorado first legalized recreational. I remember saying that it would eventually become legal everywhere as public opinion is shifting in support of it. She made the valid point that in order for it to become legal everywhere it would require the baby boomers to die off and the up-and-coming generation to embrace it. Many baby boomers are still stuck in the "Reefer Madness" mind set, and always will be.

Some independent polls have found that almost 80% of registered voters in Utah favor legalizing medicinal. That's a very high margin. When the voting constituency holds an 80% approval rating for anything it's time to take notice.

Nationwide the anti pot folks are certainly not all Mormon, but they are mainly religious conservatives. In Utah the religious conservatives are mostly Mormon. It isn't much of a stretch to say LDS culture and the powers that be at church headquarters are the main reason Utah will be one of the last states to legalize it. Most religious conservatives believe strongly in limited government involvement, unless it happens to be something they disagree with like pot. Or gay marriage, or abortion, or death with dignity, etc. etc. etc.

18. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    ....like pot. Or gay marriage, or abortion, or death with dignity, etc. etc. etc.

Yeah any one of these topics is a surefire way to torpedo a family Thanksgiving dinner...

Some independent polls have found that almost 80% of registered voters in Utah favor legalizing medicinal. That's a very high margin. When the voting constituency holds an 80% approval rating for anything it's time to take notice.
    I truly believe this, right here. And this is a key point in proving that the LDS church isn't preaching to it's members the evils of Marijuana. We certainly know that 80% of Utah is not Non Mormon, so it's unfair to say Mormons are in need of persuasion.

We just can't say that 80% of Utah want legalization, and at the same time say most of Utah consists of Mormons that oppose it. It can't be both.

But the legalize crowd, if they continue to try and yell, email, protest and call the LDS Church to favor it, they're barking up the wrong tree. It will never happen.

We all know what the definition of crazy is; trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Or gay marriage, or abortion, or death with dignity, etc. etc. etc.
    And then Oregon waves at you....

I'll be honest here, I grew up in a pretty cool Mormon family and have not a complaint about it. I've also had a few close family members pass away and suffered while doing it because of the "Endure to the End" mentality. It's heartbreaking, gut wrenching, and those times have been the saddest times of my life. The loss was really rough and final, the hardest part was waiting for them to die and seeing them use pills make them feel temporarily good. When my time comes, I'm going out with dignity, unfortunately its likely it won't be in the place I love. I simply cannot do that to my loved ones. I've already let my family know my wishes.

Ashes spread in Buckhorn Wash, Crack Canyon, Point Reyes Coast Camp, AT&T park, anywhere on Glenmare and Filmore Street.

We have to have new thinking on this. Plus this stuff is grown and not manufactured.

Another misconception about Mormons is that they outlaw cremation. It's a myth.

Oh your are just chumming me now aren't you just because I'm old enough to have gone to early morning seminary and hear doctrine of needing to be buried in a decomposing body to be fully resurrected and that black people were fence sitters in the pre-existence. 2 of my longest friends still talk about that (one is still active). Maybe we had a bad seminary teacher if that was the case. Again, I still love my upbringing and not trying to make a fuss here but sometimes things just seem obvious. It's okay to state things obvious, which are obvious. Then act on your free will.

And using the term "outlawed" is fake news. You may have got me on a technicality.

Sombeech and Co,

You're welcome to visit me at these locales when I go:

Ashes spread in Buckhorn Wash, Crack Canyon, Point Reyes Coast Camp, AT&T park, anywhere on Glenmare and Filmore Street.

25. Likes Sombeech liked this post